Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom is looking at getting the new honda plug in hybrid. What is that, the clarity?

She currently has a first gen nissan leaf. The dealer is offering a minimum trade in value of 3k, with no other deals, at MSRP.

I got tapped on the shoulder because my mom believes I have the cheapest car in the family. I'm both flattered that she notices my frugalness but a little offended by the idea she thinks the insight is worth less than anything else.

She might be right, $$wise, but there's no other cars that get the same highway fuel economy.

I'm strongly considering saying yes, and my mom wants me to go back to the dealship with her to finalize the deal and trade in my old insight.

The bad thing is the dealership auctions most of "these" cars off, anything more than 10 years old ,or in less than perfect condition. If not I could be sneaky and buy it back off their lot for what would probably be a few hundred bucks.

So while I'm excited at the possibility of using no gas, I will miss the long rage of the insight.

What wouod you do?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My mom is looking at getting the new honda plug in hybrid. What is that, the clarity?

She currently has a first gen nissan leaf. The dealer is offering a minimum trade in value of 3k, with no other deals, at MSRP.

I got tapped on the shoulder because my mom believes I have the cheapest car in the family. I'm both flattered that she notices my frugalness but a little offended by the idea she thinks the insight is worth less than anything else.

She might be right, $$wise, but there's no other cars that get the same highway fuel economy.

I'm strongly considering saying yes, and my mom wants me to go back to the dealship with her to finalize the deal and trade in my old insight.

The bad thing is the dealership auctions most of "these" cars off, anything more than 10 years old ,or in less than perfect condition. If not I could be sneaky and buy it back off their lot for what would probably be a few hundred bucks.

So while I'm excited at the possibility of using no gas, I will miss the long rage of the insight.

What wouod you do?

Well if you want my insight, you can't have it; I'm still driving it. But if you want to know what I would do, given the age, and how many miles are on her, I would just trade her in, and get me a new mom.

But seriously, these cars are getting rarer by the day, every time another one goes to the boneyard, or the crusher. If the body on yours is in good shape, I would try to hold onto it, if it were me. In all likelihood, the dealer is just playing a game, to make you think that they're giving some kind of a deal on a "trade-in", when all they're really doing, is jacking the final price of the vehicle up by the majority of what they're "giving" you back for your trade-in. Better to just sell a vehicle outright, to a private party, for something close to what it's actually worth, then use that cash as part of the downpayment for the new car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trading my Insight with 311K miles to the replace your ride program and getting a first gen Volt.

They are giving me $9500 for the Insight.

So depending on where you live and if you have time find a state funded program if one exists where you live.

Will be posting a part out thread soon if anyone needs parts too.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,448 Posts
You'll probably regret trading in the Insight.

Your mom should absolutely swap the Leaf for a Clarity, the Clarity is an excellent vehicle.

She shouldn't trade in the leaf though, instead she should sell it on Craigslist or Ebay and use the cash towards the Clarity.

Tell us more about your Insight -- year, transmission, IMA condition, body condition, interior, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
What is the "replace your ride program"?
That's some hi bucks for a hi mileage Insight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few hundred bucks is pretty optimistic. You might be able to get it back relatively cheap if you can catch it before it goes to auction, but the last decent Insight we got from auction fetched a little over $1000 and it had 215k on it as well as the IMA light being on. It's definitely worth it for the dealer to send to auction because people are still paying for them.

I'm trading my Insight with 311K miles to the replace your ride program and getting a first gen Volt.

They are giving me $9500 for the Insight.
Dear lord, how much are you about to pay for this first gen Volt? It sounds like they've got it priced about $8500 over market value and are able to discount it that much and still make a profit.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
I find that hard to believe. If true, no wonder Cali is always in financial trouble.
They're in trouble because 90% of the population are wage slaves and can't afford to purchase property or housing. Revolution is coming. Chop chop!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paying a thousand out the door for the volt. Here in CA it has a 10/150K warranty on the battery too.

Ya check replaceyouride.com
No reason to take my word on it.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
They're in trouble because 90% of the population are wage slaves and can't afford to purchase property or housing. Revolution is coming. Chop chop!

The cost of housing is the problem more than the wage is. Many areas of California and other west coast cities, or large cities on the east coast like NYC have housing costs that would buy a mansion in the midwest. I know someone who paid nearly $700k for an average sized 4 bedroom house that would be $250k here. Meanwhile $700k here buys a massive house and the property tax would also be correspondingly very high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts