Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Not exactly, DaBossk. Progress has stalled on the car itself while I tend to other minor projects. I spent extra time on the autopsy of the dead engine to gain a better understanding of the stock engine for use in the future on my daily Insight. The #3 cam journal chewed itself either from age or lack of lubrication (pics below). Common cause of death on high mile cars.

I acquired a decent set of 14" HX wheels I plan to repair cosmetically, strip and paint before putting them on the daily. Winter is coming so I'd like to spare the factory 14's from our (comparatively mild) winter road conditions. A Calpod switch is also a priority to limit unnecessary assist on slight grades.

Non-automotive tasks are also setting me back. My girlfriend recently bought a townhouse and I'm the free-labor Mr. Fixit. I've set up a squat rack, hooked up a W/D, repaired said washer, installed shower heads, put together enough Ikea furniture to kill a Swede, assembled a fire pit, you get the idea.

Part of me thinks I should have waited until competent mounts have been produced or a donor EP3/RSX could be located first to avoid the piecemeal parts hunt but none have been in good shape and I can't rationalize two dead cars in my garage with winter approaching. I may put her back together and sell so I can put my cart behind the horse when more free time opens up. We'll see. The dream is very much alive, execution my require a different approach.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Watching as I am just about to pull the trigger to buy a RSXs donor car, worried about the innovative mounts and axle fitting...

I might just go the Ryanthegreat way and use the stock insight mounts and adapt to new motor

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
If we ALL petition Brian at Hasport ([email protected]) to produce some superior K20/K24 swap mounts he may just acquiesce :D

Axles will depend on engine placement and thus length. Some have found success using off the shelf '94-00 Integra or '02-05 Civic Si axles or send the numbers to driveshaftshop and pay $300.

Mak

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As I'm understanding it, Innovative has four sets of mounts. K20 and K24 for both auto and manual transmission cars. The other sets are smaller bundles of these essential four complete sets (engine side brackets, no mounts....mounts but no engine side brackets, etc).

Keep us posted on your RSX find, onlyn8v. My focus is now on a donor.

Mak

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I picked up the donor the other day before I left for SEMA. 04 RSXs

Now I am in the process of collecting parts to get this party started

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Start that party with a thread and pictures. My project has been delayed until further notice.

Mak

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
I agree. Different build, different thread. Don't step on another mans feet.

Willie

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I didn't mean for that to come off salty. I'm frustrated at my progress but not you. It was more an encouragement to document your process so others may learn and you will have an audience for future questions. I'll subscribe.

Mak

·
Registered
50 Posts
Keep us posted on your RSX find, onlyn8v. My focus is now on a donor.

Mak
That was the only reason I put up my update- I would usually create my own thread.

Anyway, Im sorry to hear your progress has stalled- We just purchased another house and I don't have much time to do anything else right now either...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Guess who's back? Long story short, Turd Nugget was sold, Megatron was purchased (378k miles but rust free) and the project is back on track. As stated earlier, don't hold your breath on frequent or consistent updates. Keep solace knowing my to do list is being chipped away at little by little, only 30 minutes 5 nights a week in most cases. I have been keeping a notebook with progress notes to fill in gaps which I will post in the future. Onward!

Mak

Current state shot:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Four pages from the project notebook. Feel free to ask about a particular date entry. Let me know if it's difficult to read.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Will totally share my experience. I hope to have mine done before the end of November.

Hasport's mounts are reportedly going to be ready by the end of this month. They fit without modification on the 03-07 Accord 5 speed and 04-08 TSX 6 speed. They don't fit RSX transmissions. It's a partial fit for newer engine / transmission combos.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Four pages from the project notebook. Feel free to ask about a particular date entry. Let me know if it's difficult to read.
I track all my maintenance and repair on google drive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Will totally share my experience. I hope to have mine done before the end of November.

Hasport's mounts are reportedly going to be ready by the end of this month. They fit without modification on the 03-07 Accord 5 speed and 04-08 TSX 6 speed. They don't fit RSX transmissions. It's a partial fit for newer engine / transmission combos.

Yes!! I hope they come through. I have been waiting for a mounting solution other than innovative.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ecky: Lay your knowledge on me, I need all the help there is lol. Thanks for the info on the HID conversion, they are performing well on the daily.

Currently hit a wall with wiring and loathing it. The typical route is Type S harness (plus Type S intake manifold and TB), conversion harness, RSX ECU with Kpro. Easily $2k total once you factor in dyno time. Since this is a lower cost build with no track aspirations I need another option. Ryanthegreat1 has successfully run stock TSX harness and ECU/key/immobilizer, no Kpro or Type S parts but then my hurdle will be getting Insight gauges to recognize the TSX CAN bus signals. His solution was beyond my abilities (program and code an Arduino to convert digital to analog through hours of reverse engineering). Suggestions?

I mentioned in another post that I am holding out for Hasport mounts as well. I've been coversing with Brian for close to two years now on when they will be made available. I've got enough to accomplish til then.

Tryingbe: that is a cleaner solution lol. I'm old school and prefer tactile script, be it a log or book. Plus I write faster than I text or type.

Mak

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ecky: Lay your knowledge on me, I need all the help there is lol. Thanks for the info on the HID conversion, they are performing well on the daily.

Currently hit a wall with wiring and loathing it. The typical route is Type S harness (plus Type S intake manifold and TB), conversion harness, RSX ECU with Kpro. Easily $2k total once you factor in dyno time. Since this is a lower cost build with no track aspirations I need another option. Ryanthegreat1 has successfully run stock TSX harness and ECU/key/immobilizer, no Kpro or Type S parts but then my hurdle will be getting Insight gauges to recognize the TSX CAN bus signals. His solution was beyond my abilities (program and code an Arduino to convert digital to analog through hours of reverse engineering). Suggestions?

I mentioned in another post that I am holding out for Hasport mounts as well. I've been coversing with Brian for close to two years now on when they will be made available. I've got enough to accomplish til then.

Tryingbe: that is a cleaner solution lol. I'm old school and prefer tactile script, be it a log or book. Plus I write faster than I text or type.

Mak
+1 for wiring advice from Ecky or anyone else. I may also go the TSX ECU/immobilizer/harness route as well.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Here's a part list for you:

For 03-07 Accord swap:
-03-07 Accord long block (alternator, I/H/E)
-03-07 Accord transmission + starter
-Aftermarket final drive - you absolutely do not want a 4.7 (TSX tranny), and even a 4.3 which comes with the Accord is very short. A 4.058 exists from Gear-X at $600, and John Frana can make a 3.4 for $1200. I'm going with a 3.4.
-Accord engine harness
-Accord/RSX/TSX charging harness
-Accord factory ECU, immobilizer defeat
-Hasport mount kit
-axles will be specific to engine placement, we'll know when the Hasport mounts are out
-catalytic converter
-Rywire or Wireworx or CJs harness adapters - CJs is cheapest
-EM2 or EP3 spindles (4 lug EP3 is 2002-2003)
-02-05 Civic front lower control arm ball joint adapters (fits EM2/DC5/EP3 spindles and lower ball joint) - available from ProfessionalAwesome - *IMPORTANT* With these adapters, machining of the stock lower control arm will be required, needs to be drilled out slightly
-2.25" exhaust would likely be best for the 160HP motors, 2.5" optional
-A/C compressor will not typically come with the engine
-Clutch, flywheel (might come with engine)

Additional parts needed for 04-08 TSX:
-Any K series engine (I settled on an 04-05 TSX because they're very cheap and more powerful than Accord)
-04-08 TSX transmission in place of Accord tranny
-2002-2004 RSX engine harness
-RSX-S wideband O2 sensor if going with RSX harness
-2002-2004 RSX ECU (cannot be 05-06)
-Kpro for RSX ECU
-03-07 Accord throttle body
-6 speed shift box (RSX-S) or modify Insight's if you're going with a 6 speed - need to cut cable end rod and shorten it by about an inch to fit Insight's, to have room for reverse (hits the side)
-64mm / 2.5" exhaust, stainless or aluminum if not too expensive, resonator/muffler.

Optional upgrades:
-2012 Civic Si 6th gear (0.647, good cruising RPM)
-02-05 Civic calipers, rotors
-stainless steel brake lines
-Fortune Auto 510 coilovers for 02-05 Civic
-Insight top hat / camber plate (available from ProfessionalAwesome)

EDIT: Organized it better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here's a part list for you:

-Any K series engine (I settled on an 04-05 TSX because they're very cheap and more powerful than Accord)
-04-08 TSX transmission (can also use Accord 5 speed 03-07)
-Aftermarket final drive - you absolutely do not want a 4.7, and even a 4.3 is very short. A 4.058 exists from Gear-X, and John Frana can make a 3.4. I'm going with a 3.4.
-2002-2004 RSX engine harness for TSX motor, Accord harness for Accord
-2002-2004 RSX ECU (cannot be 05-06) for TSX
-Kpro for RSX if going with TSX motor, can use Accord ECU w/Accord motor and no need for kpro
-Hasport mount kit
-03-07 Accord throttle body if going with TSX motor
-Charging harness (TSX or RSX) (may or may not come with engine harness)
-RSX-S wideband O2 sensor if going with RSX harness
-catalytic converter
-Rywire or Wireworx or CJs harness adapters
-EM2 or EP3 spindles (4 lug EP3 is 2002-2003)
-02-05 Civic front lower control arm ball joint adapters (fits EM2/DC5/EP3 spindles and lower ball joint) - available from ProfessionalAwesome - *IMPORTANT* With these adapters, machining of the stock lower control arm will be required, needs to be drilled out slightly
-6 speed shift box (RSX-S) or modify Insight's if you're going with a 6 speed - need to cut cable end rod and shorten it by about an inch to fit Insight's, to have room for reverse (hits the side)
-64mm / 2.5" exhaust, stainless or aluminum if not too expensive, resonator/muffler. 2.25" exhaust would likely be best for the 160HP motors.
-axles will be specific to engine placement, we'll know when the Hasport mounts are out
-A/C compressor will not typically come with the engine
-Clutch, flywheel (might come with engine)

Optional upgrades:
-2012 Civic Si 6th gear
-02-05 Civic calipers, rotors
-stainless steel brake lines
-Fortune Auto 510 coilovers for 02-05 Civic
-Insight top hat / camber plate (available from ProfessionalAwesome)

EDIT: I can probably organize this much better. An 03-07 Accord swap requires a lot fewer parts. TSX needs more but is the easiest 200HP swap.
Do you know if the 5-speed manual from a 2010 accord ex will work? I was actually about to pick one of these up tomorrow. I was assuming that they were the same as the 03-07...

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
19 Participants
Makitadiesel
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing