Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the transmission out and am ready to start getting the new one in. I haven't really found much on it because I don't know the part names. What is the trick of taking the trans axle housing removed. If that is not what those are called, I apologize. To pinpoint the part, it's the part with the goo in it. Obviously, I am going to clean that up and get new grease in there, but I am just needing to know how to get that out of the old transmission.
WP_20200630_19_06_02_Pro.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
With a pry bar or large screwdriver. Put it between the transmission housing and the part and give it a swift snap prying it outward and it should just pop out.
Did you take the boot off and apart?

Scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a pry bar or large screwdriver. Put it between the transmission housing and the part and give it a swift snap prying it outward and it should just pop out.
Did you take the boot off and apart?

Scott
I have detached pretty much every single part that needed to come off. The newer one has all the things on it that I can use as reference when reconnecting it. So, I assume I have taken off what you are talking about. So, basically I just pry it out by using the space between the housing and the transmission itself? If I am understanding you correctly, that is better than what I originally thought I might have to do. I was worried I would have to open it up to remove it, so this is good news. Thank you very much for the reply.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
What you have there is the CV axle inner joint. Typically that doesn't come apart from the rest of the CV axle, you pull the axle off the transmission whole. Sometimes they don't go back together right. Check the insides for wear before you put it back together and make sure there is ZERO grit or dirt in there.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,594 Posts
It looks like the inner joint to me, not the outer. An axle should be removed as a single piece.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those axle housing came out pretty easy, thankfully. Now, as you may notice that the gear there is what came out. The newer transmission has the giant gear on it. I believe that is the flywheel. To my understanding, that is suppose to just slide out and it isn't sliding out. The big gear is there and then there is what looks like a fiberglass barrier behind the gear that is exposed. Since it isn't just sliding out, is there something holding that gear in place or is it just being stubborn? Obviously, I can't use the old one because that might be the cause the other one to die. So, I need to make sure I get the newer part in as well. Sorry, this is a big process and the internet not having good sources to look up for as far as Honda Insight tutorials go (Everyone wants to talk about Honda Civics when you look up Honda Insight, because that makes a lot of sense :/ ). As always, thanks for the help because the lack of information available makes this pretty difficult when I run into something that I have never dealt with before.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Please post a picture of what you are trying to describe.
The flywheel is possibly the part you are attempting to describe. It is supposed to slide off. However, when they don’t slide off it usually means the splines in the flywheel are stripped and there is somewhat of a burr of spline hanging it up.
It will come off, you have to lift the pressure up off the flywheel and get it as straight as possible and pull and turn the flywheel all at the same time. Don’t forget to hold your tongue just right.

Scott

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Sorry, this is a big process and the internet not having good sources to look up for as far as Honda Insight tutorials... thanks for the help because the lack of information available makes this pretty difficult when I run into something that I have never dealt with before.
Don't take this the wrong way - like I think you're lazy or you need to be spoon-fed - because you sound like a nice, polite guy: A good place to start might be the downloadable pdf Insight manual: Download 2000-2006 Insight Service Manual PDF and Others

After finding in the manual the parts you're dealing with you could then use the names as search terms at IC, you'd probably find threads that help. Or in lieu of that you could at least use the correct terms when trying to get help directly from others.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't take this the wrong way - like I think you're lazy or you need to be spoon-fed - because you sound like a nice, polite guy: A good place to start might be the downloadable pdf Insight manual: Download 2000-2006 Insight Service Manual PDF and Others

After finding in the manual the parts you're dealing with you could then use the names as search terms at IC, you'd probably find threads that help. Or in lieu of that you could at least use the correct terms when trying to get help directly from others.
I don't take it the wrong way. From what I have done with research, it isn't really easy to come across that information you pointed in my direction here. I figured it out right after posting that which is why I hadn't responded, I was busy getting the transmission back in. Which I did get it back in and mostly put together. All I really need to do now is get the last axle in and put the wheels back on. After that, get the rest of the stuff under the hood in order and get the trans fluid put in. It's been a journey and I have done quite a lot of it without asking for help. Pretty much what I have asked for are very specific things that are a bit different on this car than any other car out there. So, lazy... kinda of, but not really. More or less, I am just wanting to get a fast solution to help with this big task. Either way, noted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts