Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I was driving with the family and the TPMS light came on. It was about 10pm so i waited til this morning to check it out.

When I checked the pressure in all the tires it was in the 31-33 range in all of them. None of the tires appeared low or flattened in any way. So I ran up to the local gas station and used their air tank and only put a small blast in each tire. The light stayed on until i drove after about 5 minutes the TPMS light when off.

Has anyone had any problems with their TPMS or the light coming on prematurely. If it hadn't gone off I would be taking it in for service at the local stealership.

I checked all the tires for any type of puncture, dry rot, nails and they all are clean.

I don't have my owner manual available. I looked on the door panel and it said the tires should be at 33 psi front and back. Does anyone know at what PSI the TPMS light would come on?

·
Registered
264 Posts
You're fine if that's all it's doing. I had a similar incident maybe three weeks after I got my Insight.

I had to go someplace really early in the morning (4 a.m.) and the temp when I parked the previous night was in the upper-70's. This early in the morning it was in the upper-50s, lower-60s. TPMS came on for me and I worriedly pulled into a gas station to find the same thing as you (all tires evenly inflated around 30-33psi, no flats, etc...). I figured it was the significant drop in temperature and so I just inflated each of the tires to around 36psi to be safe. After pulling out of the gas station the warning went away and I haven't seen it since.

Any idea if you had a temperature fluctuation that night?

JP

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Keeping the tires at 36, what about in 90 degree weather?
Tire pressures are always measured cold. Never let air out of a hot tire or try to adjust pressure much when hot.
I highly recommend buying a quality pressure gauge. The little pencil ones are not actuate enough for auto tires.
If you live more than a mile from a gas station with air, then a compressor at home is necessary. Proper tire pressures are critical to good fuel mileage. They should be checked at least monthly. If you live in a place that gets very cold in the winter, the pressures need to be adjusted as it gets colder and then again once it gets warmer.

I kept 38 lbs COLD in our 2010 Insight. As long as you do not exceed the maximum pressure rating printed on the tire you will be fine. The 33lbs recommended pressure is a balance of fuel mileage and handling. The tires the Insights came with were complete crap. Even with 33lbs in them the Insight was unstable at highway speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.