Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we got a new 2013 LX for the wife, it has steel wheels. My car is a 2010 EX with alloy wheels. I want to put the alloys on the 2013 so I can have her steel wheels with full disc covers on my 2010.
If I swap wheels from one to the other, will the TPMS report a problem or just see the other Insight wheels and be happy? I might have to try this:!:

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
They have to be paired with the car. Honda charges 54 bucks for this, some tire shops 20 bucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It needs to be reprogramed for the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok, we got a new 2013 LX for the wife, it has steel wheels. My car is a 2010 EX with alloy wheels. I want to put the alloys on the 2013 so I can have her steel wheels with full disc covers on my 2010.
If I swap wheels from one to the other, will the TPMS report a problem or just see the other Insight wheels and be happy? I might have to try this:!:
The tire size is different as well.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The tire size is different as well.
But that does not really matter as the rims are exactly the same. Many of us,
myself included have replaced the 2010 tires with the 2012 size. For one thing there is a lot more tire choices.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Each TPMS has a serial number on them, if you swap the wheels, you'll have to remove the TPMS and install it with the new wheels and it should be fine. The TPMS is not interchangeable, make sure its on the vehicle that it was originally came with, or else you'll have to reprogram it at an auto shop if they know how, or at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Any ideas on how to bypass it? Would pulling the tpms fuse generate a general check engine light vs inhibit you from turning off trac control?

I had 2 sensors die on me. Other than the idiot light it prevents you from turning off trac control. This is necessary in heavy snow/mud/sand where wheel spin is necessary to make movement, rock the car loose, or dig its way out, etc.

I found 4 used ones on ebay for 100 bucks. Honda charged me 50 bucks to program them and it didnt work. A tire shop checked them, said they were transmitting, full charge and programmed. It fixed the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any ideas on how to bypass it? Would pulling the tpms fuse generate a general check engine light vs inhibit you from turning off trac control?

I had 2 sensors die on me. Other than the idiot light it prevents you from turning off trac control. This is necessary in heavy snow/mud/sand where wheel spin is necessary to make movement, rock the car loose, or dig its way out, etc.

I found 4 used ones on ebay for 100 bucks. Honda charged me 50 bucks to program them and it didnt work. A tire shop checked them, said they were transmitting, full charge and programmed. It fixed the problem.
never heard anyone trying to bypass it lol, I'm not sure if there is even a fuse for it. If I stand correct, I know that Toyota has a small TPMS computer and that basically tracks the TPMS. I'm not too familiar with the Honda's, so I can't say. I would just get it reprogram and not try to cause anymore problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts