Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again everyone,
I am new to this forum. I have had my 2000 MT Insight for about 5 years now. I drove to Richmond, VA to get it. I have a lot of money invested into it, and I am committed to making it run again. It has sat in my yard for about 4-1/2 years! I recently bought another 2001 CVT Insight for a parts car, but it is better than mine so I will fix it up and drive it.

After seeing all the posts on the forums, I was thinking why don't some of you really experienced mechanics go into a side business of doing traveling repairs? I would much rather pay for your expertise than a dealer's mechanics who might have been in diapers when these cars were built. Put your experience to good use!

A price of an airline ticket is pretty cheap, so you could travel light and take a minimal amount of tools. What do you think? Crazy idea?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Crazy idea?
I'm going with this.

All the mechanic friends I know hate to work anywhere that is not their shops. They have tens of thousands of dollars invested in their tools, lifts, diagnostics equipment, and etc. to be able to do the work they do. Then they have to over the overhead cost like rent, electricity, water, trash, etc.

Air plane ticket maybe is cheap, but are you paying the mechanic the time needed to travel as well? Before the mechanic get to your house, you're looking at paying 8 hrs of labor easily, even if the flight is only 2 hours long.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Hi again everyone,
I am new to this forum. I have had my 2000 MT Insight for about 5 years now. I drove to Richmond, VA to get it. I have a lot of money invested into it, and I am committed to making it run again. It has sat in my yard for about 4-1/2 years! I recently bought another 2001 CVT Insight for a parts car, but it is better than mine so I will fix it up and drive it.

After seeing all the posts on the forums, I was thinking why don't some of you really experienced mechanics go into a side business of doing traveling repairs? I would much rather pay for your expertise than a dealer's mechanics who might have been in diapers when these cars were built. Put your experience to good use!

A price of an airline ticket is pretty cheap, so you could travel light and take a minimal amount of tools. What do you think? Crazy idea?
Completely.

Something like 12K G1 insights were sold in the U.S. Given the newest is 12 years old, likely far fewer still on the road. If you're looking for a market with very few cars owned by a buttload of cheapskates, you have found your market.

Would you really pay $1,000 just to have someone show up for a day? Airline tickets aside, 2-3 hours of air travel each way + local transportation/time + actual work time? No. I don't think you would. You wouldn't put the appropriate value on this "expert's" time. You're thinking a couple hundred dollars in tickets (assuming you purchase them 2 months in advance), a few hours to fix and done. You fail to acknowledge that this sort of exercise almost always entails an 8-12 hour day. Hell, I'm not even talking about the 1.5-2 hours of prep and travel before getting on the damn plane or the 30 minutes to drive home.

People are bypassing the IMA and reluctant to drop $2200 on a new battery... what makes you think they'll spend $1000 just for a few hours of an "expert's" time?

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
I agree. It would probably be cheaper to ship the car to Scott in Covina than it would be to pay what it would cost to get somebody to your place to work on it.

So what is wrong with it? We can give you a lot of advice here.

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crazy Idea

Well, it was just a thought! I used to live in South Bend, Indiana. Home of the Studebaker. There is a very dedicated fan base of those vehicles, and I see that there is the same dedication for Insights. I guess with the Internet, things can be researched, parts found, and cars repaired a lot easier than the days when I was younger. Don't mind me, I get a lot of crazy ideas!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is wrong with it?

I agree. It would probably be cheaper to ship the car to Scott in Covina than it would be to pay what it would cost to get somebody to your place to work on it.

So what is wrong with it? We can give you a lot of advice here.

Sam
I wish I knew what is wrong with it. The dealer wants about $4,500 for all three repairs. A/C condenser noise, IMA Battery Controller, and gear shift problem. See my other posts.

I read on this forum that I may be able to lubricate the shifter so that could save some money. I am thinking of removing the IMA, the IMA battery is probably shot anyway.

·
Registered
354 Posts
...a market with very few cars owned by a buttload of cheapskates...
I am laughing my (cheapskate) butt(load) off.
For today, S Keith, you are the funniest person on earth!

Though... I always thought I was "thrifty."

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
Well, I'm not going to search all over the place to find out what you want to fix.

First, stay away from the dealer. They hardly ever see these cars and know only what they see in their flow chart or checklist. It always ends up with them selling you expensive parts that never fail and that you don't need.

AC noise might be only an idler bearing. Cheap. We need more info.

IMA Battery Controller. They're probably talking about the BCM or MCM or both. Expensive. These never fail and they like to make customers buy them.

Gear shift problem. ???? What is it doing?

IMA? After sitting so long it is very possible it can be revived with a grid charge. Try this first.

Is the car running and driving? Seriously, I will pretty much guarantee that you could take it or ship it to Scott and fix all of this for less than $4,500. Then it would be fixed right. Call Scott at 909-605-3810 and see what he thinks.

Does this car run? How many miles on it?

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I am in the right crowd, I am a huge cheapskate!!! One of the main reasons I bought the car is to save money on gas. Another reason is that I like the unusual, and this car sure fits the bill! It is fun to drive! Actually, I came across my first Insight while searching Ebay for a Honda 600 Coupe. I used to have one a long, long, time ago. It was my favorite car. I sold it for $50, now I see some selling for $30,000! Hindsight is twenty twenty!

My newest Insight doesn't have that many miles on it. It is about 175,000, still a lot of life in the car. The car was meticulously maintained by Honda dealerships. Oil was purchased at Honda and changed regularly. I am just worried that since the car was damaged about a year ago, the battery might have degraded. I bought it totaled, but it was all cosmetic damage.

I am learning that the dealer is not the best way to go. They already changed the ECM for $1,100. I don't think that was the problem, because now they want to change the IMA Battery Control Module for $2,100. I am not going to do it! I will figure it out on my own with everyone else's help here. Thanks for the advise everyone!

I have to get the codes once I get the car back from the dealer. They will probably charge me at least $100 just for looking at it. Lessons Learned!

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
I would echo rainsux's questions. You can listen for the idler or compressor noise by using a 2 foot length of small hose to your ear. Just be very careful not get your hands fouled in the belt or pulleys. It would be a good idea to tape the hose to wooden dowel so you can move it around without danger. If you replace the compressor, you will also need to replace the filter/dryer to keep the system healthy. You want to buy that part new.

You gotta tell us more about how the shifter is acting before anyone can be sure they are furnishing good advice. You might also try the google search window at top left. I know that shifter problems have been discussed many times.

A grid charger is a must with these cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
Tryingbe, forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the one who was doing a lot of unconventional things and having lots of problems? If your BCM went bad that's the first one I've heard of. And if you were fooling with things back there it doesn't count.

Let me know if I'm thinking of somebody else and I'll delete this post.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
CVT Shifting Problem

Please put the term in title above into the google custom search window. Ignore the first items which are labeled "ads." Down page you will get to a ton of threads here on IC which you can read.

·
Super Moderator
5,020 Posts
I don't think we know yet if the "shifting problem" is in a CVT or a 5-speed. Apparently he has both. I'm really confused here. I wish we could get more information and work on problems one at a time.

Sam

·
Linsight Designer
1,843 Posts
Why not? Mine went bad.

Agreed. FYI: The failure is due to a short from the battery cells to the temperature sensors on each cell... this causes those components to burn up. I've seen this on at least three BCM modules over the years, and it's the only failure I've seen on the BCM.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Tryingbe, forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the one who was doing a lot of unconventional things and having lots of problems?
Actually, I tried the "conventional" way and caused me nothing but money, time, and trouble.

I paid $1500 for the Insight, bought a $100 BCM to replace the burnt one in the picture, bought a $1,145 bumblebee “BeeLine” Rebuilt Battery, lasted less than 3 months before it wouldn't hold charge, Eli refunded the battery cost but I ate the $145 shipping, and I was out of a core battery, bought a $5 Arduino Uno and used Mudder's off-road mod to bypassed the IMA for good, then I modified the starter solenoid to have the starter kick on as soon as I turn the key.

My Insight works as a conventional automobile now, noisy startup on 12v starter, no auto stop idle, no need to watch the IMA battery level, no more force charge on IMA battery, no slower than slow take off because of force charge, and no more expensive IMA battery. I love it.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I was thinking why don't some of you really experienced mechanics go into a side business of doing traveling repairs?
These are $1000-$10,000 (4 figure mileage) cars, not a 6 figure exotic. There is no money in it. If you're not mechanically inclined or have someone nearby that knows these cars, maintaining and repairing one will get expensive if the IMA related systems or the CVT transmission is having problems. Otherwise the car is pretty conventional. Best to buy one that is already done in that case.

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
My 2nd gear grind is getting really bad. I wish I could go someplace local to fix this. :|

1 - 20 of 28 Posts