Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The annual Tour de Sol is coming up in May. It's a big green car festival, ALLOT of Insight's, along any thing else you could possibly think of, will be there. Many competitions and activities. I'll bet Mike will be there, says Nemystic can't make it, but maybe Kip will. There will be some real serious modder's there, Insight's included. Saratoga Springs, NY, a beautiful community. And spring should be in full bloom. Jack
http://www.nesea.org/transportation/tour/

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Jack, it really did my heart good to meet so many enthusiastic and inventive owners at last years Tour de Sol. I would like to attend again this year with perhaps a new mod or two. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm seriously considering making the trip. It isn't often I'm surrounded by so many of "my own kind" if you will.

I definitely need to get my MIMA kit installed before then! I need a warmish weekend.

EDIT: MIMA No. 20 lives! 8)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
As you wish... ;)

ncnightowl said:
Here's an idea...

Would anyone be interested in sharing a hotel room to save $$ ? If we get enough members going to the Tour perhaps we could get a group discount at a hotel as well.

Oops, I meant this to go in the Tour de Sol thread...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,110 Posts
tour del sol

Anybody on the "west coast" interested in a cruise to the Tour Del Sol.

Maybe make it a definate "mileage" competition. (So Cal-2800+ miles)

Willie

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I don't remember if they give a trophy for the hybrid owner driving the longest distance to the show. They should! :idea:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Man, I wish I could make it to tour Del Sol. It sounds like a great time!

For those who cannot make it to Tour Del Sol, don't forget about Midwest Hybridfest, July 22 in Madison, WI. Maybe some day it'll be as big as their event, but for now we'll just have to settle for a 100 or so hybrids at the event. http://www.hybridfest.com

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I went ahead and signed up to go. Will look forward to seeing all that can make it. I'll check on hotel acommenations. If I remember, you can contact the "tour" for hotels, directions, etc. Stef Komorowski is their Project Manager. [email protected] <[email protected]> I'm signed up for the drive in Monte Carlo style ralley, Fun Display and a photo & blurb in their program publication. Willie, you'd probably (yeah, finially learned to spell it right) get an award for turbo'ing the first hybrid, as well. Kip and Mike, the Fun Display day was where we all got together, have I got that right?

HybridFest in WI, I'll bet Chris Schneider of Honda Motorwerks (spelling corect) has his hands in that. He's known as the Hybrid Guru.

For the Tour I'll be driving up I95 from Florida for anyone who want's to cruise. Could probably meet the cruisers from the west coast, and some other points, in PA. Oh, as I remember, the motels weren't too expensive, just register in advance, allot of people will be showing up. A motel, or hotel, (don't know what the difference is) near downtown Saratoga Springs (it's full name). It's a very small, up scale, country like town, Very picturesque. Mostly tree's, rolling hills, and fresh air. This is going to be exciting, Jack :D

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Jackmpg said:
HybridFest in WI, I'll bet Chris Schneider of Honda Motorwerks (spelling corect) has his hands in that. He's known as the Hybrid Guru.
Actually Chis isn't doing any of the organizing. We invited Chris to come and he accepted our invitation to be one of the sponsors. (Silver level.)

But it's a team of individuals from the Madison and Milwaukee area who are doing the bulk of the work.

Hybridfest organizers hope to someday be as large as Tour Del Sol, but I'm sure we'd settle for 100 or so hybrids this first year.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back to the Tour

Hi Eric,
The hybridfest looks like allot of fun. WI in the summer would be nice. End of July is still a ways off, time wise. I’ll see you guy’s there probably. Only 1400 miles for me to Madison, WI.

Tour de Sol: Map, Lodging Info and Such Found

When we were at the Tour last year, I had picked up a local map that had allot of information on it. Restaurants, Inn’s, motels, gas stations, points of interest, etc. Has at least a dozen ads for lodging where you can make early registration, check on prices, get directions, etc. As I remember, the hotels sold out early for the Tour de Sol. There’s a Super 8 Motel (Loc G-1), Fairfield Inn (F-11), Holiday Inn (K-5, back side of map), among others. Here’s the link;
http://www.resortmaps.com/index.php
You can click on “View Maps”, “New York”, “Saratoga Springs”. Around the border of the map there are ads with phone numbers, etc, for anything you may need.

The map has a location grid. Last year I stayed at the Adirondack Inn, across from a farm on West Ave, location C-6. The Fun Display day is at the Saratoga Automobile Museum where it was last year, that location is C-7. The finish line for those competing in the Monte Carlo Style drive in rally is at the auto museum too. I87 to exit 13, go west on RT9, at East West Rd make a left, at RT50 (also called Balliston) make a right, then your first right on Geyser RD, it’s the first or second building on the right, look for a field of hybrids and unusual vehicles. A little further west on RT9 from where we were earlier, it becomes Broadway, which is the main street for the little town.

Saratoga Springs is an up scale resort village which makes this more of a mini vacation than anything else. I liked it better than Key Largo. It’s not to far south of the Adirondack Mountains. Please let me know how ever else I may help. Hope to see you there, Jack

EDIT: I ordered 30 of the Saratoga Springs resort maps, same as the one in the above link. Just had to pay a few bucks for shipping. For those who think their going to the Tour and would like one, PM or email me with your address and I'll mail you one, no charge. If we have any left we can use them as hand-outs, at the Tour. Jack

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hotel/Motel Rooms

Got an email from James Dunn, said to book a hotel early. So I checked, looks like the hotel reservations are filling up, fortunately there's plenty of hotels in the surrounding area. And those areas don't seem to be to populated, light traffic.

Just the same, if you want an inexpensive room close to the activities, now is the time to book. Went thru Travelocity, found one with a fridge and microwave for $75 a night, can you believe it :D . And just a few blocks from the Auto Museum. Will be arriving Thursday the 11th, probably mid-day.

The Adirondack Inn, where I stayed last year, is already packed. Was told some of the people who reserved rooms for our time period had booked it from last year 8) . Jack

EDIT1: For those registering for events/competitions at the Tour. You can down load the appropreate form(s), print them out and fill them in by hand. Don't try to fill them out on your pc, their not designed for that. I found out from the person who authored them. The previous instructions for filling them out on the pc were incorrect.

EDIT2 http://www.auto-careers.org/ This is the link where the start sites for the Monte Carlo Style drive in Rally are posted. Click on "Start Sites and Details for the Hybrid Trials event", part way down on the left side of the page. Their getting more starting sites, should be plenty when their done. Tour doesn't start till the second week of May.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hotel

If you have trouble locating a hotel in Saratoga Springs, try outlying areas such as Glens Falls..just found one for $49 a night about 20 miles away. Good luck! Hope to meet some of y'all at the Tour.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tour de Sol Welcome Letter

Here's a copy of the welcome letter entrants of the Tour receive. It's self explanitory, enjoy!! :D !!

Dear Entrants:

Thank you for your Tour de Sol registration!

We are thrilled that you will be joining us for the 18th annual Tour de Sol!

Please read this letter carefully – and watch for an email with an attachment of an event news release. If you do not receive the attachments – please contact us, and we will try again. Spam filters are challenging!

REGISTRATION FORMS: If you have not yet filled in and faxed the full detailed registration form please do so immediately! Also, Championship and Around Town entrants - if you plan to send us a photo for the on-site program – you must do so by Tuesday, March 28!

LODGING – make your reservations ASAP!
The list of lodging locations was emailed to all entrants today, March 23, and will go up on the web site on Friday, March 31 for all to see! The special rates end on April 11!
We have talked with numerous motels and hotels in the Saratoga Springs area. Some of the hotels are offering us special group rates (please mention NESEA to get the group rate), but others do not hold rooms, so those hotels are on a first-come first-serve basis. The hotel list is at the end of this memo. We also have a listing for a really nice state campground. Saratoga Springs is a very popular destination and hotel rooms disappear fast – so please call as soon as possible!

EVENT DATES:
As you know, we are offering THREE competitions at the Tour de Sol – and to make it even more complicated, people can choose one, two or 4-day options!

- Tour de Sol Championship –We urge you to arrive on the evening of Tuesday, May 9 so that you will be ready for our first team meeting Wednesday morning, May 10! The event will run from May 10 - May 14, with the awards ceremony ending on the 14th mid-day. Detailed itinerary and drivers manual will be sent to you in a couple of weeks. In addition to all the usual technical events, be prepared to make a short presentation about your project – and participate in a talent show!

- Monte Carlo-style Rally & Fuel Efficiency Competition – This is the most complex event as there are many choices! If you have not yet filled in and faxed the full detailed registration form please do so immediately! If you have sent in your registration, have your plans changed, or you do you have any questions? Please see our web site for details, or send us an email if you have any questions.

- E-Bike & scooter and NEV events – Again there are many options here. If you have any questions, please email us.

LOGISTICS OVERVIEW: The logistics of the Tour de Sol are very straightforward this year! Our “home base” will be at the beautiful historic Saratoga Spa State Park, in the patrons parking lot next to the Saratoga Automobile Museum. Following is a quick overview.

May 10: Technical testing for Championship participants

May 11: Business and government leaders and the press are invited to attend an exclusive “Made in NYS” advanced transportation expo and sneak preview of the Tour de Sol at the Saratoga Technology and Energy Park in Malta. Afternoon activities planned for Championship participants.

May 12: Our “Student Day” will bring over 1000 students to the Tour de Sol and Saratoga Automobile Museum. Afternoon range event for Championship and NEV participants and Fuel Efficiency Challenge for Monte Carlo-style Rally participants.

May 13: Tour de Sol, America’s #1 green car show will be held at Saratoga Spa State Park and Museum’s Spring Auto Show. This will be followed by an Awards ceremony for Monte Carlo-style Rally entrants; an Autocross event for Championship and Monte Carlo-style Rally entrants; and a range event for e-bike entrants; and an Awards Ceremony for Around Town Vehicle Participants.

DIRECTIONS to home base - search MapQuest for your best route:
Saratoga Auto Museum, 110 Avenue of the Pines, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

RULES: Downloadable on the web site
Championship participants: please note that the number of points you can earn for each event has been changed from last year. Efficiency and climate change emissions carry more weight than in the past!

DRIVERS MANUAL for Championship entrants only: Please look for the Drivers Manual in late April.

FUELING & CHARGING: at home base.
• Charging will be available at home base for 12 hours each day on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings. If you need charging on Saturday, please notify us immediately!
• Charging with biodiesel will be available at home base. Times will be posted.

PLEASE PROMOTE THE TOUR DE SOL AND MAKE a HUGE BUZZ!
With President Bush’s acknowledgement that we need to break our addiction to oil, media interest of our issue is very high! To take advantage of the media’s interest, to ensure that the Tour de Sol and your role is visible in the media, AND that lots of people attend our events – we’d like to ask for your assistance. Following are some ideas about how you could support all of our efforts.

1. Send out a news release - If you have not done so already, make plans now to write and send out a news release about your participation in the Tour de Sol. You may also need to make a list of area newspapers, and a local cable TV station if you have one. After sending out your news release, follow up with a phone call, an invitation for the reporter to come over and take a photo, or offer them a photo. Plan on sending out one news release leading up to leaving for the Tour de Sol and one follow-up one when you return. Please send us your news release to [email protected] so we know what you are up to! Watch your email for the Tour de Sol news releases – and customize them with information about your team and your vehicle. You can go to http://www.TourdeSol.org and click through to the pressroom for news releases already sent out. Background info will be added soon!

2. Send out an email blast to your friends, colleagues, list serves, etc. Send out your own emails and/or forward email blasts that we send to you.

3. Please add the Tour de Sol on your web site with a link!

Copy for notice for newsletter, web, etc. for the general public: Please follow our team as we participate in the 2006 Tour de Sol – America’s #1 green car show and competition “driving toward zero carbon emissions.” Please join us on Saturday, May 13 at the Saratoga Automobile Museum’s Spring Auto Show in the Saratoga Spa State Park, NY. If you own a hybrid or biofuel vehicle, consider driving to the Tour de Sol and competing in the Fuel Efficiency Challenge - show off your car, and show how your driving style maximizes fuel economy! Prizes awarded! http://www.TourdeSol.org

QUESTIONS? If you have questions, please email us at [email protected].

We’re looking forward to our time together in May!

Nancy Hazard, Tour de Sol Director
Stef Komorowski, Tour de Sol Project Manager
Janice Kurkoski, Event Staff and Volunteer coordinator
Steve Kurkoski, Logistics and Charging Coordinator
Jim Dunn & Craig Van Battenburg, Monte Carlo-style Rally Coordinators
Rob Wills, Tour de Sol Championship Technical Director
Spencer Quong, Tour de Sol Championship Technical Consultant, and fuels supplier
David Hammond and Paul O’Brien, Around Town Vehicle Competition coordinators
& lots of other volunteers!

Reminder: Look for separate email with attachments!

Lodging Possibilities for Saratoga Springs
NESEA is holding several rooms in these motels and hotels for Tour de Sol participants. When you call, tell them you’re with NESEA’s Tour de Sol. You must call and reserve with your credit card. Prices do not include the 13% sales tax. Directions start at the Saratoga Auto Museum, site of the Tour de Sol.

For more information about each motel and hotel, or if you prefer to do your own search, go to http://www.Saratoga.org and click on the link “STAY.”

Gideon Putnam
(May 11 – May 13) 800-732-1560
518-584-3000
NESEA rate: $159.00 double
24 Gideon Putnam Road (in the State Park)
No minimum night stay
Deadline for booking is April 11th
Directions: On the Saratoga Spa State Park grounds next to Auto Show site. Beautiful historic Hotel for the Spa!
Check in: after 4 pm, check out: before 12 noon
Cancellation: 72 hours
Hilton Garden Inn
(May 11 – May 13) 518-587-1500
NESEA rate:
$129 single/double

Group Code when calling: NES 125 South Broadway, Saratoga Springs
No minimum night stay
Deadline for booking is April 11th.
Directions: Near Auto show site
1. Start out going Northeast on Avenue of the Pines out of the Park toward US-9 N/S Broadway
2. Turn left onto US-9 N/S Broadway, travel .4 miles
3. End at 125 S Broadway
Total = 0.57 miles and should take 2 minutes
Cancellation: 24 hours
The Saratoga
(May 11 – May 13)
(Prime Hotel) 888-999-471
518-584-4000
NESEA rate:
$149 single/double 534 Broadway, Saratoga Springs
No minimum night stay
Deadline for booking is April 11th
Directions: Downtown – within easy walking to eateries
1. Start out going Northeast on Avenue of the Pines out of the Park toward US-9 N/S Broadway
2. Turn left onto US-9 N/S Broadway, travel 1.5 miles
3. End at 534 Broadway
Total = 1.61 miles and about 4 minutes
Check in: 3 pm, check out: 11 am
Cancellation: 48 hours

NESEA is not holding rooms at any of the following places. Tour participants should call to check on availability and prices.

Ballston Spa is the next town southwest of Saratoga Springs.
Clifton Park is about a 10-15 minute drive south of Saratoga Springs.
Malta is the next town south of Saratoga Springs
Wilton is the next town northeast of Saratoga Springs

Adirondack Inn 518-584-3510
$109 - $145 230 West Ave., Saratoga Springs 12866
Best Western 518-371-1811
$119 617 Plank Road, Clifton Park 12065

Best Western Park Inn 518-584-2350
3291 Route 9, Saratoga Springs 12866
Birches Motel 518-584-1484 660 Saratoga Road, (Rt. 9), Wilton 12831
Carriage House Inn 518-584-4220 198 Broadway, Saratoga Springs 12866
Community Court Motel 888-322-7856 248 Broadway, Saratoga Springs 12866
Country Club Motel 518-584-4780 306 Church Street, Saratoga Springs 12866
Fairfield Inn & Suites 518-899-6900 $99 - $139 101 Saratoga Village Blvd., Malta 12020
Grand Union Motel 518-584-9000
$99 - $199 120 South Broadway, Saratoga Springs 12866
Hampton Inn of Clifton Park 518-373-2345 $139 620 Plank Road, Clifton Park 12065
Holiday Inn 518-584-4550 $99 - $149 232 Broadway, Saratoga Springs 12866
Locust Grove Motel 518-587-3778 $65 2838 Route 9, Ballston Spa 12020
Murphy’s Lodge 518-899-2562 2595 Route 9, Malta 12020

Campgrounds
Alpine Lake RV Resort 518-654-6260 78 Heath Rd, Corinth 12822
http://www.alpinelakervresort.com

Moreau Lake State Park 518-793-0511 800-456-2267 I-87, exit 17S, South Glens Falls. The park is located 10 miles north of Saratoga Springs
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=119

Whispering Pines Campground and RV park 518-893-0416 550 Sand Hill Rd, Greenfield Center 12833
http://www.saratogacamping.com

·
Registered
476 Posts
Award for the most mileage and age

Think I could win that? 2000 with 252,000 miles and climbing rapidly!

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Just because I may have a booster battery is no gurantee that I will place well in the rally, it could actually be a liability on a long 200mile race..
1. The extra weight once the pack is depleted will be a liability.
2. It is unlikely that I can get 200AH in the car so the boost will need to be turned on and off, or will run out before the 200mile Cooperstown race is finished, which will count for 75% of the race, and we will not know the route before we race it, so it will be impossible to plan ahead
3. I am not a great hypermiler, don't have the finesse or patience.
4. MPG will be deducted for the charge on the booster pack, and may cancel any MPG advantage.
All good reasons for you hypermilers to enter the race and see what you can do. With and without MIMA.
CU there.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tour Interview

Got a call from Steve D'Agostino, host for WICN, 90.5 FM, NPR, Worcester, MA. He had done such an outstanding show with Jim Dunn, Gillies Labelle and Craig Van Batenburh on "This New Car". A series that ran for thirteen weeks on advanced vehicles.

He is currently assisting with the Tour de Sol to cover news information related to modified vehicles, new ideas implemented and other advancements being brought forth by some of this years entrants to the Tour. I had an interview with Steve yesterday which will be printed in the Tour program and broadcast as a taped interview.

Willie, it wasn't possible to discuss turbo hybrid advancements without me bringing up your name, you are the father... If your registered for the tour give Steve a call, he wants to interview you, sent you the contact info yesterday.

Steve is working on a new advanced vehicle series for this fall. One hour shows instead of 30 minutes with more interaction between the participants. And the possibility of going national on NPR. As more information becomes available I'll be posting it in its own thread.

Babe is preening for the show. A class act, she'll show her stuff with modesty. Relocated the 132 db horn yesterday. Re-did the A/C mod :shock: . Other news, a family of brown finches moved into the shop and are borrowing Half's nesting box. I get up early each morning to make sure they can get in and out ok. Babies hatched last week, mom and dad are zipping past me all day as their shuttling food to the babies. We put food out for the critters, being nesting season it's like a zoo around here... :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tour Interview

Hi Mike,
Knew you'd be interviewed, your MIMA/PIMA is going to be a hot item this year. It has advanced a lot since last years Tour, almost a different animal. You could run, just on that. :D

EDIT 1:
Start sites for the Monte Carlo style drive in rally are now listed at the Tour de Sol web site. Here's the link:
http://www.nesea.org/transportation/tour/StartSites.php

·
Registered
224 Posts
April 20th registration deadline

I just heard that the deadline for registration to participate in the Tour de Sol competition(s) is Thursday April 20th.
So, if you'd like to demonstrate your hypermiling skills, show your hybrid vehicle (modified or otherwise), and connect with other enthusiasts, this event is an outstanding opportunity. The website is
http://www.nesea.org/transportation/tour/

Jack, you've done an outstanding job of promoting the event and providing information.

This year I have a graduation to attend on Sat. May 13th, so I'm not competing, but otherwise working with the organization team.

Participation in the "High Efficiency Competition" event is required to be eligible for cash prizes. That will be Friday, May 12, and considering the schedule, we'd recommend that participants try to arrive in Saratoga by Thusday, May 11 if possible. Although the published schedule doesn't indicate it now, there will be arrangements for Thursday evening arrivals.

'Looking forward to seeing fellow "Insighters" and others at this year's Tour.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts