Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be the thread I post to while I get my I2 ready to take a turbo. Going to be using a Greddy Emanage piggyback fuel management, either decapping my injectors or running my dsm injectors I have, a k03 turbo from a 2.7tt Audi, going to run at 5 psi(hopefully), and a fmic I am going to pipe up. Also going to be installing an alternator in place of the AC compressor because my IMA system is apparently dead, and I want to see how it does with just an alternator on there. Going with a GM one wire alternator to make it simple until I eventually fix the IMA system and put the AC back on. I installed my Walbro 255 today, fit without changing anything and used all the stock pieces besides the fuel sock.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Hm, won't that 2.7L turbo be oversized (and accordingly slow to spool/laggy) on your little 1.3L?

Something like a Garrett GT15 or GT17 seems like it would be much more responsive.

I assume you're just using the smaller turbo, at least?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Easiest and best route is to go with a GT15 turbo, and AEM's FI/C-6. This won't be the cheapest route, but it WILL be the best and most reliable long-term. I would not put such a big turbo on that car. It's a complete waste and not to mention, the Ebay GT15's have been proven reliable by fellow insight owners.

Also, don't de-cap your injectors. That's an incredibly foolish idea. Look at what injectors the g2 insight uses, do your research, figure out a car that uses the same kind, but a higher flow rate, and go get those off a wrecked car.

·
Super Moderator
4,796 Posts
Great plan. I will follow it with interest. This will be the first turbo on a G2 that we know of.

But DO NOT use a turbo sized for a 2.7L engine. Your spool-up will be horrible, especially without a working IMA. I'm using a turbo sized for a 2.0L Saab on my G1. The spool-up is late and the only thing that saves me is a strong IMA battery that fills the gap before I finally get boost. Chinese GT-15s are cheap. This would be a much better way to go. Better to do it right the first time than to have to do it over when it doesn't work.

What's the deal on your IMA? Very few G2s have failed. Please provide more information on this. Grid charging might help.

Sam

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe my IMA just had a one in a million short, and took the battery and maintainer with it. Currently there is 0 current from the battery at any terminals. The K03 I am using is essentially meant to spool of the 1.35 side of the 2.7 motor, and has a smaller hotside than the 1.8t k03's on other Audi's. That, and I am going to be running e85 in the car to combat knock, so the extra volume from the extra fuel should help the spool time aswell. Once I get photos up on my computer, I will upload them here to off more in depth information on my build.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, the majority of these pieces I already have gotten cheap or free, and thats why they are being used. Everything I mentioned I already have, aside from my k03 needing to be rebuilt, but I have am going to be buying a new cartridge for it so the rebuild will be cake. I have been advised to use the AEM aystem, and I may switch to it down the line, but for now I am going with the Emanage because I already have it and just need to get a new wiring harness for it.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Also, the majority of these pieces I already have gotten cheap or free, and thats why they are being used. Everything I mentioned I already have, aside from my k03 needing to be rebuilt, but I have am going to be buying a new cartridge for it so the rebuild will be cake. I have been advised to use the AEM aystem, and I may switch to it down the line, but for now I am going with the Emanage because I already have it and just need to get a new wiring harness for it.
In that case I guess just do it. You could always swap the turbo's later on if you don't like the one you have. I'm sure there are small turbo's out there with the same flanges as the one you got.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The flange isn't very common, but it is an absolutely tiny turbo lol. I have a t04 Airesearch that I am currently rebuilding that the compressor wheel itself is probably 60% of the size of the entire compressor side of the k03 haha. The intire inlet is as wide as just the end of my thumb.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am finally getting images to work. Here is the new pump installed and the parts I currently have. The intercooler isn't in place yet because this was just me checking to make sure it would fit. Filter and sandwich will be on in the next couple days hopefully, then I will have a picture of that aswell.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts