Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title implies; after having my tires rotated a few weeks ago I started to notice a frequent rotational sounding noise from the driver's side of my 02 CVT. I knew it was about time to have my brakes done, though, so I took it in to the shop. I mentioned the noise, but after finishing up they said they didn't hear anything during the test drive.
On the way home I could still hear it, though. I stuck my head out the window and found it was clearly coming from the rear. I figured it was my rear left brake making the racket.

Over the past two weeks I've taken that tire/drum off and cleaned it out a bit. After reading around the forums multiple times I've knocked out as much dust as I could and lubricated the obvious bits. I've also attempted the auto adjustment via reversing/braking and am tempted to do so a few more times while braking harder and reversing slightly faster. So far nothing that I've done has made a noticable difference. I figured that I should ask for advice before taking her apart again and drenching the brake with brake cleaner and lubing the heck out of everything that calls for lubrication.

Is this actually a brake issue? It sure sounds like metal on metal. It doesn't sound like the world is ending, though. Just mildly annoying; it's barely audible outright, too. It's only loud and obvious while driving next to a curb or another vehicle for the noise to bounce off of.
While driving since having my brakes done I've noticed it only makes the noise between 25 and 40 mph. I don't think the frequency increases/decreases with speed, though. Just starts to kick in and die out right around 25 and 40. Braking doesn't make a difference in the sound unless I go under 25 while braking, but the noise dies out around 25 from letting off the gas and coasting down.

The more I think a out it the less sure I am that it's the brakes.

Any thoughts/insight/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, yeah; I've read that the wheel skirt can make noise if not attached correctly; I've been driving without it on, though. The noise persists and I've ruled out the wheel skirt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update; after having the tire and drum off half a dozen times and not making any headway on the matter, late this past Friday night I was driving home when the noise I've been hearing turned into a loud, metallic rattling sound. Half a second later it sounded like something fell off/out of the rear left side of my car.
The sound immediately disappeared with whatever the mystery sound/object was.

I've been under my car for the past hour checking the area and taking the tire/drum off. There is no obvious change; I have no idea what the noise initially was, why it suddenly grew louder for a split second before sounding like something fell onto the road.

The noise is gone and there are no dash lights. Nothing obvious has broken off of my car.
I think... I'll call this one a win?

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
Go back to the place where the noise stopped and see if anything is laying in the roadway, Is what you should have done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go back to the place where the noise stopped and see if anything is laying in the roadway, Is what you should have done.
Heya! I did the next day; at the time it was near midnight and the location was right after an overpass, between street lights. Three lanes of Friday night, off-ramp traffic with no light, and I was in the far left lane. I didn't want to play Frogger in the middle of the night to get to the meridian with a flashlight :LOL:

I didn't see anything the next day, though. Nothing noticeable/large, anyway. On a side note, a couple of days later my passenger-side splash guard fell half-way off; pretty much positive that that was coincidental, though. I sincerely doubt the passenger side splash guard had anything to do with my rear-left tire making a rubbing sound when spun while on jacks; happy to say that it no longer does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Maul485
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing