Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guy's think of the transmission gearing of our Insight
I think the second gear is way to tall, 1st gear @ 6300rpm shift into second gear and the engines drop to 3000rpm. I think it should drop to 4000 or 4500rpm to remain in the power band.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
To each his own but,

Umm I think you've missed the entire design philosophy behind the Insight. At any RPM above 2200 you're outside the MPG "band."

The Insight's engine isn't a high RPM design engine. Its primarily designed for low end torque at a loss of high RPM power. Thus the ratio gap you are experiencing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I race my Insight and I wish it was a 6 speed with the 4th gear where the 3rd gear is now...

So the best I can do is order very small diameter race tires.
I'm hoping to get 185/60R13 Toyo RA1 to put on my 8 lb VX civic rims. Diameter is 21.7 instead of OEM diameter of 22.5
It should give me 5% more torque in first gear and low RPM 2nd gear...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have to agree,

I like the overall spread (i.e. 1st gear is low enough and 5th gear is tall enough), but they did not spread the ratios out evenly. The spacing between 4th and 5th is much too small and between 1st and 2nd is too large. The gap from 2nd to 3rd is too large for my tastes too.

You can see this in the Insight gear ratio graph

Too bad they did not use a 6 speed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would have to agree. I don't see how lowering the ratio for 2nd, and a little for 3rd too, would make a big overall difference. How much time do you spend in 2nd anyway?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts