Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a brand new owner of a 2000 Insight(4 days)....have a problem that I'm hoping is pilot error.....the trip button will not cycle....does not display "trip A, trip B or Odometer"....ie I can't get to the odometer display....fuel mileage and accrued milage functions work....FCD button will zero mileage, etc.
Any thoughts?
The only thing I have done since purchase are change the oil and replace ait filter. Help
Other than that, the squirrly little unit is a true hoot.
Thanks
Bert

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Try pressing (not holding) the FCD button then try toggling the trip. I'm betting your not showing the odometer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trip button not working

That did it. Thanks, Ricky.
This is one of the many times in my life when I have been glad I didn't know what I was doing....Equally happy that some one else did. You took a bit of the "uh oh" out of this used vehicle buy.
Thanks again
Bert

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok I have to ask... you didn't think that was the odometer reading right? Because I know I've seen some in the past advertised with incredibly low mileage when they were actually displaying the FCD trip. And you can usually tell because the mileage displayed on the FCD (and Trip's A and B) rolls over after 2000 miles back to 0, but it still keeps track of the mpg's.

Of course then again don't feel too bad. I once took my car in for some warranty work and I had the FCD one showing and I foregot to switch it back over and a few minutes later I turned around and noticed there were three service people standing around the car trying to figure out how to get the odometer display.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trip button does'nt work

Exactly. Bought 'er from a kindly couple who only drove to church on Sunday(and probably laughed all the way to the bank....not really).
18.7k actual.....and thanks to you, I am Mr. Happy....ear to ear.....Wife is happy also.....I'm looking for errands to run.
As soon as I have some hours on my solo ticket, plan on an 1100 mile cross country. Will contact you with the next crisis. Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I had a minor problem, the service guy from the dealership checked my mileage and now the total doesn't list. Can anybody tell me what I have to do to get the total and my overall average?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Amy,
Love your website :)
When are you going to do a spritz on the Insight like you did for the Rambler? Hope your not waiting for the Insight to get stolen.

I hope this info helps. Its from
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hon ... essage/977

"It is in the manual: get to the trip meter you want to affect (A, B, or
Segment <==>), then press and hold the FCD button. After about 10 seconds,
the instantaneous bar graph goes away. Press and hold the FCD button again,
and after about 10 seconds, the average MPG goes away, leaving you with just
the miles traveled. This setting is per trip meter, so if you want to get
rid of MPG information, you have to do this procedure to each trip meter. I
don't remember if it also gets rid of the LMPG average on the odometer
display."

Courtesy of Geoff Shepherd

·
Registered
21 Posts
Geoff...thank you...I'm most grateful...going to print that out and do it when I get in my car. Sorry if this seems dim, but what is LMPG? What I'd actually like to do is get to the total miles traveled while keeping the current "trip."

Thanks so much for the nice words about my Rambler story. Actually, in the new car story department, somebody did a hit-and-run on my Insight. BAAAAAD idea...because I had to work my butt off to get my car (after lusting after it since it came out, but needing to get my column in more papers to afford it). I was even more steamed because I'd actually had to import my car from Texas because there wasn't one in the eight states around California...plus, it was practically brand new...just a few months old...and plus, it's unethical!

Anyway, caught the guy -- it was on tape, and I got the tape from the store...Santa Monica just prosecuted him...his lawyer called me and suggested paying me off somehow in exchange for dropping the charges: ("What do you want?" he asked.) The guy who did it is 78 now...(I think he might have been 77 at the time he hit my car...again, all on videotape!...he hits me, looks at the damage, looks to see if anyone's looking!!, and goes in the store).

Lawyer tried this one, too: "But he's 78 years old!" My response: "Well, then he should have learned ethics by now, shouldn't he!?"

·
Registered
922 Posts
Amy,

Actually the name is Kevin. Geoff was the guy who responded to the question in the link a few years ago. I was my question back then, so I was intellectually at the same point a few years ago (confused!). :roll:

LMPG = Lifetime Miles Per Gallon, This is the cars total effort over the total odometer miles (assuming that you or the previous owner didn't reset it. How to do this is explained in the owners manual).

What I'd actually like to do is get to the total miles traveled while keeping the current "trip."

Short version
This is a function of the trip button on the right hand side of the instrument pod. Hold it for a a second or two and release. This will cause it to sequence through (I hope I recall this correctly) Trip A, Trip B, or segment.

Long version
According to I.C. encyclopedia:
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... ments.html

"At the left side of this display, average fuel economy is shown. This average is updated once per minute. To the right of this average, is the odometer / trip distance display. The driver can select the lifetime odometer for the vehicle, or switch between three resettable trip meters: "Trip A", "Trip B" or "segment". The average mileage display always shows the average for the distance that is selected. That is, if trip meter A is selected, the average mileage is shown for that trip. "Segment" mode is toggled on and off by touching the FCD button. The current segment is reset by pressing and holding the FCD button while in "Segment" mode. The normal mode display can be switched between the odometer and the two trip meters by pressing the Trip button".

Just don't press and HOLD any buttons Amy, as this tends to reset the various trip meters. Additionally, pressing and holding the trip button while turning the key from off to accessory (I think) resets the flashing maintence (oil) reminder light.

All of this information is in the owners manual. You can also kill the bar graph in the display using these techniques.

Sorry to hear 'bout your new car story. I'm generally sorry to hear 'bout ANY story that involves a lawyer and ethics. I consider them mutually exclusive.

Have you put the story on your wesite yet? How much damage was there? What did Santa Monica do to him?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Amy & Kevin,

Sounds like a good topic for Ms. Alkon to start on her site. That way she can decide how to moderate the political and ethical discussion fallout that will not be Insight related and therefore off-topic for our group here. :) I'll read it. ;)

Thanks for your cooperation :!:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, Kevin. Is it possible that my odometer has been totally reset and the number of total miles is gone forever? Will try to get to it with your advice above. Regarding the hit-and-run, I have gotten (somewhat gently) moderator-slapped a few times in the past day for either being or contributing to off-topic-ness (eek!) so I guess, due to the stern taskmasters in charge here, I'm not permitted to say!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Good teaser :!:

But no hope of a "taste" :sigh: (at your place, er I mean site) :arrow: Joking. (see we're not so stern after all. :D ;) )

FYI the odometer miles cannot be user reset, however its LMPG reading can be. There is no readout for the LMPG miles since reset. Only total odometer miles is shown in relation to LMPG. Different from trip A, B or Segment miles which can be reset and rollover at 1999 miles automatically. The "segment" display is on when the <=> double arrow graphic is shown and is simply another trip meter. But its easily reset using the FCD button vs. reaching thru the steering wheel to sequence trip A, B or Odometer displays.

HTH! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts