Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To sumarise my thoughts on how to improve mpg in order of ease, see below. My top tips! Have I left something out?

1) Slow down, this has the bigest effect. (+ 10-20mpg)

At 50mph in reasonable conditions you should get 90 mpg, every mph over 50mph you go gives an approx 1 mpg increase in fuel consumption.

So if you go 70mph you get 70mpg, if you go 60mph you get 80mpg. Etc.

2) Learn to maximise the lean burn technique, and keep mpg meter at 100mpg or over as much as possible. Lean burn is available up to about 70mph. (Only applies to manual cars, sorry) (+ 10mpg)

3) Use only OEM tyres, and pump them up to a minimum of 45psi, I use 50psi, some in US use 60psi I believe! (+ 5-10mpg)

4) Install the radiator block to shorten engine warm up time. (+ 5-10mpg)

5) Use minimum friction braking whilst maximising regen braking.
(+ 1-2mpg)

6) Install the hot air intake mod (+ 5mpg)

7) Install the brake and clutch switch mod (+ 1-2mpg)

8) If you can afford it, install MIMA for total IMA control (+ 10mpg)

Regards

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Downshift going up long hills. Use synthetic oil. Use a block heater in the winter. Time lights. Keep accellerator position steady when possible. Deactivate AC with two clicks of the ECON button when temperature permits. Pull the fuse for the rear defroster if your climate conditions allow good visibility otherwise. :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
These are the two biggest ones:

1) Keep your speed in the 45-55mph range as muich as practical

2) Maintain a steady speed (i.e. keep your accelerations and braking to a minimum)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Learn to drive the optimal racing line though the corners in order to maintain your speed, so you don't have to accelerate as much after the corner. :badgrin:

G

·
0 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Downshift going up long hills. Use synthetic oil. Use a block heater in the winter. Time lights. :D
Blowing Stop signs (mostly on right turns) and coasting thru Yellow/Red stoplights is great for MPG!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Don't forget that heating your engine with a heater isn't free either, as some power plant somewhere is probably dumping out plenty of CO2.

Slap up some solar panels on your house, and then heat your engine in a green way!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Sadly the energy required to produce silicon solar panels takes many years to recover. That's why conservation and efficiency are so important.

The Prius preheats the engine with fluid warmed by the previous day's waste energy. Were such a system used on the Insight, only a tiny solar array would be needed to keep this stored fluid hot in a thermos. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just wondering, is the warm intake method used to get the car to go into a lean burn mode? If that's so then the CVT owners are out of luck.

As far as increasing mileage, ditching the side mirrors for cameras is a great way to reduce drag. Another way is to attach a rubber fairing to the bottom of the car to keep air from going under there.

J-P

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Just like the 5 speed MT Insights, CVTs have an MPG loss during the
winter months as well. The warm air mod helps both car styles obtain
better fuel economy. Have you ever seen those items on ebay that
offer more horsepower by modifying the intake air temp. It is basically
a resistor placed on the air intake temp sensor to trick the computer
that it is always cold. The computer modifies the air fuel ratio to a richer
mixture (providing more hosrepower???)... Anyway, if you could change
the temp of the air in the intake, the fuel mixture would be more like
summer temps (leaner) providing better fuel economy. Both styles of
Insights benefit from this mod but the MT will also enable lean burn
to behave closer to the summer time manner.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
338 Posts
yeah!

Guillermo said:
Learn to drive the optimal racing line though the corners in order to maintain your speed, so you don't have to accelerate as much after the corner. :badgrin:
that's how i'm livin.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
i got one....

TAKE THE BUS
:p

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The nearest bus stop is 45 miles from here, which is OK in the summer, but takes too long wearing snow shoes and pulling a travois in the winter. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts