Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys going to the Grand Prix at Indy next weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I for one won't be able to afford it! Even if I could, it is unlikely that I would, since it is not very environmentally friendly.... :wink:

Presumably you are going due to your work? 8)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Me and my Insight (and my best friend) will be making the trip to Indy for the USGP. We're leaving on Thursday so we can be at the track for all three days of racing action. I can't wait! Last time I took the trip to Indy in the Insight was the 2002 Indy 500, and on that trip, I left Baltimore with a full tank of gas and did not have to stop for gas at all until arriving 600+ miles later in Indy. Gotta love that. And that was with two grown men, and our stuff weighing down the Insight and we still averaged 62mpg for that trip. I'm not expecting quite that gas mileage this time, but still, the whole trip I expect will use less than three tanks full, or about $45 I'd imagine. Look for the Silver Insight with Maryland tags and more than likely that's me!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well just make sure you are cheering the right team won't you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
For me, despite the fact that they haven't done so well lately, I'll be pulling for the Honda boys. I've been a fan of Honda in racing since Ayrton Senna was driving a Lotus-Honda, and generally will follow whichever team has the Honda engines. I'll be in my BAR cap all weekend, hoping that either Villeneuve or Button will be able to score some points.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's about the best BAR can expect is some (small) points.

We have a load of our people who have gone to BAR, many of them have since returned!!!

We are hoping for a 1-2 at Indy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok, sorry, I just got with the program and saw that you work for BMW-Williams. That's pretty cool. I too hope y'all win this weekend, because I'd like to see Juan win the championship. Its nice to see at least a couple of drivers who used to race in the States do well, and Juan was popular when he was here, so I'd imagine that along with Brazil this weekend's GP is sort of like a home GP for him, and I know the crowd would respond well to a win by him. So, while I pull for BAR as a matter of being a fan of Honda, I really do wish y'all luck this weekend. I really wish I could make the pit-lane walkaround on Thursday, but I'll only get to the track on Friday morning so maybe they'll do it the next time the USGP happens next June and I'll get to see you guys doing your thing up close and personal. Best of luck this weekend!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couldn't have said it bettert myself.

Go Juan go.

We are relying on him to do a good job for us this weekend.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As a wrap for my USGP weekend, I'll post in this thread my facts and figures for the trip:

2 riders (me driving and my best friend in the navigator position), along with luggage, cooler, chairs, and other "stuff" making the trip at probably the max rated weight.

Trip out to Indy, average mpg of 58.2, at an average speed for the 575 miles of 65.1 mph (including all time spent stopped during the trip for gas, food, bathroom break, etc.).

Trip home from Indy, average mpg of 57.1 mpg, at an average speed of 61.8 mph including all stops, and also including at least an hour and a half of stop and go traffic leaving the track for the 620 mile trip.

Total mileage, including driving to and from the track for three days (we stayed in Richmond, IN, about an hour and ten minutes east of Indy) added to the trip mileage from the trips to and from Indy from Maryland, 1,600 miles at an average for the trip of 57.8 mpg.

While the mileage figures are probably on the low end for most Insighters, for me I was pleased given that the car was basically maxed out in gross weight much of the time, and also that we absolutely hauled tail when we weren't sitting in stop and go race traffic. Not really any other cars I can think of where you can cruise at 75+ mph and still get over 55mpg, not even the Civic Hybrid or Toyota Prius can match the performance we saw this weekend.

For a car three and half years old with over 57,000 miles now, I'm pretty happy, and I think that this trip shows that the Insight is a great traveling companion even as it ages! I love taking long trips in my Insight, I just don't get to do it enough anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts