Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, when I bought my used '04 Insight I found two shrink wrapped triangular deals in my trunk, along with the front license plate bracket which was similarly sealed. These things had installation holes and there was a set of screws & captive nuts in the bags, plus they had some two sided tape like they were supposed to be installed & taped on somewhere. At first I thouught they were mudflaps, but can't for the life of me figure where or how they might attach. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have just figured out that they are officially called "strakes" and were supposed to have been installed by the selling dealer at PDI. They go right in front of the front tires, and attach to the front air dam/bumper
and the the inner fender liner. Unfortunately these have gotten deformed from interior heat and cannot be installed. I'll get another set from the local dealer.

Funny thing, the original owner just left them in the trunk cavity. This car was painted to fix damage left by the original owner's political stickers, which he pasted all over the bumper covers, fenders & doors. The paint faded and it left rctangular images in the clear coat. I think when they baked the paint it cooked these things. (I hope they didn't over heat the battery pack!)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sounds to me like body parts under the front bumper, like the air dams for instance. Are they black plastic? I had to replace a few of those parts when I bought mine. The front is low enough that it's VERY easy to hit things like the concrete bumpers or curbs at the end of a parking spot. The parts I replaced attached with a combination of screws, captive nuts, and double sided tape.

Get down under there and take a look. If any parts are missing, you'll find that the front bumper near each wheel moves around pretty easily. Having all the parts in place encloses those areas and they stiffen up a lot.

[edited] I see you figured it out already... I'm surprised to hear these parts aren't installed at the factory!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yep, they're supposed to be installed by the dealership durring pre-delivery where they remove the plastic covers from the car and take the biscuits out of the springs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Darnit ricky, CHECK YOUR PM's! :evil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts