Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I edited my post.

The transmission mount location on the RSX, RSX-S and 02-05 Civic Si are the same, and they work with the (crappy) Innovative mounts.

The mount location for the 03-07 Accord and 04-08 TSX are the same, and work with the Hasport mounts.

Newer Accords, Civic Si and TSX use different transmission mount locations which do not work with any existing mounts. You would have to make them from scratch yourself.

All K series engines use the same mounts, but if you want to use Hasport mounts, you have to use an 03-07 Accord or 04-08 TSX transmission.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I edited my post.

The transmission mount location on the RSX, RSX-S and 02-05 Civic Si are the same, and they work with the (crappy) Innovative mounts.

The mount location for the 03-07 Accord and 04-08 TSX are the same, and work with the Hasport mounts.

Newer Accords, Civic Si and TSX use different transmission mount locations which do not work with any existing mounts. You would have to make them from scratch yourself.

All K series engines use the same mounts, but if you want to use Hasport mounts, you have to use an 03-07 Accord or 04-08 TSX transmission.
Wow. Well I'm glad I stumbled across this thread today. That just saved me from buying the wrong tranny...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hasport did this for a very good reason. The RSX transmission mount location requires you cut into the Insight's frame rail, in order to move the engine back and up enough so it doesn't hang below the radiator support. Innovative just lets the engine hang down below the car. I believe LHT's K-Sight actually has the frame rails cut/notched to make room for the transmission, and to make up for this they build an aluminum subframe to keep similar or better rigidity. It's a lot of fabrication.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hasport did this for a very good reason. The RSX transmission mount location requires you cut into the Insight's frame rail, in order to move the engine back and up enough so it doesn't hang below the radiator support. Innovative just lets the engine hang down below the car. I believe LHT's K-Sight actually has the frame rails cut/notched to make room for the transmission, and to make up for this they build an aluminum subframe to keep similar or better rigidity. It's a lot of fabrication.
I did not know THAT was the reason why LHT did that custom lower sub-frame. Interesting. Well, great to know. I just texted the guy to let him know I can't buy his accord tranny. I'm so glad you responded today.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I cant remember if the accord shift box will bolt in or share several mounting points the same as the A2 etc. If it will, they are $67 brand new on hondapartsdeals.com. The accord shift box IMO is the best feeling out of all the old K-series stuff (the new K20c1 Type R box blows everything away).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Awesome info Ecky, it coincides with my research almost exactly. Couple tweaks on your list though: the Accord harness splits weird before it goes into the cabin. Element or CRV is a better choice IIRC (I will come back and edit years once I find my source again). The '03-05 Accords are cable throttle, '06-07 Accords and all TSXs are drive by wire. KPro won't run DBW so if that's your route an '02-04 RSX Type S harness + cable throttle conversion is the most common solution. I'm attempting stock '04 TSX engine, harness and '06 Accord 5 speed.

As for the shifter, if going 5-speed the stock Insight (or Accord) should work. For 6 speed the TSX (with slight mods) or 2003 Acura CL Type S (assuming with mods) will work. Stock Insight will work with 6 speed by shaving material from the box but some have mentioned it compromises the integrity. Your results may vary.

More to come.

Mak

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Long time no update. Still toiling away 4-5 nights a week, 30-60 minutes at a time. To summarize, I disassembled 3 identical Accord trans in order to make one or two good units. (Trans A & B have chipped case/selector, great gears. C has good case, chewed gears). It did not go as planned. Let me tell the story in one-ish line/one pic panels.

Bought a press and began tear down.

Countershaft ready for inspection.

Cleaned case(s) with brass bushes, Simple Green/foam degreaser, pressure washer.

Assembled and ready for sealing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Cue immediate and irreparable destruction of the clutch case. Looks fine here but...

My theory is the countershaft snap ring did not seat fully, resulting in enough impingement to blow a hole clean through the bottom of the case.

Anyone need a circular cup coaster born of frustration and coated in tears?

When I heard the metallic *pop* it made while torquing the bolts new curse words were invented.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Fast forward two months. After countless hours swapping all the good components to my spare clutch case, I realized a mainshaft thrust measurement was needed bc I was using a medley of trans parts together that weren't original to each other. An OEM Honda holder tool (left pic) is $317 for this measurement. After many attempts to find a work around I built this biodegradable one for free from my spare parts bin.

After many, many, (seriously many...like 16) attempts to measure the clearance with a caliper and a flat edge and never getting consistency I used this holder and a dial indicator to finally hit a decent number in the sweet spot between .11-.17mm. I added the proper washers to the case and measured again without the mainshaft (MS) flat washer or dished MS washer. It hit 1.95mm. Finally. Jesus. Now I just have to seal her up without it exploding this time. We'll see.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm not a transmission guru by any means so to say I was surprised is an understatement. I believe my reaction was, "What was that? Wha...how...aw damn. Damn. Damn. Damn! Dammit! Oh dayum! Daaayyyuuummm! Ahhhhhh!" Plot twist: I substituted "damn" for what I really said.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
If you don’t care to read all that text skip to the next two posts where my questions are.

6 month update. I chip away at different aspects of the swap until I hit a wall or delay, then move on to another aspect until the wall or delay ("conversion" and "del sol" in subsequent posts) resolves itself. I would much rather focus on one area and move on once it's complete. I digress:

Progress is glacial but mostly forward. 30 minutes here and there.

1. Sealed up the trans and nothing exploded this time. Gonna call that a win. It's wrapped in a plastic sheet in the corner for clean safe keeping. Still casually interested in a 3.4 final drive (one that isn't $1200...). 4.3 for now.

2. Sourced EM2 spindles from the junkyard and restored them with new bearings (never before attempted, see pics below), new brake calipers/rotors/pads/ball joints. Used a combo of Youtube and a Honda-Tech.net article ("DIY: Front bearing replacement") for tips. Yes, H-T is useful sometimes. One spindle down, one to go.

3. Removed the front suspension, ordered lower control arm adapters from Professionalawesome.com (thanks Dan!) and had them installed by DMEracing.com, a local bike racing shop (thanks Dimey and Kevin!). I had asked for pictures of the process of machining and pressing process for others but they were too busy with the upcoming race season. Luckily Mike Lewin's thread documented it well enough to help others in the future. Also got spacers machined so that the EM2 spindle can be used with stock Insight struts, negating the need for top hat plates or drilling the shock tower. Make sure to drill out the Insight strut bolt holes to accommodate the larger Civic spindle bolts. I plan to use Scott’s stiffer springs in the future so the extra weight of the K is not overburdening the stock springs. Would like to adapt a Koni shock insert or equivalent if possible.

4. The biggest setback and then epiphany has been my K20 engine harness that I had planned to use with Kpro. Originally bought under the description of an unmolested, stock '02-04 RSX Type S harness and one of the first parts I bought for this swap, even before the donor chassis. Upon receiving I did a quick inspection (I’m new to K-series in general, this is important later) and promptly put it back in the box for later use. Fast forward 18 months. After printing diagrams and literal hours of confusion mapping pins I discover it is in fact an '05-06 RSX Type S harness �� Since I had not purchased a Kpro ECU yet I felt I’d make lemonade and just roll with it. Got new ’05-06 diagrams and settled on Ktuner instead for management. It gets better. While attempting to mock up the plugs to sensors I discovered the VSS connector to be missing completely! Not a hack job either. The plug was cut and the wires concealed back in the loom as if it was never there. Keep in mind my wiring/harness knowledge is an enthusiastic 4, maybe 4.5 out of 10. While grafting in the correct K24-spec connector I also repined the crank sensor and knock sensor plugs as they are not compatible with K24s without modification. Moral of the story, you can’t trust the system.

5. Drained the fuel tank using the jumped-fuel-relay-hose-in-a-container-method. More details in the future as there is no drain plug on Insights.

6. Had a conversion harness made by Cjswiring.com (thanks CJ!) to bridge the gap between stock Insight cabin, ECU and K20 engine harness. All looks top notch but for a question concerning A/C wiring (pics of “Conversion" and question in the following posts).

7. Decided on converting to a Del Sol cluster. I'm just an analog guy and S2000 was out of my budget. My "Del sol" question is the wiring (Pics below in a following post). Any guidance would be appreciated. Wiring is my least forte besides general soldering and re-pinning.

Mak

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Question #1: Should my harness have a wire coming from stock Insight A17 (ACC) to RSX E18 (ACC) for the A/C to work? Mine is blank. Even though I’m running ’05-06 spec harness the pin is the same for ACC on ’02-04.

Update: Apparently I will need that wire added to my harness to run AC. Alas, the original purpose of farming out the wiring was so I wouldn't have to deal with these kinds of issues...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Question #2: Does anyone have any advice or chickenscratch related to swapping in a Del Sol cluster? I have some diagrams but the actual function of some wires aren’t spelled out. Insight pin X goes to Del Sol pin X is about the only way I can’t screw it up. I included my limited progress in the below pics.

Update: After referencing a litany of schematics and conversion posts using other clusters (mainly AP1/S2000) I now have a rough draft for my Del Sol cluster swap. It'll be awhile until it is needed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Ericbecky: "lame" encouragement is better than no encouragement at all. It is appreciated.

I recently discovered one can compression check an engine outside of the car so that's next on the list before I start bolting manifolds and accessories back on and reunite it with the trans of many curse words. Waiting on my stock Accord flywheel to be resurfaced. Speaking of...

There are two options: stock 20# Accord flywheel or 9# K20 lightened flywheel. I have access to both but which to choose? This will be a daily driven street car but traffic isn't usually a factor where I live given the 2nd shift hours I work. Thoughts?

Mak

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Public service announcement: stay on top of the valve adjustment schedule and do it! I finally did a compression test on the K24 I'd mothballed the past year and a half. All cylinders were decent 165-180 but one, which was 122, barely better wet. Heartbreaking. Before I committed to retrieving my Glock to put her down a friend suggested checking the valve clearance first. I respec'ed the gap as if it was routine and retested compression. The low cylinder jumped to the second strongest! Now all are within consistent limits (28 psi pf each other) and another step to completion is done.

For ****s I respec'ed my CRX as well and she runs smooth as memory serves. Lesson learned.

Mak

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
19 Participants
Makitadiesel
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing