Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Anyone know where I would go to see if there’s interest in developing a turbo kit for the Honda Civic Hybrid (HCH)? Yeah, I really mean it when I said we want to promote hybrids, not just Insights. I believe Honda has the best quality vehicle so I’ll stay with them. If we could find an owner in the Northern, CA or surrounding areas that would like to have their car be the prototype for a production turbo kit, theirs would be done for cost. Any ideas? Warrens ready… Jack

PS, Oh bye the way, these guys are not dealership, their better. No grease or scratches on any cars ever. They work on cars ordinary mechanics could only dream about. It's Friday about 6:15 am, will be heading east shortly, see you tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hi Jack, there is a good reason to use tubo mods with IMA. In the IMA system the ICE produces the bulk of the power, therefore, an icrease of 40 pecent power gains you a system gain of roughly 35 percent.

Not so in the case of the Prius. The Prius ICE contributes relatively little to acceleration so increasing it's power by 40 percent would have only a small effect on accelleration. Furthermore, if the ICE overpowered the electric motor the ICE would rev up wildly untill rev limiting cut in. It would be like flooring the gas pedal while driving on a skating rink! In my opinion a turbo mod would not work at all. :(

As for the Civic, I think fewer Civic owners would want a turbo. However, since Civics outnumber Insights by ten or fifteen to one, there is probably a larger market for civic turbo mods. I think the real market will open up when the 2006 Civic hits the dealer lots as they are going to be sportier than the existing Civic. :D :D

Forget a turbo for the Accord. It is already incredibly fast and powerful. 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Jack, there is a good reason to use tubo mods with IMA. In the IMA system the ICE produces the bulk of the power, therefore, an icrease of 40 pecent power gains you a system gain of roughly 35 percent.

Not so in the case of the Prius. The Prius ICE contributes relatively little to acceleration so increasing it's power by 40 percent would have only a small effect on accelleration. Furthermore, if the ICE overpowered the electric motor the ICE would rev up wildly untill rev limiting cut in. It would be like flooring the gas pedal while driving on a skating rink! In my opinion a turbo mod would not work at all. :(

As for the Civic, I think fewer Civic owners would want a turbo. However, since Civics outnumber Insights by ten or fifteen to one, there is probably a larger market for civic turbo mods. I think the real market will open up when the 2006 Civic hits the dealer lots as they are going to be sportier than the existing Civic. :D :D

Forget a turbo for the Accord. It is already incredibly fast and powerful. 8)
We can never have too much power.. hahah.. but like jack said.. i think it has the missfiring system.. tha cuts cylinders when you drive.. not sure.. but i will look into that also.. but for now.. i do want to turbo a civic hybrid.. if anyone that has one.. and want a turbo.. pm me or email me.. ASAP.. we can work out the deal then.. ok..

Jack.. hope ur trip is safe and fun.. don't race too many people on the freeway.. and hope willie enjoys his new exhaust system.. let me know once you guys have installed it.. thanks say hi to willie for me.. Willie, open up that exhaust system.. HAHA :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust Option

Hi Warren,
Willies exhaust option "lets the heat out of the engine". He noticed that before he painted it. What a drastic improvement, should enhance engine life, even without the turbo option. On the difference between insights with or without longer second cats. Earlier version with shorter second cat. Your exhaust option just needs to be 5 5/8 inches longer. If we used a sleeved pipe with a flange and clamp(as you suggested) that's a little overlong that would take care of the CVT's too. They could hack saw it to the right lenth for their year/model and Wa-La. 10 extra minutes. Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
Anyone know where I would go to see if there’s interest in developing a turbo kit for the Honda Civic Hybrid (HCH)? Yeah, I really mean it when I said we want to promote hybrids, not just Insights. I believe Honda has the best quality vehicle so I’ll stay with them. If we could find an owner in the Northern, CA or surrounding areas that would like to have their car be the prototype for a production turbo kit, theirs would be done for cost. Any ideas? Warrens ready… Jack

PS, Oh bye the way, these guys are not dealership, their better. No grease or scratches on any cars ever. They work on cars ordinary mechanics could only dream about. It's Friday about 6:15 am, will be heading east shortly, see you tonight.
Did you ever manage to turbo a civic hybrid?
I just got a 2004 civic hybrid and wanted to turbo it really only problem I have found is the ecu tuning for it how would I tune the ecu and keep the electric IMA working?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts