Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 mt running a rebuilt saab 9-3 Garret t25 turbo, stock ecu, cartech fmu, stock injectors, full catless 2 inch exhaust, it spools great running 5 lbs.
My problem is she runs super Lean some times other times it's 9;1 or so,
I can't figure out what's going on with it. Usually happens at wot

·
Registered
69 Posts
This would be in the tuning arena. A place i dont think the Insight community has as good a grasp on as it does electronics. If youre using stock injectors with stock ecu and youre running lean at full load then you need to look into why your fuel delivery isnt up to par. Could be the pump not producing, injectors reaching their flow limit, or the FMU not getting proper input to give proper output. Spooling is only a causality of exhaust flow. You can spool a turbo all day but managing fuel delivery and spark knock is key in forced induction. I can't imagine a scenario where going forced induction on stock components is wise unless you have done the math for fuel delivery and flow.

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock is good for 5 lbs plenty of ppl are running 5 lbs. Just want to figure out my leaning out and and rich issues

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
In my travels, and slapping a turbo on 3 of these cars, I can tell you the ecu is an absolute pain in the *** to deal with. The STFT is not limited to -25/+25 fuel, and it WILL pull everything you are trying to add with that FMU. This is the primary reason I went with an AEM FI/C-6. I know Sam(RainSux on the forums) is running an FMU, but I'm not sure if he is running an O2 fooler to trick the ECU into not seeing the extra fuel he is adding.

Also, why no pics? I would love to see pics of your setup!

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my travels, and slapping a turbo on 3 of these cars, I can tell you the ecu is an absolute pain in the *** to deal with. The STFT is not limited to -25/+25 fuel, and it WILL pull everything you are trying to add with that FMU. This is the primary reason I went with an AEM FI/C-6. I know Sam(RainSux on the forums) is running an FMU, but I'm not sure if he is running an O2 fooler to trick the ECU into not seeing the extra fuel he is adding.

Also, why no pics? I would love to see pics of your setup!

I have a fouler in the downstream sensor. Should I do one in the upstream be done to. I wonder if running bigger injectors would help as well

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
No absolutely do not put one in the upstream. As for injectors, unless you are going with a piggyback ECU like the aem fic 6, then no, there would be no way to control the extra fuel.

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No absolutely do not put one in the upstream. As for injectors, unless you are going with a piggyback ECU like the aem fic 6, then no, there would be no way to control the extra fuel.

Any thoughts on how to get it to stop leaning out and what did that piggyback controller run you

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,397 Posts
What are you using to monitor the AFR?
Maybe the turbo is too big?

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
innovate scg-1 wideband / boost controller.
Turbo might be a little big but the previous guy who built the setup didn't have any issues

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had it out for a bit today. And I noticed it is fine below 4500. But above that it goes lean way lean. Some times it does it sometimes not

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,397 Posts
Try changing your driving style and see if that makes a difference.

Instead of trying to get max. boost all at once, gradually go into the max. boost mode.

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's how I was driving it gradually getting into it. It will start building boost at 2100 rpm lol

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
What's your fuel pump duty cycle? You could be running out of flow. Not likely, as I'm using the stock pump with a K24 (~230hp), but it's worth checking.

Honestly the only way to get your fueling under control is an aftermarket ECU or a piggyback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not too familiar with the Cartech, but the standard RRFPU have swappable discs for ratio of increased fuel pressure per psi of boost. If you are running lean, you could try to adjust the regulator to increase fuel while in boost (if your has a similar function).

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's your fuel pump duty cycle? You could be running out of flow. Not likely, as I'm using the stock pump with a K24 (~230hp), but it's worth checking.

Honestly the only way to get your fueling under control is an aftermarket ECU or a piggyback.
Honestly I'm not sure how to check it but I am considering going to a piggyback

·
Registered
2000 mt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not too familiar with the Cartech, but the standard RRFPU have swappable discs for ratio of increased fuel pressure per psi of boost. If you are running lean, you could try to adjust the regulator to increase fuel while in boost (if your has a similar function).

I might get a new one instead

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
If your pressure regulator isn't vacuum referenced, that could be an issue. I don't know if the stock one is. As manifold pressure increases, the relative pressure difference between rail and manifold decreases, and thus the system's ability to deliver fuel also decreases.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts