Honda Insight Forum banner

Tricksy Tires

1956 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Dgate
Something very strange occured the last time I checked the pressure of my Insight's rear tires. It was a cold morning, and the car had been sitting for a while, so I thought it would be a perfect time for an accurate reading. I was totally unsuspecting of the perplexing trick my car was about to play on me.

I usually keep the rear tires at a pressure of around 38psi. First, I checked the left tire, for that tire tends to lose air faster than the others. This time it was unusually low, at around 30psi. Then, I moved around to the right tire, which normally remains at a constant pressure. However, when I looked at the gauge, it read 42psi.

I have no idea how or why this tire had a greater psi than what I inflated it to, especially after driving the car so long without filling the tires. It was also very cold that morning, and I had not driven it for a few days, so I can't see how heat might have caused the air to expand. All the other tires were almost as low as the first one I checked.

Unless someone is playing a joke on me and adding air to that tire behind my back, I am mystified. Or do tires sometimes do this spontaneously?

Luna
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am familair with the scientific method and checked the air gauge three times to make sure it was correct. After letting some air out to bring the pressure back down, I checked the tire again, and it correctly read 38psi. No need to be fresh. I was just wondering if someone had a similar experience.

Luna

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a digital gauge to check tire pressure. The car was in the garage when I checked the tires, so I didn't even think about the sun. But, you know, there just happens to be a window situated above that particular tire. Sparky5501 has solved yet another mystery!

Luna

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the sun. I checked the tire both when the sun was and was not shining through the window. The result was a few extra psi in the tire when under direct sunlight. I guess black tires are very heat absorbent.

Luna

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.