Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 687 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When I et back from the 6,000 mile trip, I'll see about geting the pictures posted.......Am leaving for Fla. NOW.................Willie :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The "Little Red Rocket" has landed in Venice, Fla. After 3,150 miles of visiting various states and relatives, the average MPG for the trip so far is 61.8. Mostly freeway or Interstate running with cruising speeds between 70 and 80. No malfunctions so far. Will be contacting two fellow Insighters in Orlando tomorrow for a visit. It is nice to be able to get 93 octane gas for a change...........Willie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Damn you willie, I'm going to South Florida tues-thurs (10-12th) to visit my mother on her birthday. Figures you'd contact me then :) I'll keep an eye on these boards and my email from there, but with limited access... hopefully we can meet up still.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WOW! Two thumbs up to Willie and his Little Red Rocket. That is one SWEET machine. Willie let me drive his baby and it feels as if it has the power of a strong V6 under the hood, without the extra weight. The power comes on smooth and strong up through the gears with no lag, and when you really put the pedal to the metal the car is very well balanced and handles like a dream. I ran it up to 80 something and it was straining at the reins to keep charging. Running 70 and want to pass? No problema! Its done before you can say "jack rabbit". And hey ya gota hear the exhaust. How sweet it is!!

The only problem I found was upon returning to our meeting place the thing stalled when I came to a stop in the parking lot. Whats Up That!! HaHa!!

He has done an extraordinary job of designing, locating rare parts, fabricating, installing and testing his turbo in "The Little Red Rocket" which is very aptly named. All mods were done without damaging any OEM parts. IE: the turbo and all plumbing can be removed and the car restored to a showroom stock condition. I'm a believer.

All those nay sayers should check it out before saying it can't be done.

BTW: According to the MPG read out (61.1 lifetime) it appears his gas mileage was affected very little if any. His Lifetime is approx. 5 MPG more than mine and I don't have a turbo

Thanks Again Willie,
Joe Gardner
"03 Red 5spd #0277

PS: Andy sorry you couldn't make it. Call lets get together with Willie this weekend before he leaves next Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would like Willie's car and a normal Insight to get tested on a dyno.
I want to see graphs!
I do believe in the Little Red Rocket, it's just that I want to see how the power and torque compares.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lil' Red 1mentioned that the mileage was higher than his so does this mean that installing a turbo will increase gas mileage as well as performance? I have a CVT and am always lookind for a good way to improve milage. and the performance boost would be a welcome bnifit anthough i fing performace to be no problem in mine.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If anything a tubro should lower gas mileage as it pushes more air down the engines throat and causes it to have to use more gas. I think as long as the engine is not at a very high rpm and thus the turbo is not spooled up the 5 speed can still use it's lean burn mode and pretty much be naturally aspirated per say. I could be wrong on this, but the vehicles that have come through my house that were supercharged or turbo'd always were gas hogs.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The "Little Red Rocket is on the launch pad. Count down has started. Leaving on Wed. 06/18/03 @ app. 1200PM eastern time. Primary route from Fla. to Ca. will be North I-75 to I-10 then West on I-10 to I-8 and then on to Campo, Ca. Expected arrival date will be on Sat. 06/21/03 in the PM. The trip has been great. Seems there are no Insights on the West coast of Fla. Will be meeting with another Insighter this PM on the outskirts of Lakeland. Will answer the questions about the "Turbocharged Insight" posted on this thread and post the stats for the trip after landing in Calif.........Willie*

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The "Little Red Rocket" has landed back at it's main base in Campo Calif. Met some nice guys in Fla. and had a great time.What a trip back! Total miles for the 30 day trip was 6,917.4 and the overall mileage was 61.1 mpg. Once I headed west on I-10, it was "PEDAL TO THE METAL". Cruised mainly around 80-85 just to keep from being run over. Not a problem encountered. Whats next? "MORE BOOST?" and remounting the Intercooler for better cooling. Next trip will be in August, to Oregon. Stay tuned................

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Congratulations on a successful trip. Have you had any interest from Honda?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
So....when are we going to see pictures?

I was looking at the rear of my engine yesterday, and it does indeed look pretty easy to mount a T3 sized turbo back there. Plumbing to the intercooler could indeed be a little bit of a challange. A secondary set of injectors could be added to provide fuel under boost with no effect on "everyday" mileage, though that would probably mean a second fuel pump as raising the pressure of the existing pump could be a problem...Not that I would ever do it of course, but it's a thought.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Couple of questions about the turbo:

1st- the silly one -- Have you put the 'Type R' sticker on yet? Perhaps a yellow Honda emblem :-D Ok. I've been hanging out at beaterz.com again :)

2nd - the serious ones:
My understanding is that turbochangers are best used for engines with relatively low compression ratios. The Insight has a fairly high compression ratio. Did you need to do anything special to not have it knock like crazy?

I'm looking at the picture of the install http://65.35.28.177:151/gathering/forced%20air%202.jpg, and while I'm sure it doesn't show everything, it looks like you have the turbo behind the engine, the intercooler at the front of the engine, with the red pipe going in where the air filter box was. Where is the air intake? If it is low is there the risk of it sucking in water, or is that the air filter behind the engine in the upper left corner?

Also, have you switched to a thicker oil, or are you sticking to 0W20?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The air filter appears to be behind the engine.

As for the compression ratio, if you manage fuel and spark properly, you won't have any issues. I turbocharged my high compression '86 RX-7, and LOVE the instant boost response created by the strong exhaust pulses.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The air cleaner is behind the engine. Extensive testing (both for area of intake cleaner and temperatures in the engine bay) and fabrication was done before I got it right. No problem with water or dirt from prior tests. Drove around a week in Fla. with numerous torrid rain situations and at high speeds with no problem. The ignition timing was the major concern of mine because when you add a turbo, the static compression ratio will increase in direct relation to the pounds of boost increased. The compression ratio now is probably over 17 to 1 as I am using over 7 pounds of "boost". By monitoring the timeing with my OBD tool, caution was envoked during testing. The "knock sensor" loves the turbo with no signs of detonation or preignition, even at full boost and 6,000 rpm. I am using 0-30 Mobil One Syntec. oil and do not antisipate any problems.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just turned 79,500 miles on the LITTLE RED ROCKETs oddometer. 10,000 miles after the Turbocharger installation. Problems encountered; NONE. Overall lifetime mileage of the vehicle is still at 59.6. The Mobil 1 0-30 synth. oil appears to be doing its job. (Still change filter and oil ever 7,500 miles) I recently reinstalled the stock muffler and will run it for a while to see if there is a loss in performance. Back to running at the normal 2,500 ft. elevation so the lifetime mileage will eventually drop back to 59.4. The hardest part of driveing with the turbo is learning to leave the SUVs alone. The turbo really helps in the 3,000 rpm to red line range. Without IMA assist I can run the " 7% desert grade" at 80 mph and still have power to pass at will. Been monitoring the throttle opening with my OBD tool and it is normally at 23% on level ground at 80 mph and the air intake temperature is normally around 45 degrees above outside air temperature while under maximum boost. Trip to Oregon is on for August. More later............... :twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
when on the trip north to Oregon, vear off I-5 to 101 Sonoma County, about 580 miles, we could do a photo shoot at the local Chevron station, I'll buy your second tank of gas 8)

03 MT no A/C slvr
driven barefoot

21 - 40 of 687 Posts