Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys make of this product? I have a local mechanic that swears by it- he doesn't sell the stuff, but recommends it to everyone. He's been a good, honest mechanic and doesn't gouge people, so I know it's something he *personally* believes in.

Has anyone used this product before? Just wondering.

·
Registered
466 Posts
probably a waste of money, but, as always, YMMV!

i prefer a high quality synthetic oil (mobil1 0w20) and a purolator premium filter every 5000-7500 miles. thats it. no other stuff added to it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran into him earlier today, was telling him about my new purchase. He reminded me to start using tufoil once my car gets to be about 5k miles.

I'm going to research on it. Pppl's opinions will be appreciated. I'm on the fence on this one, but the guy has a prelude that's over 300k, and he says tufoil has made a huge difference for him. Who knows? :?:

I just want to make sure it won't harm the insight.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Stay away from oil additives and engine treatments.
Quality products such as mobile 1 and Amsoil engine oils are expensive because a lot of research goes into them. Adding additives to oils screws up the balance of the chemicals. It may help if you use very cheap engine oil. but it's much better to use quality engine oil in the first place and not mess with it. Modern engines using modern engine oil can last half a million miles so don't waste your money with additives.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I agree with the others on the additives. As thrid party proof, I just recieved the Blackstone Lab report from my last oil change. A few short of 12k miles on Mobil 1 0W20 and premium filter, and the TBN (Total Base Number) was 3.6. I believe 5.0 is new oil, and 1.0 is considered low. They said the oil was in excellent condition.

Randall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts