Honda Insight Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Thanks for your responses.

I havent replaced the lower o2, but I did clean it, and find that it had a bunch of pressed steel wool around it in the O2 sensor spacer. Removed the wool.

I had another alignment done when i put the new tires on, toe is zero, everything checked out.

The old car's mileage based on pump math was actually higher than the reading in the gauge cluster, by a few percent, but still.

I cant afford a new oem EGR valve, but I would like to try one and see if that makes a difference.

Is there some test for the injectors or ecu to make sure they are correct and functioning properly? I suppose I could get them flow matched amd cleaned professionally. It will have to wait, though, because I can only afford free stuff at the moment.

I dont have a day off work this week, but I hope to rent aleakdown test soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,873 Posts
I cant afford a new oem EGR valve, but I would like to try one and see if that makes a difference.
Do you have rough running while in lean burn? Scott didn't mention any. If so, then I could be the EGR valve, but you can check this without substitution. Just take the car out on a road, get it warm, get it into lean burn and see if you get the herky jerkies when you increase the load slightly. If so, unplug the 1st sensor and see if it smooths out. Pretty decent test - and free. (Remember that the EGR plug has a double lock setup so don't break the plug.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
$42 for one of these:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS EGV658T
Sorry for the personal message, I wrote it before looking through all of the pictures. The valve you posted looks identical to the dimensions of my v6 Odyssey Egr valve, which is quite different than the OEM insight one. Main difference being that in the OEM piece there is a large rectangular channel, and a larger circular valve portion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Do you have rough running while in lean burn? Scott didn't mention any. If so, then I could be the EGR valve, but you can check this without substitution. Just take the car out on a road, get it warm, get it into lean burn and see if you get the herky jerkies when you increase the load slightly. If so, unplug the 1st sensor and see if it smooths out. Pretty decent test - and free. (Remember that the EGR plug has a double lock setup so don't break the plug.)
No jerkies. It will jerk a bit right before throwing the pd 1165 code, then smooths out again as soon as I delete the code.

·
Super Moderator
6,873 Posts
No jerkies. It will jerk a bit right before throwing the pd 1165 code, then smooths out again as soon as I delete the code.
This "may" be the secret to your lean burn problems. P1165 is the first O2 sensor, the one that fits just on the top of the catalytic converter.

I looked back through your posts and couldn't find an earlier mention. Did this just start happening?

There has been considerable discussion about various replacements, other than ordering from Honda. The Bosch doesn't seem to have a good fit recommendation. I'd try to find an NTK or Denso, but unfortunately I don't have the part number. Maybe Scott knows the equivalent number.

There are numerous threads on the subject. You could probably read the experiences of others by using the search function.

edited

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry for the personal message, I wrote it before looking through all of the pictures. The valve you posted looks identical to the dimensions of my v6 Odyssey Egr valve, which is quite different than the OEM insight one. Main difference being that in the OEM piece there is a large rectangular channel, and a larger circular valve portion.
it does work/fit.... right?

afaik... honda Odyssey v6 and Acura tl (or was it tsx) 4 cyl.... egr works

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Only, only use a NTK 24301 for 2000 & 2001.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Yes. Number 1 position.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
it does work/fit.... right?
I cant know for sure, but I tried the other non OEM insight egr valve from i think a civic? I cant remember. But I do remember it made the car buck like a bronco. The odyssey valve might still be effecting gas mileage and lean burn operation, but it isnt bucking.

Only, only use a NTK 24301 for 2000 & 2001.
Yes, that is what Im using.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
The EGR is not the problem, it will not affect the MPG.

Scott

121 - 136 of 136 Posts