Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 1st G1 Insight. I will acquire a grid charger/discharger. Probably Prolong Deluxe combo -- not cheap. I know of several G1 Insighters in North/Central NJ.

If you are interested in going in on same for shared group usage, drop a conversation to me with contact information.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I just bought my 1st G1 Insight. I will acquire a grid charger/discharger. Probably Prolong Deluxe combo -- not cheap. I know of several G1 Insighters in North/Central NJ.

If you are interested in going in on same for shared group usage, drop a conversation to me with contact information.
How many digits does the charger DVM have (3 or 4)? For longevity the discharger should use two 120V bulbs. 120 V bulbs don't last long on >130 volts at start of discharge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe it is light bulb based at all.

I have no problem making one per your instructions, but believed there to be a problem sourcing the ideal form of power supply so was considering going with a commercial product, especially, if I can have an appropriate commercial product for close to the cost of home made.

I am not resistant to being educated by knowledgeable folks.

Where does one get incandescent bulbs these days? Low wattage appliance bulbs?

What I know about electricity could be written inside a match book cover with room to spare.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So far me and George. Any other Jerseyan or, if you prefer, Jerseyite takers?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I don't believe it is light bulb based at all.
The only light bulb discharger I saw on the site was built on a board with one light socket.

I have no problem making one per your instructions, but believed there to be a problem sourcing the ideal form of power supply so was considering going with a commercial product, especially, if I can have an appropriate commercial product for close to the cost of home made.
The product you listed was more than 4 times the cost to build your own.

There was a problem with building the V1 of my charger when the Chinese quit selling the two LED supplies used in that version. Check out my site again and look at version V2 of the grid charger. It uses one very good power supply that is readily available.

I am not resistant to being educated by knowledgeable folks.

Where does one get incandescent bulbs these days? Low wattage appliance bulbs?
Try various home repair stores like Home Depot or a lighting specialty store etc. I find some bulbs when curb shopping (bulk trash pickup days :)

Halogen flood lamps work OK too. I've found some very small 40 watt Halogen flood lights that were used as trophy lights in a vertical glass door cabinet that was on the curb.

What I know about electricity could be written inside a match book cover with room to spare.
We all had to start not even knowing what questions to ask.

I have a forum link on my V2 article to the charger built by HG Park. Lots of pictures etc. I can't find the link now with a forum search though.

With careful shopping you can build one of my chargers and the discharger for well under $100. It depends upon how much "stuff" you already have. I purposely designed V2 to use minimum components.

Several of my chargers have been built by a friend of the Insight owner that it would be used on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4x+ cost is probably right, but I was thinking split 4-5 ways could be a pretty attractive deal. I don't have lots of spare time for a build, although the DIY appeals to my inherent cheapness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts