Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. it seems that my insight lags. not that i am trying to race it or anything, it just seems that everyone else seems to think theirs has spunk. this is the only insight that i have ever driven so i do not have anything to compare it to.
I am thinking it could benefit from some good spark plugs and a new air filter. i havent looked yet but perhaps it wasnt changed after the San Diego fires.
any recommendations on the plugs?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,875 Posts
So where are you located? Changing the filter will definately help, especially ater all the soot that was in the air after the fires. It might be beneficial to you to meet with other INSIGHTERS and maybe exchange drives, and evaluate your driving style.

If you let the little 3 banger rev, IT WILL RUN. Most of the complaints about performance is directly related to how the driver operates the vehicle (relying always on "assist" as the primary source of power and not as a supplement.)............(My Opinion)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am in central san diego. i just got the car and i dont know where it came from originally.
i read the post on driving techniques that said it is better to get to 4th and 5th gear as fast as possible (floor it) and while the tipper does say it goes against logic, i wonder if that is how i shoudl be driving.
i drive it like a grandma. always feeling like i should be hearing the valves clanking at any time. wondering why my downshift arrow isnt turning on when i think it really needs to be downshifted.

i remember a long time ago when splitfire (or spitfire?) plugs came out, many cars could not use them because they burn too hot. it this something i would need to worry about with some high end plugs in the insight?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
The spark plugs are specific to the Insight (even individually lettered for each cylinder) and are good for 100,000 miles. Try dropping into 2nd or 3rd gear when you want to accelerate a bit harder. HTH.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Spark plug change...??

I was under the impression that the three Insight spark plugs are not only unique for the vehicle... but each spark plug is dedicated to a specific cylinder. I'm not sure I would trust some after-market spark plug for my Insight... :shock:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine has plenty of power in 1st through 3rd gear and even 4th depending on the circumstances. I'm often the first out of the gate :)

Just like any car, when you want to go faster you have to downshift and increase RPMs. You probably just need to drive it a little more aggressively if you want speed. And you have to give up the quiet electric car myth. This is a HYBRID.

However, driving like that uses more fuel so you won't the greatest gas mileage. But hey, I can live with 54 mpg given that my last car gave me 33 mpg and wasn't nearly as fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Plugs

I would recommend giving more time to experiment with the Insight driving technique before going with replacing the plugs. You may find it is just a waste of money (and needless hassle) once you get used to the slightly different style of driving.

You can coast at high mpg in 3rd as well, if you need to cruise between lights or stop-signs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
To put things clear about them spark-plugs.
Yes the engine is a 3-cylinder.
But there are FOUR different plugs . Because the thread NEVER starts at the same place and the electrode needs to be on the same angle inside the combustion-chamber for fuel saving reasons.
On the cylinder-head next to the opening where the plugs are located inside you have either an "A", "B", "C" or a "D" engraved in the head.
Depending on what letter you've got the appropriate plug needs to be fitted (Marked "A", "B", "C" or "D")
ALWAYS USE THE NGK PLUGS !!
Got the numbers here if anyone is interested.
:wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
kookmyers said:
i am in central san diego. i just got the car...
The Insight only has 67 horsepower, right? It weighs 80% as much as a Civic EX but has only about 50% as much power, and a Civic EX isn't exactly a rocketship. Depending on what you're used to driving, the Insight is bound to feel slower since it simply doesn't have a whole lot of power to begin with. If you're really concerned you could always take it to someplace with a dynojet and have it's output measured. I'd be willing to guess a good running Insight should put down about 55 horsepower to the wheels as long as it has sufficient charge to provide full IMA assist.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Insight has 76 hp with, and 68 hp without assist.
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi No 166:

___Honda’s posted specs may be pulled at the crank shaft and not at the wheel? I think Cakely had some Dyno work done after a mod or two. I don’t have the exact thread but the posted or linked graph should end any confusion in regards to if the HP/Torque ratings were pulled from the shaft or the wheels?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3t7v2mt0][email protected][/email:3t7v2mt0]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine got 54hp 55 torque on the dyno....but the ima was not at full....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Why not just make a 0-60 run next time you come across a relatively level, open stretch of road? If you are seeing 10-11 seconds, that is about normal, may vary some with driving style, too. If you are substantially greater times, you may be having a loss of power.

A serious defect would most likely show up as a poor number in the all-important fuel efficiency or a code in the ever-vigilant computer as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could anyone suggest a type of air filter... I went to a local auto parts place here in Dayton, OH and they had none in stock (too new or something). I have to say I am impressed with the knowledge on this website and forum! I bought my insight on 3/26/04 it's a 2000 with 40,000 miles. The LMPG is 46.5 which is very low. Thanks for the information in advance

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Spark plugs

I just replaced the spark plugs on my 2000 Insight, I think there is a misconception about the being different, there are four different plugs to choose from, whoever, your car shoul have all 3 plugs the same, mine are all "B", can anyone confirm if their 3 plugs are different letter.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Spark plugs

Much like the machining groups used for main and rod bearings by Honda (and other Japanese manufacturers) for years, its unusual to see a group in the outer fringe of the acceptable range.

I suspect that the same is true for the indexing of the threads on our Insight's.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I think the reason there are four plugs is because they are indexed 90 degrees apart, it has nothing to do with our cars having 3 cylinders, but I need to confirm if others have mixed plugs on their engines, I think every car should have all A, B, C, or B, but they should all be the same.
Any comments anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Depending on the machining process used to cut the spark plug threads they _may_ be all the same or different with 4 different indices.

It has to do with how much MPG precision was engineered into the Insight and how the shadow of the spark plug tang can effect it.

Its not "new" technology either. Racing engines have used this trick for years, although they typically index to within a few degrees, not a "sloppy" 90 degrees as with the Insight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts