Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove to Colorado and back for business. (No, I do NOT ski. Everyone keeps asking me that.)

I drove Green Machine 2 and got some reasonable winter numbers.

NYC-CO via I80 (85 mph through Nebraska) 55 mpg - 2-1/2 days (+2 timezones)
CO-NYC via I70 (75 mph through Kansas) 62 mpg - 3-1/2 days (-2 timezones)

Green Machine 2 got a facelift. The shop next door to where I went had a detailer. He minted out the interior and buffed out the lights.

Interior: $80, each light: $20

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was 60 degrees out there until the day I left.

It flurried all the way back home (2000 miles). I took I70 back because I80 got a bunch of snow.

On the way back, I snapped this shot:

Ever seen 20 bars before? BetterBattery equipped cars can get there easily.

In Kansas, I ran across this sign:

I had trouble wrapping my head around it.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have any idea what kind of trees these are? They were growing near the Ohio/Kentucky border. It reminded me of Hogwarts.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Great pictures Ron, I just bought a kit and polished my headlights also. It is amazing the difference it makes from the old to the newly polished! Not sure about those trees though, now you got me wondering?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Those are silver maples that have been repeatedly butchered (hacked back to stubs, basically). I don't know why this is so popular to do in KY right now, because it always ends up with terrible looking trees.

·
Registered
527 Posts

My pack is 6 years old and when driving to work in the morning with my headlights on I get 20 bars all the time. Is this not normal? And yes, I know what 19 bars looks like.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My pack is 6 years old and when driving to work in the morning with my headlights on I get 20 bars all the time. Is this not normal? And yes, I know what 19 bars looks like.
It is not normal and that photo was taken at 5:35pm (no lights). Would anyone else like to chip in?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just drove to Colorado and back for business...
It's too bad you couldn't make it to Phoenix for the meet last Saturday, since you were just a few hundred miles away. Could have been for 'business' as well, as the biggest subject by far was battery pack replacement. There were 15 Insights there with a few in need. I know I would have liked to meet you and discuss the BetterBattery.

Good to hear you had a fun trip though!

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
I can get to 20 bars if I'm sparing on assist and heavy on regen. Casual driving and it would be tough to be there, it takes some effort but I've noticed that if I use the effort of extra regen to get it to 20 bars that it seems like I'll never get that same energy back out the same way I will if I stay around about 18 or 19 bars or so, at least with the stock pack of both of my cars.

One exception though, when the car is cold, 20 degrees or colder the car will background charge either until the battery is warm or completely full. With my first car I could be at 15 bars on a -10 degree F day and it would be at 20 bars and refuse to regen the highway offramp since the battery had filled itself. It is a good way to get 50mpg when I could otherwise be a good bit above 60mpg. Since I never really need the battery on my highway commute, I use the clutch switch to disable that background charge when the temperatures are low as it saps power and keeps me at 50mpg and barely maintaining speed rather than being in lean-burn as long as the intake temperature is warm enough to support it. With my second car, the engine makes a whole bunch more heat so if I crank the heat as soon as the engine is warm enough to make some it will get the battery warm enough in 5 miles of highway driving on a 20 degree day to stop the background charge before the pack is full. Of course this is with a stock pack.

I wonder if the BetterBattery gets to 20 bars easier because its less wasteful of the regen at higher state of charge. Either that or I've got cells burning off the charge while others aren't quite so full, meaning it could be a symptom that gets worse with a worn out pack and an issue that goes away with a BetterBattery since the pack is new and better. I'm not sure if that answered your question, I'd have to compare by driving a BetterBattery car but neither of my cars has a battery needing replacement yet so it could be some time.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here, I was just driving at highway speeds (65-70) not doing anything special and not using any assist (this car has no MIMA or CALPOD). The ambient temp was around 30 or so and my headlights were not on. The road was flat and level, so the bars just climbed up until the battery was full. It happens all the time with these batteries.

The BetterBattery is more efficient at both charging and discharging (lower internal resistance), so more regen is captured and stored chemically (and the battery depletes at a slower rate when being discharged).

I can get to 20 bars if I'm sparing on assist and heavy on regen. Casual driving and it would be tough to be there, it takes some effort but I've noticed that if I use the effort of extra regen to get it to 20 bars that it seems like I'll never get that same energy back out the same way I will if I stay around about 18 or 19 bars or so, at least with the stock pack of both of my cars.

One exception though, when the car is cold, 20 degrees or colder the car will background charge either until the battery is warm or completely full. With my first car I could be at 15 bars on a -10 degree F day and it would be at 20 bars and refuse to regen the highway offramp since the battery had filled itself. It is a good way to get 50mpg when I could otherwise be a good bit above 60mpg. Since I never really need the battery on my highway commute, I use the clutch switch to disable that background charge when the temperatures are low as it saps power and keeps me at 50mpg and barely maintaining speed rather than being in lean-burn as long as the intake temperature is warm enough to support it. With my second car, the engine makes a whole bunch more heat so if I crank the heat as soon as the engine is warm enough to make some it will get the battery warm enough in 5 miles of highway driving on a 20 degree day to stop the background charge before the pack is full. Of course this is with a stock pack.

I wonder if the BetterBattery gets to 20 bars easier because its less wasteful of the regen at higher state of charge. Either that or I've got cells burning off the charge while others aren't quite so full, meaning it could be a symptom that gets worse with a worn out pack and an issue that goes away with a BetterBattery since the pack is new and better. I'm not sure if that answered your question, I'd have to compare by driving a BetterBattery car but neither of my cars has a battery needing replacement yet so it could be some time.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
Yeah Ron, like azav. said you could have made your trip expense if you had been in Phoenix for the meet. If you had a BB with you I probably would have gotten one. Maybe next time.
(Still working on the recycled cans.........soon)

Willie

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's too bad you couldn't make it to Phoenix for the meet last Saturday, since you were just a few hundred miles away. Could have been for 'business' as well, as the biggest subject by far was battery pack replacement. There were 15 Insights there with a few in need. I know I would have liked to meet you and discuss the BetterBattery.

Good to hear you had a fun trip though!
That's more like 14 hours (each way) or 2-3 extra days of travel. I did toy with heading down to Santa Fe to visit Eli, but it would have added another 12 hours of driving round trip.

I expect to come through Phoenix next fall on my way home from SF. Maybe we could meet up then.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's more like 14 hours (each way) or 2-3 extra days of travel. I did toy with heading down to Santa Fe to visit Eli, but it would have added another 12 hours of driving round trip.

I expect to come through Phoenix next fall on my way home from SF. Maybe we could meet up then.

I'm willing to help put something together when you can give some dates. It would be nice if we could make it a more regional thing. Maybe you could get a caravan going with some West coasters! Hopefully gilbertguy is watching, as he did an AWESOME job with this last one...

Sorry for the hijack...

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm willing to help put something together when you can give some dates. It would be nice if we could make it a more regional thing. Maybe you could get a caravan going with some West coasters! Hopefully gilbertguy is watching, as he did an AWESOME job with this last one...

Sorry for the hijack...
I've got all the contact info for about 15 local Insight owners so keep me in the loop and we can get the email train going for local support once we have dates.

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
It is not normal and that photo was taken at 5:35pm (no lights). Would anyone else like to chip in?
Since getting my BetterBattery I get 20 bars with mine all the time - day, night whatever. Not only do I get 20 bars, but the car stops regen-ing because the battery is full.

NEVER been below 17 bars for that matter . . . :D

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get 20 bars with mine all the time - day, night whatever. Not only do I get 20 bars, but the car stops regen-ing because the battery is full.

NEVER been below 17 bars for that matter . . . :D
Well NOW you do. That's the point. :D

Have you seen an increase in MPG?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts