Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2000 Insight into the dealership for the ECM product update yesterday.

Previous to the visit, the check engine light had turned on and off intermittently for more than a month - and happened to turn on en-route to the visit.

The new computer module is on order - but the dealer found two cehck engine codes that they were unrelated to the update, according to the dealer. The codes: P0500 (vehicle speed sensor) and P1644 (IMA).

I retrieved the car today, and the dealer said he could not replicate the problem codes after the check engine light had dimmed on its own.

He was admittedly dumbfounded and said their hybrid guy works on just two Insights. Maybe the ECM update will fix, he suggested - whatever the problem is/was.

Should I be worried? He didn't charge me diagnostic fees. The car appears to operate normal. What with these codes?

·
Registered
102 Posts
IMHO, don't worry, be happy. :)

P0500 is Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction. If your speedometer is registering the correct speed, it may just have been an intermittent failure, and may have been loose wires to the ECM.

P1644 is MOTFSA Motor Control Module Signal Malfunction. (NOT the IMA, but can be related to a failing IMA, as in my experience) If it doesn't recur, it could be caused by loose wires between the ECM and the MCM.

HTH
- Jim

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I had a P0500 speed sensor malfunction once, but I'm sure it was caused by MIMA as the engine was lugged, then brought out of lug via MIMA, and the code instantly appeared. It never came back after it was cleared.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just had a CEL with code P1644. This comes after replacement of the PCM in November 07, and that followed IMA battery, BCM, and MCM replacement in 8/05. My 2000 has 34000 miles. For the first year after battery replacement it ran great, and the battery usually sat at a 2 bars down from the top. In August 07 I left the car for two weeks in an airport parking lot, and when I returned I had my first recal since IMA replacement. After that the battery usually ran about 4 bars down, but it still ran pretty much the same.

Last November I got a CEL and code P0607 and they replaced the PCM. Since that time my battery does not work like it used to. I end up in forced charge on just about every trip. My usual commute is 22 miles with 320' altitude loss on the way to work. So I get to work with the battery nearly up to the top, and I get home with it 4 bars from the bottom and in forced charge.

Yesterday I did a reset with #15 EPS fuse and charged the battery to the top before going to work just to see if that would help. On the way to work the CEL came on for most of the way, but I arrived at work with the battery topped. When I left work the battery was past half way down, and I was in forced charge most of the way home. I pulled code P1644 with my cheapo code reader.

With all this, my mileage is still pretty good. I average 67mpg this winter with the snows on and the radiator blocked. So should I reset the code, take the car to the dealer that replaced the PCM, disconnect and reconnect the battery, quit worrying about this and just drive, or what? I'm sort of at a loss.

·
Registered
102 Posts
rm -
Please clarify -
PCM = PCU = Power Control Unit??? (in back, to the left of the Battery Pack?) Why did they replace the PCU?

Code P0607 is "Engine Control Module (ECM) Internal circuit malfunction".
Code P1644 also has to do with the ECM.

Did you get the ECM changed? A few months ago there was a product update to fix the ECM under warranty. If you still have an old one, this may fix it.

- Shewb

·
Registered
49 Posts
You are absolutely right; it was the ECM that was replaced in November of 07 (I can't say where I came up with the PCM thing). Since then I am in forced charge for at least part of virtually every trip. My battery just doesn't seem to behave at all the way it did for two years after the battery, BCM, and MCM were replaced. And now I've got code 1644. The mileage is fine though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maybe you got a defective ECM last November.
If you didn't get the latest ECM update, take it back and get a new one. For a 2000 Honda will replace the ECM under warranty.
- shewb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts