Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a while. Everyone else seems to find them so easily or running driving vehicles with bad IMA for $500 or less but I can't seem to find anything.

I mainly want an 00-02. I want something so I can do projects and still have my other car to drive around while things are getting adjusted.

·
Registered
497 Posts
IMO it seems to be easier to find running cars than cheap sub-$1k parts cars. Only seen 2 red Gen1 Insights under $1k in the past 6 months; one was in CA and one was in TX.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've been looking for a while. Everyone else seems to find them so easily or running driving vehicles with bad IMA for $500 or less but I can't seem to find anything.

I mainly want an 00-02. I want something so I can do projects and still have my other car to drive around while things are getting adjusted.
If the DMV is to be believed there are under 50 Insights on the road in Wisconsin out of 8 million registrations.

I figured myself lucky to find a mostly non runner with a good ima for $2000 that required a simple repair to become a daily driver.
I had to tow it home 220 miles. My father and me replaced some wire and off we went.

In the last 5 years The only cheap Insights I have found within 250 miles have had major collision damage, blown engines and broken glass and I can count the number on one hand that were cheap.

So I guess unless you want to drive to the coast they just don’t exist around here.

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
IMO it seems to be easier to find running cars than cheap sub-$1k parts cars. Only seen 2 red Gen1 Insights under $1k in the past 6 months; one was in CA and one was in TX.
There are a fair number of Insights in the hands of older guys. Many of us know of such cars. These will unfortunately become available shortly. For a older guy like me, the question is, do I get the car or does someone get mine;)

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
If the DMV is to be believed there are under 50 Insights on the road in Wisconsin out of 8 million registrations.
Fascinating information. How did you obtain the info and do you feel it is credible?

The 8 million current registrations seems puzzling. There were only about 14 million nationwide for all time.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
276.1 million reg. veh. in the USA. (1918) How many in WI?

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
The 8 million current registrations seems puzzling. There were only about 14 million nationwide for all time.
Never mind, I think I understand now. Still be nice to know how the 50 Insights "on the road" was determined. Maybe that is the number registered and taged ??:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
There are a fair number of Insights in the hands of older guys. Many of us know of such cars. These will unfortunately become available shortly. For a older guy like me, the question is, do I get the car or does someone get mine;)
So y'all have been hiding them from the younger enthusiasts. I get it. :p

·
Registered
69 Posts

This just showed up on Craigslist in Onalaska, WI, where I live...

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-honda-insight-hybrid-electric/6805758191.html

They are asking $600 for a car listed as "fair condition, non-running but repairable." No photos. Want me to take a look for you and report back?

- Park

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I know of red cars for sale but definitely not for under $500.
What exactly do you want?

Does it need to be running? Or is it just something you need parts off of?

Do you care if it is crashed in some way?

If you want a running car with a clean body, a good engine, good transmission ot will be more than $500.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This just showed up on Craigslist in Onalaska, WI, where I live...

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-honda-insight-hybrid-electric/6805758191.html

They are asking $600 for a car listed as "fair condition, non-running but repairable." No photos. Want me to take a look for you and report back?

- Park
FWIW this one's silver (per the sidebar.) But people seem to have good luck spray-painting Insight body panels, so given the scarcity of parts, for Hondarider90 this might be the best bet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Went and looked at the silver parts car in Onalaska, WI today. It was buried under a snowdrift. The owner is a (former?) member of this forum; he bought it for parts for his other car.

The car is an ‘01 with a CVT and maybe 200,000 miles. The previous previous owner went off the road and into a ditch, smashing the front bumper and underbody panels and poking a hole in the oil pan. The driver’s front fender looked rough and the radiator is pushed in a bit. Worst part is it has been sitting with the oil pan off outside for a couple of years. :^P

A few other parts are missing - the plastic rails above the doors and the rear wheel skirts. The interior looks fair with typical wear for the mileage. Comes with two extra Insight wheels.

The hood, headlights, glass and other parts look fine.

In my opinion probably better thought of as a parts car. But it could be repaired/restored, with the big question being the engine.

Listed for $600, guy says he paid $500, and he’d like to get close to that. But he also would prefer to see it go to Insight enthusiasts rather than scrap.

There are a few pieces I’d be interested in (windshield, drivers mirror, maybe the battery pack) if somebody wants to buy it and part it out. I’m willing to go in part on it and facilitate local loading. I have no place to store it.

Or I’m happy to post the seller contact again if anyone wants to buy it outright.

Photos attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
There are a few pieces I’d be interested in (windshield)[/QUOTE]

You won't get that windshield out without damaging it (unless you're a magician) - go aftermarket if you need one of these. (typically $200-$300 installed)

·
Registered
69 Posts
You won't get that windshield out without damaging it (unless you're a magician) - go aftermarket if you need one of these. (typically $200-$300 installed)
Hrmm. Then probably not worth it. My windshield has a long crack right along the windshield wipers resting position. No inspections here, and it’s not in line of sight, so I’ll continue to ignore for now.

Apparently little interest in the parts car, which I can totally understand. I would really like that drivers mirror - the only serious cosmetic blemish on mine. Also sort of interested to get a totally discharged battery pack to experiment on. But I’m not at all interested in dealing with the rest of the hulk.

Park

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you can find a mirror on car-part.com and have it shipped to you. They're pretty common in silver and pretty cheap. Even my red one in decent enough shape was like $55 delivered.

·
Registered
827 Posts
cousin and I we're about 50 miles from Atlanta Georgia Saturday got a red Honda insight 2002 CVT $400 is a beautiful paint job perfect window condition The best black tentedwindows I've ever seen on the whole car RE 92 tires like new. The inside was OK fair. Needs a new transmission and flywheel which is already ordered there is a blue one in North Carolina for j$900.there so many cars I'm glad he's helping me buy all of them.he's got2 now an looking for more.there are now seven Honda Insight in Alamo Tennessee named after the Alamo in Texas where David Crockett had his last stand and I live in Crockett County named after him . If not it sure is a coincidence that Davy Crockett Who was from Tennessee Died in San Antonio at the Alamo." Be sure you're right then go ahead " for a little insight remember the Alamo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts