Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I bought and installed new 185/60R13 Toyo RA1 race compound tires on used 13" civic VX rims that weigh only 8 lbs each.

As expected race tires provide unbelieveable grip.
The difference felt between all season tires and ultra high performance summer tires is the same as between ultra high peformance tires and race tires.

These are suppost to be the best rain tire R-compound tire money can buy. And because of this they are one of the least sticky dry condition Race tire. But there are not too many options in 13" and i'm very happy with the dry grip I got during sunday's race.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1364&start=10

These are no compromise race tires so they are very loud. They make a whinning or houling sound on the highway. And I don't plan on using them on the street because they have a treadwear rating of 40.
The sidewalls are rock hard so it gives a very rough ride. But I must admit that they don't tramline or follow groves on the highway like the OEM do! :lol:

As you may have noticed these are small tires with a circumference 5% smaller then OEM (confirmed by GPS). And yes the OEM tires are 2% undersized for the speedometer so these race tires are 7% undersized for the speedometer. When I'm driving 100 km/hr my speedometer shows 107 km/hr.
These smaller tires lower my car by 1/2 inch for better handling. And increase the torque to the road by 5% (compared to the OEM size).

I'm loving these race tires.
I recommend this tire in this size for those that race their Insights.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm thinking that a guy who races his Insight isn't too concerned about the mileage! 8)

Go "G"!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mileage is about 10% to 15% worse then with the OEM tires, it's hard to narrow it down more then that.
Because the tires are 5% smaller then OEM, I have to add 5% to the fuel mileage gauge to compensate for that error.

Basically it now has the fuel efficiency of a CVT Insight with OEM tires.. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts