Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have trouble with their trip meters? Mine don't seem to be working. I hit the button and nothing happens. If I hold it down nothing happens. The kmph and mph toggle button also seems to not work.

is this common? Is it a hard thing for dealer to fix?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Realeyz:

___Did you accidentally turn them off?

Electronic Instrument Display - Odometer / Trip Meter / Fuel Efficiency Meter
Both the instantaneous bar graph and the average fuel efficiency number can be turned off at the driver's discretion. To turn off the bar graph, press and hold the FCD button until the bar & legend disappear. To also turn off the numerical average, press and hold the FCD button again, until that disappears.
___Just reverse the procedure to turn them back on again if this is in fact what happened in your Insight?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2jrke3nc][email protected][/email:2jrke3nc]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the MPG meter is on and working fine, but I can't seem to get anything except the segment meter. The FCP button works fine at toggling back and forth to the odometer/LMPG etc , I just can't get the 'trip 1' and 'trip 2' to work or the mpg/kpg toggle to work.

Make sense?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resist said:
Sounds like you turned them off.
Then how would I turn them back on? I can't find anything in the manual about this even being possible let alone how to do it. How would it be possible to turn them off (or on) when I can't even select them?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Todd wrote: "Then how would I turn them back on? I can't find anything in the manual about this even being possible let alone how to do it. How would it be possible to turn them off (or on) when I can't even select them?"

Todd, your FCD button toggles two different displays. You need to have the FCD display with the arrow up, then press the trip meter. If you have the odometer displayed, you can't switch to the trip meter. You can't switch from mpg to the other one without shutting the car off.

Do you have an owner's manual?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim said:
Todd, your FCD button toggles two different displays. You need to have the FCD display with the arrow up, then press the trip meter. If you have the odometer displayed, you can't switch to the trip meter. You can't switch from mpg to the other one without shutting the car off.

Do you have an owner's manual?
Yes and I just figured it out. Although I think mine may be working differently than its supposed to. The only way to access the trip meters (A and B) is when I am toggled to the odometer. I had been trying to access it from the segment display. I am still confused about what exactly distinguishes the segment display from trip meter A and B. What segment exactly is it that is being measured? The manual is very poorly written and vague with no definition of what this 'segment' actually is other than another type of trip meter I can use when I hold down the FCD button to reset it.

Is there still something I am not aware of about the segment meter?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There is a graphic that displays in the MPG section of the dash display (the green section) that roughly looks like this:

<==>

If that graphic is showing then the trip button's function is diabled until the FCD (Fuel Consumption Display, the big one to the left of the steering wheel on the dash) button is toggled.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[looks carefully and inquisitively at surroundings]

... am I on Candid Camera? :shock:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
realeyz said:
The manual is very poorly written and vague with no definition of what this 'segment' actually is other than another type of trip meter I can use when I hold down the FCD button to reset it.
Funny, my manual reads just fine and is easily understandable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Resist said:
realeyz said:
The manual is very poorly written and vague with no definition of what this 'segment' actually is other than another type of trip meter I can use when I hold down the FCD button to reset it.
Funny, my manual reads just fine and is easily understandable.
GREAT! If it's so clear and understandable then please tell me what the 'segment' is they are referring to and what the difference is from the trip meters.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Todd - there is no difference, essentially you just have three trip meters.

The trip button by the instruments toggles round A, B and odometer. The FCD button toggles between whichever one (A, B and odometer) of the three you're on to the segment display. When you're on the segment display you have to hit the FCD button to go back to A, B or odometer.

The idea is basically that you can monitor say your tank average (trip A), a particular journey (trip B) and bits of your journey (segment) at the same time. The FCD button lets you toggle and reset the segment meter using one touch and without messing around sticking your hands between the steering wheel to reset or toggle the trip counter.

Took me a while to work this out. I also regularly try to adjust the mirrors using the FCD button then have a panic when nothing happens.

Resist - go easy, not everyone is as familiar with the car as you.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I thought I did go easy. If only people took the time to go over their owners manual then they would get to know the car better. A person can also read over past threads on the subject. That is all I'm saying.

But Realeyz, the segment FCD button is just an easy way to another trip meter. I set mine for any short runs. I use my trip A and B for stuff like how many miles between fill ups and oil changes. Each time you press FCD it also updates your mpg numbers, that way you don't have to wait for it to update on its own.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Resist said:
I thought I did go easy. If only people took the time to go over their owners manual then they would get to know the car better. A person can also read over past threads on the subject. That is all I'm saying.
If you only took the time to read over my third post you will see I said "I can't find anything in the manual about this..." So yes, I can totally relate to the fact that people don't really read thoroughly that which they are referring to.

Resist said:
But Realeyz, the segment FCD button is just an easy way to another trip meter. I set mine for any short runs. I use my trip A and B for stuff like how many miles between fill ups and oil changes. Each time you press FCD it also updates your mpg numbers, that way you don't have to wait for it to update on its own.
Thanks for that response - it was courteous, insightful and pretty much echoes my own statements about the segment meter pretty much being just another trip meter. Would have been nice to have received that response initially, but I understand your position.

Cheers! :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Glad it helped you. Before I purchased my Insight I looked over every thread I could find online and knew more about the car than the dealership did. The Internet is a great tool to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts