Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be moving soon, and I have to tow my Insight behind a U-Haul truck. I looked in the owner's manual, and I couldn't find an answer to this question: Is it better to haul the car on the two-wheel hitch or the bigger trailer that puts all four wheels off the ground? I want to use the two-wheel hitch, but not if it's not a good idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts
rwarn17588,

I tried to use a wheel dolly to tow my Insight and found out that the tie down straps will crush the plastic fairings just forward of the front wheels. It was impossible to strap the wheels down without damaging it. Rather than try to remove the fairing and lower front "scoop", I decided to not tow it at all. Looking at a flatbed set-up, the best way to strap it down appeared to be by the rear wheels rather than the front. In my opinion, getting all four wheels off the ground is the best way to go. (You have to remove the rear wheel covers, but that's easy.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Insight towing

Hi rwarn17588,

You should be fine with the drive wheels off the ground. Since the rear wheels are just trailing anyway, it shouldn't matter what's pulling them. I guess you'd want to check clearances at the rear with the front end up, but they should be OK. Try it out, if it doesn't look right, take the dolly back and get a trailer.

OK, never mind. I stand corrected!

Have smooth move!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I towed my Insight about 250 miles when I first bought it. I rented a U-haul 2 wheel tow dolly. You just drive up on it, the front wheels fall into a couple of depressions and you strap and chain it down.

I didn't have any clearance issues with the ramps, chains, straps or ground clearance or side clearance on the trailer. It towed fine with the rear wheels on the ground...just double check that the parking brake is off!

The only two problems I had were nearly causing a wreck...one guy passed me in the left lane and the car behind him started gawking at the Insight as they passed. They didn't see that the original guy who passed was slowing down to get a look, too. When they turned around, they had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear-ending the guy...there was lots of smoke and squealing tires but they didn't hit anyone.

The other issue was backing the Insight off the trailer. The front wheels go into a depression with fairly steep sides (a third safety feature, beyond the straps and chains). I didn't want to just come flying out of them so it took a bit of skill to hit the gas pretty hard to get up out of the hole, then immediately stab the brake just as the wheels get to the top. From there you can do a slow controlled descent down the other side and off the ramps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts