Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! Fred and Linda from Michigan here in 2000 Citrus "APHID". We have got 62,900 miles on this 5 speed now. We're here in Tucson after a week of driving (the long way) via Devils Tower and the Badlands (Sturgis Bikers Suck) and Mt. Rushmore and Rocky Mountain Natnl Park etc. I can tell you that repeated 600 mile daily drives and being 6'5" is killing my behind! Anyway, before we left I changed the oil, checked the radiator fluid and the belts and tires and reset the "maint required" lamp. Mountain switchbacks were handled routinely and as I type we just pulled into a gas station in Wilcox AZ having crossed over from New Mexico and achieving an over 800 mile tank! Problem is we just got the IMA light on and noticed we have no more assist when needed and also no charge appears when we step on the brake or slow down. Reading previous posts I think I'll try to pull the codes when we arrive at Davis Monthan. Looking at area Honda Dealers I see the name of Chapman Honda and I think I remeber hearing about them before. Does anyone remember if they were said to be good or bad? Any help is appreciated. Thanks...Fred and Linda from Michigan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Instant Update...Happily enough, across the street fro the I-10 exit gas station was an Autozone store. One of the guys behind the counter offered to come out and read my codes for free! I don't know if his reader was set properly or whatever but he got codes P1607, P1164 and P1448. Strangely, nothing related to the IMA. I should note the little engine symbol comes and goes with every other tank of gas and I relate this to the O2 sensor which was replaced once already so I figure that code is one of them. Rather than "clear" the codes, I asked the guy to "leave them in there" for the dealer to see. The car had no auto-stop either. When we left the Autozone, the back-up starter engaged to start the engine. As we went a few hundred yards to a stop light, the engine went into auto-stop. When the light went green, we had a normal engine start. Upon acceleration we again had "asst" boost and a tap on the brakes showed we were charging again. The IMA lamp is no longer on. All I can think of is this incident is heat related as it's quite hot here and must be over 100 this afternoon. Comments on Chapman Honda would still be appreciated as I think I should probably have it looked at before we return home.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Since you are making a long trip, I assume you have the car packed pretty tightly. There are three vents for air to circulate to the batteries. DO NOT cover them up! I made that mistake a few years ago, and the same thing happened to me, also in Arizona, although I had proplems in Utah and Nevada with the IMA not charging properly. One vent is behind the passenger seat, the other two are in the back of the car. Make sure there is room for air to get to them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill I have to admit that being an automotive technician and troubleshooter is a bit addictive! I was just about to suggest the same issue when I read your post! I think you hit the nail on the head! Being the tall one in the car "and the navigator", you can guess I had the passenger seat racked all the way back. I also just reached behind me and pulled out a Pepsi bottle from near the floor. I know about the vent down there (and my wife knew about one other one(s) further aft. We'll make sure all are open and clear as soon as we reach the base here in about 15 minutes. Having internet while driving is VERY COOL! but this car has no air conditioning (not that I'm complaining about that too much). Perhaps in another post I'll give a write-up on how my "Classic Air" evaporative cooler has performed so far!

http://www.classicaire.com/

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,924 Posts
If I remember correctly, the P1400 series code all deal with the IMA and the IMA battery. When the battery overheats, you could activate other codes for other components. 1607-ECU, 1164-O2 sensor.

I sssume the IMA light went off by itself. (from your post)
If that is the case, and it doesn't come on again, I wouldn't worry about it.

Engine light, every other tank sounds weird..

Hope this helps.
Willie

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi Fred,
There is only one air inlet for the battery pack, the one you mentioned behind the passenger seat. The outlet is into the IMA box, then down through the perforated IMA bottom cover just above the spare tire. The air finds its way back into the cabin through many openings, only to be drawn back into the battery inlet. The MPI has a separate air path from the driver underside of the car and back out the bottom on the rear passenger side.
Without AC, hot weather, and with heavy mountain climbing, I suspect that your pack got over the 117F that will limit assist and regen. This is usually not accompanied with an IMA light.
The battery pack fan has a poor seal, and can suck air in all around the parameter. I advise people to seal the gap with aluminum duct tape, to maximize the air flow through the pack.
http://www.99mpg.com/mima/install/insta ... /fan.jpg,3
I use the passenger side foot climate control output and some 3" aluminum ducting to force more air through the pack, and will use AC on the downhills to give it a really cold blast.
http://www.99mpg.com/mikestips/insightb ... lage.jpg,0
An Insight without AC in hot weather, and mountains is going to get the pack hot, and there is not much one can do to keep the temp down short of the above suggestions.
I seem to recall that someone also added two computer fans in the inlet duct to pump up the airflow.
Good luck
;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the expert advice guys! Yes the good old heat of the desert SW is probably the culprit here. We'll be headed for cooler climes on Wednesday or Thursday so I'll know for certain if the problem goes away. I suppose people who live down here probably all have AC and so don't encounter this. Still, I wonder if Honda thinks this area falls within their expected normal operating environment for an Insight without AC? The night-time low temps are only expected to drop to 82 and daytime highs for the week should be 102 or 103 in the shade. I'll be back on later this week with an update. Thanks again!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
There is only one air inlet for the battery pack, the one you mentioned behind the passenger seat.
Mike, when I had the problem in Arizona, I was told the two vents in back were also for air intake. That isn't correct?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Absolutely not an inlet.
The duct behind the passenger seat runs right into the inlet of the batterypack, which has an exhaust fan that just vents into the IMA box. I am sure that the spaces in the rear cover were to reduce outlet air back pressure so it would not be a good idea to seal them. If you look under the IMA box from the spare tire compartment,(a mirror will help) you will see a large perforated aluminum cover. This vents into the spare tire box .

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks Mike for claifying that. Perhaps I misunderstood the dealership, which I believe was in Kingman, AZ. But as you say, covering them is not a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts