Honda Insight Forum banner

took my car in but i don't understand the report

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JustinGray 
#1 ·
hi,
my car got into an accident and was supposed to be repaired. i took it in because i knew that something was still wrong with it, here's what they found out:

"front sway bar, mounting bracket and end links are completely missing. front stay arm bushings left off causing excess play in the front suspension..."

i already got a swaybar with the bushings and brackets for it. i also got a front and rear engine mounts, and 2 end links.

i don't know what the stay arm bushings are, so what should i buy? some control arm bushings? or it is something different?

help me please, i'm going to order the parts on my own.

sincerely,

thomas

#2 ·
I think i can be of help here. First of all the bushins you want are two rubber mounting bushings. They sit on the longest part of the sway bar and hold it to what ever it is mounted to. Helps them work better.

Second your best bet for any parts is the majestic honda site. Online, factory parts!

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... isplay.jsp

That is the site you wanted.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... +LOWER+ARM

That is the exact page you want... the the links you need are parts 7/8

the bushings are part 5($2.42). But you may also want the bracket and screw... so parts 6($3.56) and 29 (65 cents) as well. Just took a quick look at the parts page but i think you want two of everything!

Good luck... let me know if you need any advice on the install...

#3 ·
I would ask the guy how wrote the thing to explain it to you

I second Justin , I believe the parts 7 and 8 are not installed. And although the holder 6 is present, the bushing 5 is not installed so the sway bar can move up/down within the holder.
You need the bushing 5
But again, you wrote that you have the bushing so..? "i already got a swaybar with the bushings and brackets for it."

#4 ·
yea, when i said i got the sway bar..... i meant i just ordered it online. my biggest trouble was to find the part that he was talking about last (stay arm bushing). i know something is missing in my car because my wheels (front end) is moving back and forward when i accelerate or brake. it is really obvious when i back up and suddenly brake, you can really see my whole wheels moving front and back....

i appreciate the help guys

#5 ·
oh man... are you still driving it? A loose front suspension setup is bad... bad for tires... bad for bearings.... just bad. The least of your troubles will be imposible alignment causing poor gas milalge and uneven/accelerated tire wear.

My recomendation to you is to grab a copy of the insight shop manual... turn to the pages on front suspension. We have a mcferson strut setup in the front. Go page by page untill you find the misisng components.

i will look over some schematics i have... but i am positive it is not your front swaybar bushings ... missing or not... that are the root of your
dynamic caster.

#6 ·
Oh I see. Then it is the part 9 or 10 that is bad. The lower arm, it is the big aluminum part holding the wheel to the body. I do not believe that the bushing can be replaced. If it can, then it is good for you $$. I am pretty sure you need to buy the entire arm at $204+ US

#7 ·
Wait a minute. You took the car in to be repaired, they repaired it and then let you "drive away" in an unsafe condition? Where are you at, I'll make sure I never go there for service. OR am I missing something?

#8 ·
ok five seconds after i made my last post. I went and looked at the front suspension schematic in the encyclopedia. Cross referencing that with the Majestic honda parts page i linked earlier.... here is what i have come up with.

1) all the parts i mensioned before are related to the sway bar assembly. The sway bar assembly does not do anything to hold alignment in place. It is there as basically a suspension tuning device to help control body roll and effectively increase spring stifness. Although these parts are important for proper handeling.... no way should they be the cause of your moving wheel issue.

2) Without seeing exactly what your car is doing.. or a more detailed description... i was unable to diagnose the missing part

3) if i had to take a guess: I would say that you have improperly mounted either the lower control arm to the chassis or the upper strut mount. Missing either one would allow you maybe an inch or two of wheel play. You could have a bad ball joint in your lower control arm as well.

Is your wheel play on both sides... does it happen the same on both sides?

#9 ·
yea the play is in both side, as i said earlier, i barely ordered the sway bar, bushings, end links.... which means it is not in yet. both of my wheels are moving back and forward like some is missing that prevent that kind of excessive play. could i miss some bushings and COLLAR, RADIUS ROD or something like that ???

i definitely appreciate your help guys, it's my first time on the forum, but what a great experience. thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.