Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all the Insight Mk 1 owners Good News as from 1st April I can get a Honda replacement Battery Pack at a Special Price of £1840.26 including VAT
which now makes it a little bit more attractive than the current price of £2840 .00:):) This is for all owners in the UK Plus shipping costs

·
6,918 Posts
I am not sure exactly how much Peter charges for the BetterBattery, but whatever it is, it's worth it over the feeble Honda battery. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery Pack

Well at least Honda here in the UK have listened and have been trying to do something on the pricing of this part , Having not experienced any othe pack in the Insight I know the original packs in some cars are still going strong even after 10years, so would hope these replacement packs will go the same distance,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mark

I don,t think I will sell it just yet ,maybe later on this year as I am thinking of moving abroad next year

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Very Significant development.

Hi to all the Insight Mk 1 owners Good News as from 1st April I can get a Honda replacement Battery Pack at a Special Price of £1840.26 including VAT
which now makes it a little bit more attractive than the current price of £2840 .00:):) This is for all owners in the UK Plus shipping costs
This is a very significant and welcome development. ;) Who do owners have to approach to get this price? Is there a letter or some reference/contact. Is the price being adjusted on the dealership parts lists? Does the price include fitting? If not how much is that?

To clear up ambiguity the price I charge for the 'BetterBattery' is currently £2000 inc fitting. That also includes the Perkins once over on the car at my place, free advice and trip to the local breakfast cafe. That's going to be on par with the new Oem price once you add fitting. The BB warranty is two years rtb not sure about the Oem one?

I'm happy for everyone in the UK including me that Honda have got a bit of a grip, as the battery replacements were starting to encroach a lot into my R&D time, and this will at least enable everyone who wishes to do so to get one and have it fitted locally and more promptly.

Remember the old battery is your property so keep hold of it if getting an Oem one fitted.
We need the old cases and cells for when the Oem supply dries up.

I have stickied this thread and edited the title so it stands out and is easier to find.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi The price quoted excludes fitting ,however the official factory time for replacement is 2.2 hours allowing for the fact the average dealer labour rate is around £90 an hour including VAT so around £200 for fitting .

The price list is being adjusted from 1st April by Honda to reflect the reduction .The price I have quoted should be available nationally with a little negotiation with your local dealer if not get back to me where we will supply at the quoted price .

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Steve, that is good news. Thanks very much for following this through.

·
Registered
958 Posts
"NEW" OEM battery pack?

Will Honda document that these replacement battery packs are ENTIRELY NEW and not "Frankenstein Refurbs"? The Frankenstein replacement battery packs used in the warranty adjustments made by Honda here in the USA are "refurbished packs" re-manufactured using old "serviceable/reuseable" cells gleaned from returned failed packs, some having seen service for as much as 12 years or more. Some of these Frankenstein packs fail in less than a year of service.

If in fact these are "ENTIRELY NEW" battery packs, why have these not been used in the warranty adjustments made in the USA?

Keep you hand on your wallet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had confirmation from Honda UK that the Battery Packs are brand New not rebuilt , I cannot comment on what goes on elswhere in the world as each country operates differently

·
Registered
958 Posts
Require Documentation

Based on my own experiences with Honda Customer service, only a WRITTEN documentation warranteeing the OEM quality and asurance of a NEW part would be sufficient. Even so, these guys may be able to find some way to weasel out of their responsibilities, especially at the dealer level.

If I sound paranoid, be assured, there is reason for my cautionary word.

·
6,918 Posts
My understanding as of late is that warranty packs are rebuilt, but if you buy a pack out of pocket it is brand new.

Someone mentioned taking Honda to court, as it's a reasonable expectation that a warranty repair is of the same quality as the OEM part, but that is obviously not the case with a rebuilt pack. I think this is a good idea. Honda isn't exactly on my good side at the moment, I'd like to see someone stick it to them regarding this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whilst I understand you guys have had problems with Honda America and the question of the standards of replacement Battery Packs ,here in the UK I have been given written confirmation that the replacement Battery Packs are Brand New and are not rebuilt units, you do have to bare in mind we did not enjoy 10 year Honda warranty on this item like you have in the USA

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I have had confirmation from Honda UK that the Battery Packs are brand New not rebuilt , I cannot comment on what goes on elswhere in the world as each country operates differently
All I can say is that Honda reassures me that the ones here are new also. They also reassure me that they don't rebuild them despite two different people telling me about two different facilities on the west coast that batteries go to and batteries come from. One is near Bellevue WA.

I don't believe them.

They also appear to have another supplier of cells, as Civics now have two different sets of programming depending on the code on the battery. The newer one does not use the PTC circuit and will throw an error if it is not disconnected. This is how they keep the wrong battery from being matched up to the wrong software. The newest batteries have the PTC cut and will throw a P1568 (actually a P1570 on a Civic) if they are used with the older software. The newer software will similarly complain if it is given a functional PTC circuit.

One important note is that there is no similar program for the Insights, so they're not getting the new cells. I still think they're getting refurbished packs, especially since there are two different packs available: one at $2400 with a one year warranty and one at $3000 with a three year warranty.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Civic IMA hybrid pack

The Civic, launched about 2003 has a similar set of twenty 7.2V sticks as the G1 Insight, the case is not the same and only 3 thermistors, not 4 as in the Insight, but the potential was there for a cheaper battery rebuild.

Civic pack was priced at about £1800, £1000 less than the Insight pack.

The Civic pack, has the price been revised?

Part number of Civic pack is 1D010-PZA-003

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rdw

Stock Remaining CAN/US 36 & UK/EUROPE/REST OF WORLD 48
@Peter.
Could you explain to me the difference between US, UK and RDW battery packs?

I am an expatriate living in Germany since '68. In 2000 the Honda dealers had approx 140 Insights in the showrooms. Honda decided in the end not to put the Insight1 on the market and the cars were sold as used "demo" models.
I now own 2 of them. According to the above definition, they should be RDW production, but I can imagine that they came from Honda UK. Does anyone know more?
My two now have approaching 300,000 and 200,000 km respectively, but on both, the battery packs are nearly dead. So I am starting to get unterested in replacement packs.
Maybe it's time for another UK visit?
Peter, could I approach you directly? Email address?

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
My e-mail is in my signature. You can buy new Insight packs in the UK now from Honda for the same price I sell the Better battery packs for £2000, so you could visit a dealer on the south coast of the UK;)

No idea what RDW means:?

·
Registered
128 Posts
My e-mail is in my signature.
ok, got it! Thanks

No idea what RDW means:?
Sorry, that was German "Rest der Welt (RdW)" = rest of the world.
I used to dream in English, bit now I sometimes forget to think before turning the ignition key ;-)

The idea with the south coast is brilliant! Maybe I could even sort out an arrangement with a German Honda representative, maybe buy the battery in UK and have it fitted here. Thanks for the help Peter.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
30 Participants
Supless
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing