Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the towing hitch options? It seems like it was answered in this previous post, but the post won't load:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1708

The threads that referenced this link were these and they brought up the other concerns about towing weight and battery issues:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/8724-need-towing-hitch-my-boat.html
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/12601-insight-trailers.html

I also saw where joshuagore said -

"A hitch rack requires a hitch... which I designed, and fabricated, and tested. The bumper where it mounts to the body is not strong enough to hold the weight of two bikes with any significant leverage. Over time the mounts which are welded to the car will sheer from the cars sheet metal. It was easy enough to load and see what part will fail. It is possible that a rack mounted closer to the car would create less leverage, but mine mounted roughly a foot behind the car and the bikes 'hung' fairly far out. I could have dont some creative tig welding and fabricated some aluminum braces, but when it comes down to it, all the sheet metal on the back of the car is thin, and any rack I would use would create too much leverage. I figured I would go with something that I knew was tested."
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/19886-sacrilege-but-i-had-do-bike-rack-involved.html

But no luck on finding the details

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
In my opinion.......A lot of work for the results.

Willie

·
Registered
914 Posts
Tow hitch? Yikes.

Shoot, I notice the difference one more passenger adds, as it won't go up my driveway with another passenger and the A/C on. Had to turn off the A/C first. :) I can't imagine towing anything.

Tim

·
Registered
813 Posts
The car officially has a 365lb payload capacity, including the driver. We all know this is understated (I weigh 210lb, and my gf 265, and we tote us and about 200lbs of stuff to trade shows in my insight on a regular basis, granted, theres not much suspension travel left), but its certainly not a vehicle to tow anything with.

I've only ever seen one insight towing anything, and it was a very small, custom-designed trailer, with aero and paint to match the car, and it was containing a bike.

Fair warning: with a flat IMA battery, the car is unpleasant to drive even with just a driver in it. Add more weight that the paltry 65hp with no low-end torque to speak of has to haul around, and you're going to very quickly hate it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not to mention that if it's a manual tranny the added stress on the ISB and the clutch... if it's an auto the power loss with that tranny coupled with the new loads would really stress the motor. The little car is already pushing its limits without the added load.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm actually interested in a tow hitch also. This is the only real towing insight i've heard of
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/19514-gen1-trailer-hitch.html

that's the only picture of a insight trailer hitch i have ever seen.

I want to make a light weight trailer for my canoe. the canoe is maybe 56 pounds and i don't see a trailer/canoe combo really causing to much of a problem. it's not like i'm going to be driving across the US with it on there. just found this thread which doesn't seem to give us any answers. but here it is
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/12601-insight-trailers.html

good luck!

Tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks timny1984 for the information and thanks to the previous posters for bumping the thread back to the top.

Without sounding rude I am still hoping to find someone who has done this or knows how to get a 2" hitch mounted? I am not looking for the approval or non-approval of the other insight owners on my sanity or what am I thinking to do this.

I of course know our cars have little to no horsepower, very low weight limits, and our batteries don't like the additional strain; that is why I referenced those other links in my initial posts to show I realize that you do not approve of my thought process.

But please help on the how to?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Obviously there are no prefabricated hitches available for sale. Anything you do is going to be 100% custom and you're going to need to know how to weld. There is no how-to but you could try to duplicate one that has been made before, the most detailed show n tell being here:

Bike rack hitch

Note the care that he takes to electrically isolate the steel hitch from the aluminum body, to prevent galvanic corrosion.

I feel a hitch like this is reasonably limited to around 500 pounds pulling weight, personal opinion only.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
If you are real serious, check out what Ives did a long time ago.
htttp://yves.fungiart.com/
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw a G1 Honda Insight rolling down I-20 near Atlanta with a wheelchair rack plugged into a Class III type box (the big one). It didn't seem to be slowing her down any, she was easily doing 70 mph.

Due to traffic conditions and my approaching exit, I really couldn't get close enough for pics. But I'll keep an eye out for her again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ackattacker your link and this one Willie sent was exactly what I was looking for -

If you are real serious, check out what Ives did a long time ago.
htttp://yves.fungiart.com/
I had seen this page before but couldn't find it on the message board, thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What Leeper said, but also the G1 insight does not have the brakes or chassis to handle towing, except maybe an ultralight motorcycle trailer.

Even if it did, the vehicle is too light to do so safely. You MUST have a vehicle a certain weight to tow a certain load, even if you otherwise have the power, suspension, brakes, and mechanical grip. It's a safety issue for you and anyone else on the road.

Sure could be some crazy mpg though. TDi is where it's at for that though.

·
Premium Member
10,321 Posts
You have a new "communication".

Willie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts