·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Hm, I would've held out for an Aveo.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Happy April fools
I don't get it? The Cobalt is a decent-looking car. I don't find trading an insight for something else any more remarkable than hypermiler Wayne Gerdes getting an Accord.... he sacrificed MPG for more comfort.

I've thought about trading my (old) insight for a Fiesta with the 3-cylinder. It gave me 70 mpg in my short highway test & only costs ~$15000.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think the idea is if you are trading g1 for anything else. Although I would trade it in for a small aluminum body diesel car. Or even a steel body diesel would be ok as long as it is small and gives me 70 mpg..... In europe they have the A2 diesel, fiesta diesel , a small opel (GM) diesel or a small honda , nissan or toyota diesel..... Stuff that we do not have here.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
In europe they have the A2 diesel, fiesta diesel , a small opel (GM) diesel or a small honda , nissan or toyota diesel..... Stuff that we do not have here.....
Sure we have (some) small, light cars here (the A2 is nice!), but I wouldn't exchange my G1 for ANY of them!
This assumes of course, that you don't have 4 kids or need to transport tons of wood or dead animals.
We are lucky; now being past the risk of having more kids, we have, instead of an Insight + pickup or SUV, (you guessed it?) ... 2 Insights! (some people have 7 or more)
For me there is no substitute. If something really interesting came onto the market, maybe I would buy it (as a last (ad)venture). But until then.... love, grid-charge, drive & enjoy!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sure we have (some) small, light cars here (the A2 is nice!), but I wouldn't exchange my G1 for ANY of them!
This assumes of course, that you don't have 4 kids or need to transport tons of wood or dead animals.
We are lucky; now being past the risk of having more kids, we have, instead of an Insight + pickup or SUV, (you guessed it?) ... 2 Insights! (some people have 7 or more)
For me there is no substitute. If something really interesting came onto the market, maybe I would buy it (as a last (ad)venture). But until then.... love, grid-charge, drive & enjoy!
Thank you Dado, that is the spirit! Mine was weakened a little but now I am back in shape!

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I agree, as a moderator and insight owner I am rather disappointed in your joke. Insight owners are rather creative in everything they do. Plus the cobalt isnt a bad car. You can pick used ones up cheap and they even offered boosted ones plus there is a ton of aftermarket support.

·
Registered
386 Posts
G.M is in a heap of trouble. Because its a universal key switch it's affects at last count 5.6 -7 millions cars I just seen, they have no final numbers as the hunt of what models is still in progress, it's goes back to 2004 cars and trucks van, SUVs. Cross models.
If you use just a light keys the switch can spring to off and a few owners said it does lock, gm is avoilding that word just no air bag deployment.
To make matter worst, beside delay replacment from 04 they did a partial replacement and did stock ware houses with the new key lock but the serial number wasnt change, so they have no way to know what car was replaced. This could figure out with The same owner, but lost with resale cars. And Probably inventory books might sove the warehouse part problem Or just dump or take the millions lock apart to check.;)

I tryed to complied a list of recalls this year but my low memory tablet can't hold the pages and I lose my comments, but belive me they got ton and ton of diffrent recalls this years, all spaced out and not publicized fully guess why?
"As reported by The Detroit News' David Shepardson, GM has now recalled nearly ten times as many cars as it did all of last year" . So not sure that 7 million cars is the total or likely not.
Just a big hump for G.M , and a message for all car makers to correct the defect at the earliest sign. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I think at this point and time all automotive manufactures have had major recalls, gm just didnt handle it that well. Could of been the culture, those reading the writing on the wall and wanting job security.

Regardless, I drove an Impala and I had no complaints. It wouldnt be too hard to trade my insight for one as an out right trade.:cool:

·
Registered
386 Posts
They all have and it's weekly now
The camero look nice, but me too, Iam finish with new cars can't see paying 20 k for a new car anymore. It nice but the value not worth it. I have been paying cash and used for a while now. these simply thing matters if you do the math.
Debt free feel nice.;)

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
You indirectly made a point. If soo many gm vehicles have this flaw, why only 14 or so deaths? I mean there vehicles are used for rental companies, police departments, etc.

Then you got performance options such as larger engines for the vehicles, super charger option and the no lift shift feature. Sounds like in that case its more of a perfect storm of issues vs being fault of gm or the user.

Not sure about the island you live on, but in the mainland when you drive a car that looks like a police car or used by most police departments people behave around you. They respect, remember and carry out the rules of he road.

Many used cars here in the lower 48 hold their resell value. Its not uncommon to find a vehicle with over a hundred thousand miles to go for 5 digits. :confused: I wouldnt mind a diesel truck for hauling stuff to the dump that is still road worthly, but I aint spending ten grand on that.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Please name a car company that has not defrauded customers..... I can think of none. GM deserves to be crucified but so too does every other car megacorp:

Honda - **** batteries & replace them with "new" batteries that are used
Toyota - voided engine warranties (leaving customers with $7000 replacement cost)
Ford - lied on Cmax economy sticker
Hyundai/Kia - lied on all economy stickers
VW - fuel pumps implied, engine dies, and they void the warranty in response.
on and on and on

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
You make a good point. As a former QA, the stats do not add up for millions of cars to have this fault over a decade and half and only 14 deaths?!?!?!? These people would of had better changes of winning the lottery.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The only thing I'd trade my G1 for... maybe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts