Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who met me at the Tour Del Sol last year were able to see my implementation of the Corry Max regen mod. I mounted the circuit in one of the pop out plug holes above the change drawer on the dash. Essentially it consisted of a push button and latching circuit paralleling the brake pedal. Pushing the button initiated a short of the brake switch. Pressing the brake disabled the latch. The operation of the circuit proved to be intuitive, effective and reliable.

Since reading about forced auto stop in the “FAS it works!” thread I have wondered if a similar circuit would work for auto stop. Following up on the excellent work by Calpod, Highwater and Mike, I put together a twin latch circuit with a single activating button. As the circuit is solid state it should be able to fit into the same location as the old mod. The single activating switch is made possible by the fact that Max regen works when the transmission is in gear and FAS works when the transmission is in neutral.

A preliminary test worked on the bench. :D Next, weather and time permitting, I will test it in the Insight.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly right Mike. I will likely use a relay on the injectors as it can failsafe in the closed position. The other relay will be replaced by an electronic latch which will better interface with the existing circuit and some other signals such as a switch sensing if the trasmission is in first or second gear, neutral, and an input sensing if you are trying to start the engine. Naturally the whole thing could be done with relays, discrete semiconductors, or ICs. Since I wanted the new circuit to fit in the same size and location as my max regen circuit I went solid state.

No point in a full description until I'm sure it works in the car. I wouldn't have even mentioned I had it working on the bench, except that Dfiore seemed to want to design something like this, and there is little sense in duplicated effort unless it is for a hobby or school project.

The fuel injector wires dissappear into the wiring harness and this seems to travel through the firewall and down to the area of the passenger floor mounted computer. Where did you tie into the wires with the relay? I seem to recall it was in the IMA battery compartment. Sorry, I could probably find this in the FAS discussion but when I transferred it to Word Perfect it was 50 pages long! :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Kip
Be careful of the noise on the grounds. If you recal that was the reason for the opto isolators.The ECM and chassis grounds are pretty noisy, thats why I used a relay for the latch.
If you are not planing to ever tie into MIMA for control, and just use a separate switch, you may be ok.
The tie in points are identified with pin and connector numbers as well as color codes in this document:
http://99mpg.com/Data/downloads/related ... terfas.pdf
Good luck Hope it works for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts