Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title implies; after having my tires rotated a few weeks ago I started to notice a frequent rotational sounding noise from the driver's side of my 02 CVT. I knew it was about time to have my brakes done, though, so I took it in to the shop. I mentioned the noise, but after finishing up they said they didn't hear anything during the test drive.
On the way home I could still hear it, though. I stuck my head out the window and found it was clearly coming from the rear. I figured it was my rear left brake making the racket.

Over the past two weeks I've taken that tire/drum off and cleaned it out a bit. After reading around the forums multiple times I've knocked out as much dust as I could and lubricated the obvious bits. I've also attempted the auto adjustment via reversing/braking and am tempted to do so a few more times while braking harder and reversing slightly faster. So far nothing that I've done has made a noticable difference. I figured that I should ask for advice before taking her apart again and drenching the brake with brake cleaner and lubing the heck out of everything that calls for lubrication.

Is this actually a brake issue? It sure sounds like metal on metal. It doesn't sound like the world is ending, though. Just mildly annoying; it's barely audible outright, too. It's only loud and obvious while driving next to a curb or another vehicle for the noise to bounce off of.
While driving since having my brakes done I've noticed it only makes the noise between 25 and 40 mph. I don't think the frequency increases/decreases with speed, though. Just starts to kick in and die out right around 25 and 40. Braking doesn't make a difference in the sound unless I go under 25 while braking, but the noise dies out around 25 from letting off the gas and coasting down.

The more I think a out it the less sure I am that it's the brakes.

Any thoughts/insight/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, yeah; I've read that the wheel skirt can make noise if not attached correctly; I've been driving without it on, though. The noise persists and I've ruled out the wheel skirt.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The lip of the drum gets rust build up on it and sometimes makes contact with the outer edge of pad .take off drum and sand down the lip .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update; after having the tire and drum off half a dozen times and not making any headway on the matter, late this past Friday night I was driving home when the noise I've been hearing turned into a loud, metallic rattling sound. Half a second later it sounded like something fell off/out of the rear left side of my car.
The sound immediately disappeared with whatever the mystery sound/object was.

I've been under my car for the past hour checking the area and taking the tire/drum off. There is no obvious change; I have no idea what the noise initially was, why it suddenly grew louder for a split second before sounding like something fell onto the road.

The noise is gone and there are no dash lights. Nothing obvious has broken off of my car.
I think... I'll call this one a win?

·
Premium Member
10,339 Posts
Go back to the place where the noise stopped and see if anything is laying in the roadway, Is what you should have done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go back to the place where the noise stopped and see if anything is laying in the roadway, Is what you should have done.
Heya! I did the next day; at the time it was near midnight and the location was right after an overpass, between street lights. Three lanes of Friday night, off-ramp traffic with no light, and I was in the far left lane. I didn't want to play Frogger in the middle of the night to get to the meridian with a flashlight :LOL:

I didn't see anything the next day, though. Nothing noticeable/large, anyway. On a side note, a couple of days later my passenger-side splash guard fell half-way off; pretty much positive that that was coincidental, though. I sincerely doubt the passenger side splash guard had anything to do with my rear-left tire making a rubbing sound when spun while on jacks; happy to say that it no longer does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts