Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Honda Insight IMA battery is deteriorated (error codes 1447 and 1449) and I tried to disconnect the IMA computer and turn off the IMA Frankenstein switch. Unfortunately, both before and after doing this, my car has had voltage problems. Every couple days, the car stalls out and requires a jump. First the radio becomes intermittent, then the power steering and dash light go, and finally the engine stalls.

I've been to three separate Honda dealers, and their only suggestion has been to replace the IMA battery, which I can not afford. Is there an alternative? I've also chewed through a couple 12 Volt batteries, so something is definitely wrong with the way the battery is being charged or discharged.

Is it possible to successfully drive a 2000 Insight without the IMA? What is the proper way to disable the IMA such that the car can be driven using only the 12-Volt battery to power all the electrical systems? I'm on the verge of junking the car, which I would really hate to do, so any advice you can lend me would be hugely helpful!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Some times I read posts here "my battery has the dreaded code of death, I need to disconnect the IMA", why? it only makes the car harder to live with and if you cant afford to replace battery whats to be gained? My 2001 CVT has had batttery degradition code for some time IMA light comes on and some times "check engine" light also. What I do ? Sometimes read codes with scan tool to verify nothing new bad happening, other whys just reset system via negative cable and back on commute, life goes on untill I can replace battery, so what for crimminy sakes its a car to commute to work in cheaply. Over 140000 miles on it now and second battery but stilll dependable commute car (daily commute of over 70 miles).

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
I agree. Why panic. Just "KEEP ON TRUCKIN".

Willie

·
Registered
549 Posts
He says that before and after disconnecting things it was dying and requiring jumps. Sounds undependable and frustrating. I think he needs more help. I think the car should be drivable for a long time with a bad battery before DC-DC converter won't work so I suspect something else is going on. Possibly bad ground wires?

Don't give up yet, others around here have the advice you need.

·
7,200 Posts
I responded to your email, but will post here also.

Something I didn't mention in my email is ground straps. I should have clarified if the red 12V battery light on the dash is coming on. If it is NOT, then either the light is burned out or you have ground strap issues.

Disconnecting the BCM like I outlined in my email should keep the DC-DC converter on, but this isn't going to do much if the power is having trouble getting into the 12V battery.

Check all 3 ground straps; the two under the air box from chassis to engine/transmission, and the one from the 12V battery to the chassis. The one from the 12V battery to the chassis is notorious for corroding internally, which isn't visible from the outside.

·
7,200 Posts
Some times I read posts here "my battery has the dreaded code of death, I need to disconnect the IMA", why? it only makes the car harder to live with and if you cant afford to replace battery whats to be gained? My 2001 CVT has had batttery degradition code for some time IMA light comes on and some times "check engine" light also. What I do ? Sometimes read codes with scan tool to verify nothing new bad happening, other whys just reset system via negative cable and back on commute, life goes on untill I can replace battery, so what for crimminy sakes its a car to commute to work in cheaply. Over 140000 miles on it now and second battery but stilll dependable commute car (daily commute of over 70 miles).
I agree overall, but the battery can deteriorate to the point where it throws the IMA light immediately. But yes, the car should be able to be driven indefinitely with a bad IMA system, just a matter of ensuring that the DC-DC stays on.

I'm leaning towards a ground strap issue in this case, as you only have a few tens of miles once the 12V battery light comes on. It sounds like his 12V battery slowly dies, but the DC-DC is still operating. Yep, ground straps.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,920 Posts
Monitor the 12V batterry either with a scangauge or an instrument that plugs into the 12V accessory plug. (I've got one that I bought at Walmart and it is very handy for trouble shooting.) Like ELI said especially check the ground straps. If they look OK, loosen the bolts that connect them, spray them with WD40 or something similar and retighten. Sometime, especially in the "salt on the road" areas, corrosion is your enemy. I don't ever remember of a DC-DC converter going out.
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
8 Posts
2001 honda insight 12v not charging !!!!!

Hi guys I need assistance, I have a 2001 honda insight I am trying to drive without the IMA. I disconnected the BCM and aslo trurned off the battery, but the battery and break light still on. I drove it today for about half hour it was driving fine but the battery light is still on and i have a battery tester that I plug through the cigarette lighter and it reads that the battery needs to be charged.
does this mean the dc-dc converter is not charging the 12v? and how do I check the ground starp for the battery?
thank you in advance

·
7,200 Posts
If the red 12V battery light on the dash is on, it means the DC-DC isn't operating.

I am not sure if the battery switch needs to be on or off with the BCM disconnected. Try on, and see if that makes the battery light go out? The problem isn't with the ground straps if the 12V battery light is on, though it doesn't hurt to check them.

They're kinda under the airbox area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it truned the battery switch on, but same result even worst at least with the battery off it seems like the with battery tester after driving for a little bit the battery reads that it just need to be charged vs it was reading dead with the ima battery switch on

·
7,200 Posts
Are you sure you've disconnected the right connectors?

I helped the original poster of this thread and it seems to be working for him. I don't think it matters if the battery is on or off come to think of it. With the BCM disconnected, the HV Relay will be disengaged and all of the power will be coming from the IMA motor.

·
7,200 Posts
Yep, that's correct.. all 3 connectors.

Hmm.... I'm not sure what's going on here. As far as I know that should work, you must be having another issue.. odd. Anyone? :-?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi eli I only disconnected one cable not three what I meant by the three connector is that the end of the cable had three slots. So just to make sure that I understand you correctly do I need to disconnect three cables ?

·
7,200 Posts
Ah, well there's your problem! You need to disconnect that connector and the other two on the other side. Then you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
813 Posts
In fact, I suspect that Disconnecting the connector from the rear-facing end of the BCM is totally unnecessary, since it only connects to the voltage taps in the battery.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
In fact, I suspect that Disconnecting the connector from the rear-facing end of the BCM is totally unnecessary, since it only connects to the voltage taps in the battery.
While only one connector needs to be unplugged, disconnecting all three guarantees that it gets unplugged.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts