Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my cvt insight for just under 6 months now and love it. There's a question I've been intending on posting here regarding autostop - but i've been waiting to experience this again a few times to gather more info so my question has some back up...

Regarding Autostop. the manual says that if...

1) the engine coolant is nearly at normal
2) shift is in D or N
3) accelerator is not pressed
4) IMA battery is >1/3 charged
5) A/C is off or in ECON at >41 F outside temp
6) vaccum is adequate for power breaks

... the engine will shut off as you are braking to a stop and the vehicle speed goes below 5mph.

Fine. this has always worked as the book says. There have been a few times when I have been in stop & go traffic and autostop did not innitiate as I did not exceed 19 mph between stops. This again is normal, although I believe there is some grey area on that 19mph as honda details in the manual. What interests me is that I have found that very rarely, there have been times when auto idle stop initiates after being stoped for several seconds. one time i seemed to remember jerking the wheel to the right another I think i may have pressed the break pedle hard to the floor.. I'm not able to replicate this. Has anybody found some way of tricking the car into autostop when you know you will be stopped for a few moments to save even more fuel?

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right down, up, down, up, b, a, b, a doesnt seem to work :wink:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
robgobbler said:
up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right down, up, down, up, b, a, b, a doesnt seem to work :wink:
Wasn't that the blood code for Mortal Kombat?

Anyways, I can't comment for the CVT as I have a 5 speed, but basically sometimes you can trick the car in to it by making it think your going to come to a complete stop. You get 3 restarts and stops with the 5 speed if you don't get going more than like 15 mph. But pressing on the brake quickly and somewhat hard briefly, but not enough to deplete the vaccum too much can sometimes help it decide to auto stop. If needed you can always put it in neutral and turn the key off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Autostop

I have a CVT Insight and in stop and go traffic if I stop from 10 mph or higher the car will autostop. Although, I have the windows down and the a/c off. Do you have the a/c on? I apply the breaks as normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts