Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps i simply misunderstand the idea of "independantly".... ?

i have an '04 5spd with no A/C, new as of a week ago, xferred to NY via a dealertrade with a dealership in NC.

From what i glean from what others have mentioned about "Saving" a trip, and the manual saying that A and B operate independantly, i would assume that:

If i drive for, oh, let's say 30 miles, and stop the car, and look at Trip A, imagine that it says: '55.0 MPG 144.0 Mi'. and then toggle over to Trip B, imagine if you will that it happens to say '68.0 MPG 80.0 Mi'. just a hypothetical situation, i'm trying to set up the scenario here.

Now, i *RESET* Trip A, so that it reads '--- MPG 0.0 Mi', but i *LEAVE* Trip B alone, so that it still says '68.0 MPG 80.0 Mi'. Now, ensuring that my FCD reads: Trip A, and i am not in the '<==>' segment mode, but the normal mode without the '<==>', and i start the car and tool around for a while, all the while not touching anything on the dash, not toggling the '<==>' on or off, not browsing through the Trip A, Trip B, Odometer cycle, just leaving it all alone nice and happy on the display of Trip A, Trip A begins to show the results of my little jaunt around town.

Imagine that Trip A, due to my driving for a spell, now shows: '72.0 MPG 50.0 Mi'. I stop the car, and then with the Ignition turned to the accessory, am able to browse the Trip B and Odometer also, if i begin toggling around.

So, to pick up my heniously ugly incomplete sentence, i would assume that now if i browsed to Trip B, it would display the same '68.0 MPG 80.0 Mi' that it did before i began my jaunt around town during which i only had the display set to Trip A.

However, at that point, Trip B **DOES** read: '69.5 MPG 130.0 Mi'.

??

So, it seems that all the while i have been watching Trip A, Trip B is still paying attention to the driving and fuel consumption, and factoring those into is MPG and Mi variables that it then displays to me.

I have tried various combinations of resetting one or both Trips ( i have not tried to reset the LMPG ), or toggling through '<==>' segment mode and back...

I have *not* yet tried to "... Turn off this display at any time, see page 50" like the manual mentions you can do( as i just discovered that on a re-read after we got home tonight in an effort to discover the solution to this problem ), but the manual also says that "Although the displays are turned off, the average fuel mileages continue to be calculated. The displays will turn back on when you press and hold the FCD Select button again."

Is my problem that i have not yet cleared the LMPG once, or is my problem that i'm not turning off the other displays, or is my problem anything else that someone can tell by my hopefully concise and clear problem report that i am not doing?

Am i misunderstanding the concept of the two trip meters completely, or is it that they seem to not be functioning correctly?

I performed a forum search for 'trip meter problem', but i see no seemingly relevant posts.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The two operate independantly - but they both operate continuously. They can be reset separately, and compute their mileage separately, but cannot be "paused."

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
jrrs said:
So, it seems that all the while i have been watching Trip A, Trip B is still paying attention to the driving and fuel consumption, and factoring those into is MPG and Mi variables that it then displays to me.
Yes. This is normal behavior.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts