Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a business trip right now and ~200 miles from home. I'm also planning to pull the engine and transmission very soon, so ideally a fix (if imminently needed) isn't expensive or difficult.

I first noticed last week there developed a growl/grumble that followed vehicle speed. While parked I couldn't find anything rubbing anything that turns at vehicle speed; nothing in the brakes or touching either axles or wheels. I figured it might be a CV joint or wheel bearing, and I figured I'd just keep an eye on it.

Today after parking the car I rev'd it in neutral a few times and noticed there is also now a groaning sound which follows RPM, and sounds to be coming vaguely from around the bell housing, though I'm less than certain of the source.

Here's a video of the latter noise:

I'll see if I can grab one of the noise which follows wheel speed when I go out for dinner.

I've never personally heard a bad ISB before so I have no idea if that's what one sounds like. What concerns me is that both happened about the same time - I'm inclined to believe there's a relation. I'm away from home right now and there's a belly pan on, so short of taking it to a shop I'm not going to get a visual on anything. My first thought was that maybe I developed a slow leak from the transmission and low fluid is causing noise both around the differential/output bearings and around the input bearings, as they're not properly lubricated. Shifting is unaffected though, so maybe I can rule that out.

Anyone ever hear a noise like this? Can I drive the car for a few hundred more miles or does this sound like something which needs to be addressed pronto, even if I'm planning to yank both engine and transmission out in a couple of weeks?

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
My hearing isn't the best. but the only sound I picked up on sounded like a heat shield. Good luck, Ecky!

Sam

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
It kind of sounds like a noise I've gotten on a couple occasions - like twice, lasting for maybe 10-20 minutes and then going away. I've never figured out what it is/was, though. I've thought it might be the water pump bearing, or the idler pulley bearing... My noise has been less growl-y, though, more of a dry, ringing/grating whine... Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
THATS NOT THE HEATSHEILD,THAT WOULD BE A RATTLE,sounds more like a belt,i wouldnt drive it,,unless its to a well known shop,send scott a text and let him listen to it,my isb bearing sounded more like a clutch thowout bearing going bad. Sorry for caps,

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
Me, too. There was no need to shout at me. I was trying to help by reporting what I thought I heard.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
Ecky is more than capable of checking out the normal stuff. Personally I would drive it home.

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts