Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say thanks to everyone who posts on these forums. You were all instrumental in helping me decide to invest in an Insight. I say invest because I what I save in gas makes half of my monthly payment.

My Insight is a 2000 5spd with 53000 miles. The LMPG when I got it was 66.2. It has since dropped to 66.0.

I've now gone through 4 full tanks and I am somewhat disappointed by my average mileage. While its improved a little with each tank, I am still only getting about 55 mpg. Based on what I read here, I think the tires are the leading culprit.

What sort of mileage other drivers who are on 185 sized tires get?

·
Registered
34 Posts
185's take about 5mpg off IMHO. 55 is still low for a manual. I'm sure you know about tire inflation, alignment, etc. The real maniacs here shift 1-2-5, never exceed 60, and accelerate brutally slowly. If you drive "normal" expect to get about 55 city / 70 highway.

My .02.

Seth

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I have 185 in summer titres (60 if I remember). And it is probably 5 mpg.

But what are the other numbers. If you have bigger diameter tires e.g 185/65/14, the MPG display is not showing the good MPG and shows lower than the real gas usage. So 55 might translate to 60

Are your tires LRR and what pressure are you using. I see a big difference between 40 psi and 44 psi. I use 44 psi.

Check out the http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html site with your tire size to make sure your tires are of the correct diameter. Or to get the difference % in mileage

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tires are 185/60/14. I think this gives me a similar speed and odometer readout to the OEM tires, or am I mistaken here?

Here is what I've done to try and improve my mileage:

• *) I installed the 6"x17" piece of cardboard between the radiator and AC condenser.
    *) My tires are inflated to 44 psi all around (I need to recheck that)
    *) I recently changed the oil with Mobil1 0w20 and a new filter.
    *) I can't find an air filter and that looks like it might need replaced.
My highway-to-city mix is probably 80-20, and truth be told, if I had just highway miles I would probably get mid to high 60's. I've been driving much slower than I used to in other vehicles, letting my speed fluctuate from mid 60's mph all the way down to the low 50's in an attempt to maintain a constant MPG.

I can get lean burn occationally, but sometimes it feel like its going through the lean burn/purge cycle at a very low MPG. E.g., 75 for lean-burn and 50 for purge. Sometimes I do get lean burn all the way up into the 100's.

I don't know if that helps at all.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
OK then your tires are surely as big as the OEM (like my summer tires) and the MPG and MPH readings are correct.

Only probably not LRR and it is why the lower MPG. I do not think that there are other tires that are Low Rolling Resistance as much as the OEM. I accept the lower MPG as a trade off to the comfort and road adderance

I always forget. I am not as touched by the tire LRR factor as I drive mostly city. I rarely get lean burn anyway. I need to remember this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think it takes a while...

...to become really familiar with the car and its abilities and limitations. After getting Mouse in late August, I've only seen real improvement in my OMPG in November and this month. Only then did I start consciously placing my car in traffic with an eye to reducing the mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts