Honda Insight Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Arbus - that clip is exactly what I was thinking of!

Love Mel Brooks movies - so politically incorrect and so funny!?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
This is my third swap since 2005 and by far the longest and most involved so the expression was indicative of that. Before I'd done simple D to better D series with minimal wiring changes and no mount or extensive mods.

I will need a good tune in fact, Ecky. The base one loaded in Ktuner will not suffice once she is back on the ground for test drives. The only problem is the painstaking conversion I'll have to endure to transfer your Kpro map cell by cell to Ktuner as I had mentioned before. I'm not even certain it can be done due to the differences in resolution, parameters, tables, etc. From what I've seen they can do 95% of the same things but through different ways and formats.

Yours is also tuned on 93, yes? My ultimate goal would be to run 87 (without knock) since it will be a fast daily, not a track car. I won't miss the extra ponies on the street that I'm leaving on the table with high test especially running a 4.3 diff on Accord ratios. My guess is retard the entire timing table a few degrees or just the high load areas?

Mak

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
After an extended absence I thought it was time to give an update. Plenty of progress has been had but documenting it is not my forté. Instead of showing what's been done by others (that I graciously assimilated into my build) I'll post something I've never seen on a Honda. Homemade heat shielding. Using layered aluminum No Trespassing signs (they were out of Beware of Dog), a riveter, fiberglass cloth, a rivnut gun, scissors and a drill plus an embarrassing amount of time later resulted in enough deflection to protect the fuel filter and lines.

Mak

·
Registered
2000 MT
135 Posts
Checking in over from k20a.org... Thanks for the thread!

I didn't see it listed but what header did you end up using? Looks like a k-tuned piece. A standard eg/dc swap header?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Sorry for the delay, I missed my notification. The header is a K-tuned 409 stainless budget. My DC sports ceramic "swap" header did not fit and hit the tunnel.

Mak

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I have woefully underposted progress info of late but this should update what has been done until I can come back and document.

Since the heat shields:
1. Exhaust mocked up and welded.
2. Cat subsequently delaminated from the wall after 5 test miles and rattled around like a dryer full of screwdrivers and forks. Cue 3.5 months of repair and delays.
3. New cat, revised exhaust length. Welded the repairs myself. In a word, ugly. No leaks though.
4. Spent a majority of the 3.5 months to reinstall most of the interior, finalize battery relocation to the rear, retrofit speakers under the back seat bar where previously there were none.
5. With the guidance of Ecky, proceeded to street tune all the knock out of an 87 octane ignition table from idle to 7k RPM and cleaning up fuel tables as needed. This took a while. Dozens and dozens of runs at 2am over the course of a month. Still not done but getting there.
6. Next up is continue to refine the tune. Push button start (as a hidden security measure). Suspension improvements over the stock harshness while keeping the goal of street daily.

Mak

81 - 88 of 88 Posts