Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Careful Out There - It Don't Take Much Anymore!

Look at this 2004 Insight on e-Bay with a 'salvage' title. Salvage! 'Totaled'! Yet the damage isn't that bad. Shocking!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=31839

Low mass production costs and high repair parts and labor costs are bringing on an age of the disposable vehicle!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The close-up of the engine damage looks pretty significant to me. The crash probably messed up the alignment good, too. The car may have been old enough that the insurance company said: "Screw it ... it's going to more trouble and cost than it's worth to repair it. Just write him a check."

I would hardly call the Honda Insight a "disposable" car. It has received very good grades in crash tests.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Well some enterprising folk are rebuilding the "scrapped" ones. That's why they are for sale rather than just being crunched.

Your right! It doesn't take much to dammage a car these days. A friend drove her VW into a lamp post in a parking lot. It set off both air bags, and dammaged the radiator and the air conditioning. Total cost for new AC, bumper, cleaning and painting was $8,000 dollars. She was making a U-turn in a parking lot in the fog! Another fellow was pulling a hay wagon with a diesel pickup truck. The wagon hit the soft sholder and pulled the truck into the ditch. Total cost $15,000 dollars. :shock:

Moral: don't do a U-turn in the fog and don't pull a hay wagon. :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
NOT SHOCKING!!!!

I wrecked mine on the rear quarter panel. no broken glass. no airbags.

they called and ASKED if i wanted to total it....

14k for the rear quarterpanel?????

I fixed it. it's fine now......should have totalled it in hindsight....

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's my Insight that was wrecked in January. It was a good car before the accident, but I didn't get a chance to look under the hood after to see how bad the damage was. My only concern was that the air bags didn't go off even though I went head on into a guardrail at ~50 mph, but I still think the car held up pretty well considering that an 18-wheeler clipped me and made me spin out of control on the interstate. The ebay listing gives conflicting information about the transmission, but in case anyone is interested in it, it is CVT.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
The front looks exactly like minedid!
Actually, not as bad. Then they also wrecked the rear bumper cover.

The front bumper bar looks still ok. Radiator and A/C condensor are probably fine. It would be important to find out if the ABS modulator is hit ($1k part).

But even if it's less damage than in mine, the BuyItNow price is quite high! But then again, who would want a CVT anyway...

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
But then again, who would want a CVT anyway
Hey!....I like both types for the technology they provide. I drove a
manual car of one type or another for over 20 years...I just got tired
of shifting (maybe a little bit more lazy than before) I like the feeling
knowing that myself (or my car!) does not shift gears..

Back on subject: That car looks pretty good for hitting a guardrail
at ~50 MPH !!!!

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
348 Posts
From what I can make out in the pictures, the inlet-manifold has a big hole (1st cylinder) in it, and the engine cover is damaged also.....

Maybe it's rightfully totalled :wink:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bet the person who just paid $6495.00 for this car is going to make a race car out of it. If they put a K-20 out of a RSX type-S in it. It will be a rocket ship. They would probally have to build a custom front end to make it fit though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts