Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, but i dont think anyone has tried this...

My origianl front tyres have fine cracks all over the place, and I've decided to get something wider probably 185/60/14 to improve the ride and handling.

My problem is that the rear ones are in almost new condition, it would be such a waste to throw them away. I am planning to replace the front ones for the time being and do the rear ones this winter.

Has anyone here had experience running two differnt sizes of tyres (not on the same axle of course) on their insight? Should I put the wider ones in the front/rear?

Any advice/ comments appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Kenneth

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, for performance applications, it's generally a bad idea to run a mismatched set of tires. (Different makes/manufacturers/wear states).
In the specific case of the Insight, does this really matter? Probably not.

I like running wider tires up front in FWD cars. It helps bias the car to be more oversteery, which I think is more fun. I did this in my Celica a bunch of years back and was pretty happy.

If you do this, expect to feel a different handling personality, not just "same but grippier". Then again, if FE is not of interest to you, your overall handing performance would be much better with new tires all around. It's not like they're really that expensive for this car.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,921 Posts
tires

I have run larger rear tires on the LITTLE RED ROCKET since 41,000 miles. Find no negative handeling quirps. Larger tires on the rear will help aleviate that "wiggle" on the highways that have "rain" grooves. Calif. is notorious for "grooveing" their freeways. I use Goodyear Integras which have a wear factor of 460. Got over 100,000 miles out of the first two.

There is a lot posted on the site about tires. Check it out.

Willie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts