Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I won six auctions using Copart and now own four Grey Gen1 Insights and one Honda Odyssey after selling the other Ody. Re: the Insights, the 1st was a perfect car that was donated after its owner passed but it has an automatic transmission so..., 2nd was a MT in very good shape but a salvage vehicle (a bit of a hassle but legal now), 3rd was a local junker for parts (leaked gas onto the engine as I drove it away to an auto parts store less than a mile away - lucky...and crazy!), 4th was a local car MT that was garaged and super cheap. Why four?? I have no idea. I was extremely sleep deprived at the time though. I use(d) Cleveland Power & Performance - Late-Model Car Parts, Restomod, Salvage Rebuilds, Custom Cars
Phone : 866-236-5031
They are good folks. BTW, I am in Illinois. Copart, or rather some states, require the use of a broker. It depends on the laws of the state in which you live.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Dave,

What did it cost you to use the broker? Percentage or flat rate? Did you buy them all at once or separate times of the year?

Hey you can always sell them, they're getting harder and harder to buy tho!

·
Registered
57 Posts
FYI,

If a car is located in one of the following states then you may bid on your own without a broker: OR, MT, ID, AZ, WY, ND, SD, NE, OK, MN, IA, AR, LA, MS, VT, PA, NC, RI

Broker-required states: CA, NV, CO, NM, WI, IL, IN, KY, TN, AL, FL, SC, VA, WV, DE, CT, NY, NJ, MA, NH, ME

varies: WA, UT, TX, KS, MO, MI, OH, GA,

To answer your question, I bought mine at different times of year over two years. I was sleep deprived for a couple years.

I really like to research but given the fact that my first two cars were located out of state I was pretty much only interested in "Run and Drive" cars and in cars that were donated since I could only find out so much information. I searched VINs, hunted down accident reports and even hunted down a couple owners and spoke to two of them at length. 2 of the cars I won were from out of state and purchased sight unseen. General warning: probably 95% of Copart cars are insurance vehicles that were totaled and are being purchased by dismantlers who sell off parts or they are purchased by overseas customers who buy a lot of cars and then ship them and fix them and sell them. Gen1 cars are not in high demand. I HATE to see them go to scrap. HATE it. HATE HATE HATE it. But I have four! Recently TWO Gen1's were available for super low prices. I inspected them both. One was a high mileage car but cared for, the other was a low mileage car that was a salvage vehicle due to front end damage. I would have gotten them if their IMA batteries were in good shape but based on the very low lifetime MPG I assumed that the batteries were not fully functional. I also looked for owner info inside of the cars but in my area Copart cars are inspected thoroughly and all owner info is removed.

I understand how one can acquire ...40 of these! But I am no mechanic. Currently I have one on the road for me, one being repaired soonish, one for parts and the last one is in a rent-to-own scenario for a tenant. If I had some cash and a good local enthusiast mechanic then I would keep on buying them so I could fix them up a bit and grant the planet and would-be enthusiasts a chance to dig these like we do.

Feel free to call me if you think I could help you - 847-274-3680

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK, LASTLY, I have a detailed spreadsheet for Copart bidding that I am quite willing to share but I do not know how to post it. It has every bid amount listed along with every fee and a total. Email me if you want it. You will have to slog through a little bit of my stuff on it and possibly need to verify that fee amounts haven't changed but it was helpful to me to not have to add up all the various fees for any one bid amount. [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts