Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Let me know if you do stop by and I could run over as well, probably be the only time one would catch 3 Insights at a gas station at the same time. :D

G

·
0 Posts
hey Dazey If you have a favorite gas station, I 'd be willing to cruise by for a quick photo session. I'd like to get some B&W photos of at least two Insights at the pumps.

03 MT silver
brft drvr

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
James, the first stop will be in Portola, Ca. and will probably be around 7PM. Still trying to set a route to meet as many Insighters as I can. Right now it looks like the trip will be in about three weeks.....The whole route will be posted here in about a week...Willie

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Willie,
Why do you drive all over the country so many times?
Are you a snake oil salesman?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
No snake oil in use. I love to travel, am retired, single, and love to drive the "THE LITTLE RED ROCKET" any place, any time. and finally can do as I please, when I want, and not answer to anyone. And yes I am a desert rat during the winter months, playing with my "dune buggy" in the dunes of "GLAMIS"................AIN'T OLD AGE GREAT..............

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
While conducting a "pre launch" maintenance on the "LITTLE RED ROCKET" for it's upcoming Oregon exploraton run I measured the thickness of the 4 front brake pads after 79,800 miles. The results are:

Passenger side, inner= .252, outer= .255
Driver side, inner= .253, outer= .257
Per the Helms shop manual;
The standard mearurements are .310 to .350 with a wear limit of .060.
I consider myself a below "average" brake user and will replace the brake pads at 85,000 miles. :p

I also weighed the std. bridgestone tire and Insight rim = 24lb. 12oz. :)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Projected Launch and Expedition.

As promised, here is the update on the "launch" and time schedule of the Little Red Rocket. Take off from San Diego will be on 07/28/03 at app. 0900 AM. I-15 North to US 395 all the way into Reno, Nevada. First stop at Portola, Ca. at app. 6PM.
Leave Portola on 07/29/03 at 0900 AM and continue North into Bend,Oregon. Arrive around 0230 PM. East on US20 into Nyssa, Oregon. at 0430 PM. Stop in Nyssa untill 07/31/03, leave at 0900 AM and drive US20 West into Eugene, Oregon via State 126. Go south on I-5 into Canyonville, Oregon. at 0400 PM. Stay in Canyonville untill 0800 AM, 08/03/03 and "blastoff" on I-5 South into Ca. Primary route South will be I-5 untill around Gorman, Ca. at 0700 PM. Change course East towards I-15, then South on I-15 back to "Home Base" in Campo, Ca. at midnight. If any one wants a "meet, confer, and test drive", "E" mail me via Private Message with the name of the town and a good phone number and I'll get back to you. I will change the route somewhat for the INSIGHTERS. My passenger will be my twin brother by a different father. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Evaluation of Turbocharged Insight

As the "Launch Time" of the "LITTLE RED ROCKET" approaches, (Monday AM) I again invite anyone who wants a (View, Discussion, Test Drive & Evaluation) to contact me and I will do my best to meet them. So far the only meet has been scheduled with "James" in Reno, Nevada. The basic dates, times, and primary route to be traveled have been posted on this thread........Thank You...........WILLIE*

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Turbocharged Lift Off

The "LITTLE RED ROCKET" will be "launched" at 0700 hours tomorrow. First INSIGHTER meet will be with "James" in Reno, Nevada. Second scheduled meet will be with "John Wayland" in Portland, Oregon. Will be traveling with the maximum GVW and tranversing Oregon from Boise Idaho on the state highways. Sorry no one else wants a "meet". Should be a beautiful trip. Will post miles traveled and MPG on my return in a week......... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well, Willie made it this far, a few hours late due to an involuntary detour and some trouble with his IMA system. Guessing it was due to heat coming through the Mojave, as it cleared up once he got to higher elevations.

As a result, I didn't have much time to play with the LRR, but I did take it for a little spin. Step on the gas, and it feels like a normal Insight for about a second - then the turbo kicks in and your head snaps back :)

Took it up a long hill nearby. Mine works to climb it at 60 or so in 3rd - the Rocket hit 70 in the first couple hundred yards, and after that was pretty much coasting, with the bar showing over 100 mpg. Didn't try to go any faster, as the top of the hill is a favorite NHP lurking place, but it feels like it easily could.

Only downside I could see (besides the speeding tickets I'd probably collect) is that the exhaust is a bit loud. But that's minor, and probably fixable if someone wanted to mess around with different mufflers. Bottom line - I want one!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The standard muffler was removed app. 31 inches after the exhaust "resonator" and a "fake" exhaust tip was fabricated that exits the vehicle the same as the stock pipe on the right rear of the vehicle. A larger diameter pipe was constructed to the same bends as the stock muffler but exits at the rear of the vehicle in line with the rear valice. You can only see the modified pipe from underneath the vehicle. Hangers were constructed to mount the pipe in the original location as the muffler. A slight increase in noise is heard at idle and on acceleration untill about 2500 rpm but is not annoying or any louder than most stereos. Because of the turbo spinning at a higher rpm than the engine, sound wave impulses are changed (only go in one direction and are closer together) and the exhaust noise is at a minimum. It is held on with a fabricated double clamp and the system can be removed and returned to stock compliance in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Willie Williford said:
The standard muffler was removed app. 31 inches after the exhaust "resonator" and a "fake" exhaust tip was fabricated that exits the vehicle the same as the stock pipe on the right rear of the vehicle.
So.... No muffler? Interesting.

John Wayland mentioned that the turbo you used was from a Suzuki 1.0L 3 cylinder. How hard was it to find? Is yours used or did you buy it as a new or rebuilt part?

Any idea what the total cost of the system is so far?

Thanks! :D

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The turbo was originaly installed on a 1989-1992 Chevy Sprint. At that time is was actually a Geo Metro engine. Found the turbo in a turbo rebuilt shop in Alabama. Yes they are hard to find. The original concept was to budget $1,000.00 on parts only. (My labor is free.) Exact cost so far is a little more than what "Wayland" sold his super stereo system for and below the original "budget". (many hours or research, development, and fabrication are priceless.)

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's an interesting and unexpected side-effect that the drive fan of the turbo-charger essentially does the same thing as the baffles in a traditional muffler. It creates a pressurized chamber between the engine and the turbine within which pressure waves (sound) occur, but gasses are released at a more even pressure through the turbines, as they would were they released from a box full of baffles (a muffler). The difference is that you use the mechanical energy that restriction creates instead of just holding it. I wonder if that has any cooling effect on your exhaust (given the law of conservation of energy). I'd expect the effect to be very small.

41 - 60 of 687 Posts