Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (to me) 2009 SE G2 rides firm, as expected. Had the car for a couple of weeks now and I'm gradually doing things to try and improve longevity - it gets driven every other day, I've replaced the 12v battery, the oil and filter are recent, I've ordered Honda CVT fluid and I'm booked in next week with a dealer to check the firmware update situation...

However, I was checking tyre pressures and noticed the car had a different brand on each wheel... premium brands, with good tread, but all different. This being something my OCD would not countenance, I bought four new Toyo NanoEnergy 3 and inflated them to 38 psi all round.

What a difference. Quieter and more comfortable. A much better ride, even over UK roads. Also a huge improvement on the motorway, more accurate tracking and much less shimmy. I may still get the wheel alignment checked, but it looks like the previous weird tyre arrangement was to blame for skittishness at speed.

In short, new rubber has made this Insight drive like a new (or at least way improved) car. Well worth the £50 ($65) per corner I paid for them. Tyre choice is obviously hugely important for the G2. Excelsior!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where did you get the tyres from? I just changed all 4 on my 2012 to Toyo proaxes getting rid of the cheap ditch finders I had on there! Maybe it’s Toyo as a brand as my car is so much quieter, and with The tracking adjusted it feels much more planted!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Local tyre guy here in South London. He recommended them, saying they would be quiet, safe, economical and durable. He was right on the first three counts, the fourth remains to be seen. I may go 185 or even 195 next time and see what the comfort/handling/economy ratio is like. That may not be for four or five years at my current mileage, given the Nano's predicted lifespan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fingers crossed the toyos last! I too live in south London I got the new tyres done in beckenham!
Just down the road. Got mine from GT Tyres in Perry Rise, Forest Hill SE23. Nice guy, knows his stuff. Inherited the business from his dad.

I'm sure the Toyos will last well. After all, we're not accelerating hard or standing on the brakes... are we? The two behaviours that shorten tyre life radically. Or so I've been told. ;)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The only problem I see is that your tires are slightly undersized.
The spec tires for the 2009 G2 Insight are 175/65 R15s.
Your tires are not only 10 mm narrower than OEM, but also 13 mm less tall. So your speedo and odometer will slightly overreport speed and distance traveled.

That said, there's no problem using these tires and economy should be good. Grip in rain may even be better than usual.
As the tires are smaller than OEM you do indeed need higher tire pressure that standard. 38 psi or even more is fine, but mind max sidewall pressure.
I run my 175/65 R15 winter tires and 185/55 R16 summer tires at about 42 PSI (3.0 - 3.2 bar).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only problem I see is that your tires are slightly undersized.
The spec tires for the 2009 G2 Insight are 175/65 R15s.
Aggh! I'm very sorry, but that's a typo in the title, my tyres are indeed 175/65/15. How could I have not noticed?? Thanks very much for pointing it out, but I can't see any way to edit posts, is it possible? And while we're on, how do I create a signature? :) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yup - well done. Good you know you do have the right size.

To edit your signature, click on your avatar icon in the top right of the screen; in the list on the left of your account details there's an Edit signature link.
Or maybe it is Create signature if there's none, IDK if it is that smart. I'm not going to remove mine to find out :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...maybe it is Create signature if there's none, IDK if it is that smart. I'm not going to remove mine to find out...
Thanks very much, but perhaps I won't bother. My sig would be, 'I've got an Insight'. I think everyone knows that. ;)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yeah, that's commonplace round here ;)

Once I started modding my car I felt I wanted to toot my horn a bit - my Accord horn. I use my signature to show other Insight users what I'm doing and what alterations could be done.
I don't like the sound the horn in all the small Hondas makes. Good for a moped, not for a car imho. The Accord has a double horn, I have its high frequency horn only. It is not too loud but does get attention. I did this swap to my old '85 Civic too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like the sound the horn in small Hondas makes. Good for a moped, not for a car imho.
That's the one single thing I don't like about the car. Maybe Honda imagine hybrid drivers are too meek and mild to need air horns. Toot! Toot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts