Honda Insight Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
When I got my new/replacment battery back 2.5 years ago Honda told me it's a new one. I'm now pretty sure it was new because I never ever had a problem with it since its install and all subpacks are well balanced (within 0.05 V). $2000 or £1800 are the price I've paid for mine as well. It's well worth it.

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Just to point out the battery in the below e-bay ad has just been replaced as it threw an ima code. So it needs a rebuild.

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
Mark Dixon has written in this month's Octane magazine (September p171) that 'the price [for replacement battery pack] has now come down and a brand new pack costs about £1740 including VAT.'
Mark has now had a replacement battery fitted at 'Honda's technical centre near Heathrow' for 'roughly £1900'. You can read about it (3 pictures too!) in Octane April 2013 (p151 for WHS browsers).

He also notes his mileage is 178,000 and lmpg 71.7.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That must be the Honda centre located at Slough, how did he wangle that privilege instead of a Dealer?
That's where all the press cars get looked after, mine's got 2 or three stamps from them thanks to it's previous owner, who was the founder of EVO magazine. I'd like it to go back to them, but instead will have to find a good local (Midlands) Honda dealer. Anyone got any recommendations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well that's going in the right direction! Do you or any of the other members know where I can get a reliable load tester for the sticks. currently trying to rebuild mine?

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
Harry

If you have already removed your IMA pack then I have a battery cycler you can borrow for a month for £25 collection only.
I also have a huge stock of spare sticks which you can select at random from my stock £6.00 each collection only.

If you want to know about my UK IMA Battery services then look at
The Hybrid Expert

If you want to pop up to mine i'll give a you stick cycling demo and an hour of my time.

I'm away from 12th June until beginning of July and my only availability before I go is this Friday AM or PM or Monday during the day.

I have new 8ah Better Batteries in stock of course and we could fit a new one before I go on Monday ;)

If you are rebuilding your old pack you def need a grid charger to have any hope of it lasting a reasonable amount of time.

Peter

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd like it to[...] find a good local (Midlands) Honda dealer. Anyone got any recommendations?
I've been using Startin Honda at Worcester since 2002. I went there because a mate (sadly now deceased, may he rest in peace) who bought his Insight after having a ride in mine was chuffed with their service.

In my turn, I too have been satisfied, and a few years ago, talking to some senior Honda bods at an event where the CR-Z was being shown off, they weren't at all surprised that I should speak highly of that dealership.

However, three caveats.

Firstly, they once lost my service book after I'd posted it to them for stamping (having forgotten to take it in). Or maybe it never reached them.

Secondly, in the last couple of years they've routinely lost Dzus and secured my skirt with cable ties.

Thirdly, their former dealer principal John Bentley retired one or two years ago, and I wonder (see para above) if there's been some change in the quality culture.

All that said, I'm continuing to use them, even though there are several dealers nearer to me (I'm between Derby and Nottingham).

·
and two dogs
319 Posts
I've been using Startin Honda at Worcester since 2002.
Fascinating - thanks for the info.

Having moved to the area and not knowing any better, we went to Telford (JT Hughes) for service and the head gasket. Nothing to recommend them - they were very slow over the Christmas break and didn't show a lot of initiative when ordering parts but basically OK and no horror stories.

I am tempted to use them again, now they've seen the car and worked on it, but will try Worcester if that doesn't work out.

[004 eh? Nice]

·
Registered
79 Posts
In the end I used Avonvale Honda in Coventry, they were quite efficient, apart from forgetting to stamp the book (I'd specifically left it out on the passenger seat, and they'd put it back, so I assumed they'd done it until I checked a couple of days later) but did it straight away several weeks later when I was next in the area. I even got a sneaky test drive in a CRZ while I was there. I was expecting to be charmed by it, and it's a nice car, but it didn't make me smile like the Insight.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Hi LeftField-UK, could you be a bit more specific with your location? You can't be in Cov or you would be on here asking for new wheels by now, so where are you :eek:) I am in Sutton Coldfield and commute to Gaydon.
My 2001 car is at 130,000 miles and 88.0 mpg on the original battery, but the ima now has a mind of it's own, working only some of the time, preferring hot days?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am near Daventry. 88.0mpg!! I dream of getting that, my best ever on a single tankful has been 81, and I have just managed to get lifetime average to 69.1. I saw another grey one like mine in the car park at JLR (Gaydon) the other day, was that yours?

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
We are going off topic here, but yes, grey P13 MPG. On holls this week, but if you work at Gaydon, come find me in the G dec model shop and introduce yourself. Given your low mileage figures I will be checking the size of your right foot!
I'm worried that fitting moon discs will cause the underlying wheel surface to become a horrendous "armpit" but I will try to find a local firm to make some anyway.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
The trouble with those is they seem to screw into your existing wheel rims. They also leave a bit of your wheel showing. They are also very pricey.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
61 - 80 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
30 Participants
Supless
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing