Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I'm trying to purchase a 2010 LX tonight with 64K miles. The owner lives in a retirement village. I don't know yet why they are selling. The low mileage gives me concern that it may have gone through periods where it hasn't been driven very much. I know this isn't generally good for the battery in hybrids. What kind of answer here would be a deal breaker for you? If I found out it sat for 6 months, I'm gonna feel concerned and consider walking away.

Other than that everything looks pretty great for the price. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool. I test drove it. Seemed pretty fine. There was a slight jerking when moving the car from a full stop. That didn't seem right but I've never driven a hybrid so I have to research.

I made a lower offer, but I'm probably the first person to check this car out so she said "Thanks but no thanks. I have to talk to my son." It was a fair offer all considered, but I didn't realize that as the first person seeing the car, I wouldn't have a lot of negotiation room. Strongly considering calling back and giving the full price before it's gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up the car for $5750 yesterday. 64000 miles on it. I think I'm in love. Most of my issues with the car have been solved. Needs some cleaning but that's not a real issue. I tried the coasting down from 35 trick and the reduced the jerking a good bit. I'm still learning it's quirks but I'm psyched to be rid of my gas guzzling Saturn Vue.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Did you get any service history? I would get the CVT fluid changed ASAP and have a dealer connect it to the Honda service computer to check for software updates. Dealers can be very squirrely about that because of an issue they once had with Civic hybrid owners. In this case the updates are all good. The last one we owners got a letter about and you should not have to pay to have them done. (Although having the dealer do some service at the same time helps)

I would also check the engine air filter and the cabin one. If they ever got changed I bet it was a while ago. Also, check the front brake pads. They can last a ridiculously long time, but you can also have a single pad stick and not retract properly. I sounds silly to "service the brakes" but when they last a really long time (because of regerative braking) it's a good idea to make sure everything is moving smoothly. Somewhere around here is a post about some stronger return springs member Cobb found.

While I congratulate you on such a good price, it make those of us who bought new a little sad...

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
+1000 to the CVT fluid change. In fact, if you don't have a history on the fluid changes, I recommend 3X fluid changes, one each on 3 consecutive weekends. The amount of fluid in a change is a little over half the total fluid. 3 changes will get you to 90% new fluid throughout.

Continue with CVT fluid changes every other oil change.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,419 Posts
What I did was I called a dealership with the VIN and asked if they could see if there were any recalls. There should be three -- both airbags and the roof moulding. I brought the car in, and while I was talking to the service advisor, I said, "Hey if you don't mind while you're doing that work can you also check if it needs any software updates, and apply them if there are any?" They did the software for me for free this way.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
+1000 to the CVT fluid change. In fact, if you don't have a history on the fluid changes, I recommend 3X fluid changes, one each on 3 consecutive weekends. The amount of fluid in a change is a little over half the total fluid. 3 changes will get you to 90% new fluid throughout.

Continue with CVT fluid changes every other oil change.
The three change to get all the fluid does not apply to the 2nd generation Insight. (but it sure applies to other Honda automatics)

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
The three change to get all the fluid does not apply to the 2nd generation Insight. (but it sure applies to other Honda automatics)
Why not? Per the owner's manual, the capacity of the CVT is 5.5qt with only 3qt at change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great tips. I'm going to take it to a dealer to do the CVT Fluid and filter this week. There's one 7 minutes from my job. I'm sure they will love to do a full look over of the vehicle to sell me services and also take care of any recalls.

I know at least one of the airbags was taken care of. I wish I had more service history but unfortunately the owner of the car passed away. That's why I got a good deal from his wife. The more I drive it the more I love it. Is there anyway to find out what firmware I'm running? I know most of the service was not done by a dealer but the airbag invoice that I have is from 2016.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The only way to check the software is by connecting the Insight to the Honda mechanics computer in the servivpce area. The only thing the service writer can check from their computer in the office is recalls and service history based on entering the VIN.

You can start with records from Honda by going to their owners site and setting up an account with your VIN:

Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Insight that had been owned by a senior citizen from new. It had 18000 miles and had been garaged it's whole life. The battery doesn't seem to have suffered with the low mileage.

The only downside with senior citizen owned cars is sometimes they can have the occasional dent or scrape......my Insight has a small dent under the door but overall the condition of the rest of the car is excellent.

·
Registered
622 Posts
so long as its been driven regularly itll b ok ... i'd b more concerned with the fact that its a 2012 and the piston rings might b an issue down the road which is a pain in the *** even if honda finally decided to give affected cars a fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
So far the oil level has remained the static on the dipstick......I've driven 4000 miles so far.

Time will tell I suppose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts