Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah everyone knows about the trunk not opening because of the blue tab inside the actuator going bad, but I've got a trunk which won't stay closed!

Original Symptoms:
- Trunk would not open unless you used the key
- No whirring noise

I opened the actuator, saw the tab was broken, and I replaced it with the 3D Printed version. (Had an extra laying around.)

Trunk would still not open, and there was still no noise.

Checked Fuse 23, it was good.

I did some searching here, Scott mentions the blue connector near the passenger seatbelt.

I opened that up, the connector was corroded real bad, one of the prongs had broken off inside.

I bypassed that wire, got it connected properly.

Now the trunk opened when I pressed the button on the latch, but thereafter it has stayed open.

I figured more of the wires in that connector needed to be bypassed since the corrosion was everywhere, I went and did 3 more of them. (6 total)

Still no luck. So I figured maybe the latch button got shorted or something, I pulled apart the interior of the trunk roof piece, found the connector for the trunk button, and disconnected it. No effect.

Checked Fuse 23 again, it's still good.

I then tried disconnecting the actuator wire and the wires that goes to the lock cylinder inside the tail light. No effect.

To absolutely rule out an electrical short I then disconnected the 12V battery. Even with the 12V disconnected the trunk latch mechanism is still loose. If you manually try to make it latch shut it will just spring back open.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds like maybe the latch mechanism has dropped and the hook on the hatch and isn't getting past the catch. Can you loosen a couple of bolts and raise the locking mechanism a little? Does it stay closed if you slam it really hard (not advised)?

On the corrosion, was the car partially submerged at one point?

Yeah everyone knows about the trunk not opening because of the blue tab inside the actuator going bad, but I've got a trunk which won't stay closed!

Original Symptoms:
- Trunk would not open unless you used the key
- No whirring noise

I opened the actuator, saw the tab was broken, and I replaced it with the 3D Printed version. (Had an extra laying around.)

Trunk would still not open, and there was still no noise.

Checked Fuse 23, it was good.

I did some searching here, Scott mentions the blue connector near the passenger seatbelt.

I opened that up, the connector was corroded real bad, one of the prongs had broken off inside.

I bypassed that wire, got it connected properly.

Now the trunk opened when I pressed the button on the latch, but thereafter it has stayed open.

I figured more of the wires in that connector needed to be bypassed since the corrosion was everywhere, I went and did 3 more of them. (6 total)

Still no luck. So I figured maybe the latch button got shorted or something, I pulled apart the interior of the trunk roof piece, found the connector for the trunk button, and disconnected it. No effect.

Checked Fuse 23 again, it's still good.

I then tried disconnecting the actuator wire and the wires that goes to the lock cylinder inside the tail light. No effect.

To absolutely rule out an electrical short I then disconnected the 12V battery. Even with the 12V disconnected the trunk latch mechanism is still loose. If you manually try to make it latch shut it will just spring back open.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
The problem may be your original replacement for the little blue thingy. Sometimes they need to be sanded down a little to keep them from binding.

For *sean*, the corrosion comes from the same "roof leak" that causes the wet seat belt problem.

Sam

·
Registered
487 Posts
Will it not close at all or will it close but bounce around a bit? Mine did that until I sprayed some WD40 into the mechanism, then it worked just fine.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After much searching I eventually found a post where someone mentioned that having the seven screws holding the actuator assembly together too tight may cause the axle to bind on the case, so I loosened those and then it started working normally again.

So that works now!

But now I've still got to fix the two other locks in this Insight. The passenger lock never locks but sometimes unlocks. Driver's lock sometimes does both but not always. I know the linkages on the passenger side don't bind on eachother, but I haven't gotten to do any more diagnosis yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts