Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I split this thread off from Edward Dawes's "thinking about selling" thread as it had gotten completely hijacked and gone way, way off topic.
Bull Dog - InsightCentral Moderator

True confessions -- I also got a manual last week. Picked it up to save it from the crusher. It needs a decent amount of work, but I am undeterred. Sacrilege, I know, but first impressions -- I prefer the CVT (coming from somebody who commuted 80+ miles a day for 10+ years in a stick Volvo wagon, so yeah, I know how to drive a manual).

·
Registered
221 Posts
True confessions -- I also got a manual last week. Picked it up to save it from the crusher. It needs a decent amount of work, but I am undeterred. Sacrilege, I know, but first impressions -- I prefer the CVT (coming from somebody who commuted 80+ miles a day for 10+ years in a stick Volvo wagon, so yeah, I know how to drive a manual).
Dude same! I've been driving my cvt for 5 years now and just recently got a manual transmission insight. Both have the hybrid battery disconnected but that manual tranny is hard to keep in the power band... It feels way slower than my cvt. Maybe I just need more practice on where to shift at.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly my impression. The CVT feels way more powerful, even with 301k miles to the 5 speed's 265k.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am also getting better mileage - around 56-57 with my CVT than some folks are getting with their 5 speeds. I also like the lower emissions of the CVT. It is certainly possible I have never driven a good example of the 5 spd.

I've said it before, but I think the CVT is really underappreciated. To me, it is a sleeper, desirable budget classic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am also getting better mileage - around 56-57 with my CVT than some folks are getting with their 5 speeds. I also like the lower emissions of the CVT. It is certainly possible I have never driven a good example of the 5 spd.

I've said it before, but I think the CVT is really underappreciated. To me, it is a sleeper, desirable budget classic.
That's some pretty good mileage for a CVT. I get like 38mpg in my CVT which is pretty really bad lol but I run HX wheels with heavy tires, and no underbody plastics, and I don't hyper mile at all.

I agree the CVT is underappreciated for sure. It's biggest problem for me with no hybrid assist seems to really just be the super slow initial 0-6mph. And yeah shifting in a manual is fun but holy moly do you have to milk those gears

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Aggregate of approx 10 mpg increase from: 1) Potenzas inflated to 45 psi.; 2) correct Honda spark plugs; 3) Scott's belly pan.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,420 Posts
Do you weigh your Potenzas, before and after? 45 lbs?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To DaBossK -- I drive for mileage all the time and am a little disappointed I can't get mine higher. Lifetime mpg on mine is 54.7 and I can't seem to boost that.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a CVT and I'm in pretty hilly terrain (granted not the Mtns. of Colorado). I think I'm doing pretty well for a CVT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts